BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 0h, 1m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 5561MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: SSL Not Fully Secure        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 am 

Favourite OS
All Windows operating systems
So I found something odd about this site, and that is its connection, whether it's secure or not. When I view topics, the part next to the URL says "You're connection to this site is not fully secure", and says that my information is private, but attackers might be able to modify the contents of the site. This is weird because the URL has HTTPS, and that is used for establishing secure connections for websites, plus there are no "images" that attackers might change. But the SSL is secure on other places on BetaArchive, such as the homepage and the main forum board. I can't embed images as a newly registered member, so I can't show you a screenshot, but if you click the little button next to the URL, you will see what I mean.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSL Not Fully Secure        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 SP1 (7601)
If a member has an image embedded in their signature or a forum post that, for example, isn't an https (secure) link, it will show that message. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSL Not Fully Secure        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 am 

DarkenMoon wrote:
If a member has an image embedded in their signature or a forum post that, for example, isn't an https (secure) link, it will show that message. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

But isn't embeding non-animated images not alowed acording to the website's image policy?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSL Not Fully Secure        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:36 pm 

Favourite OS
All Windows operating systems
A.S. aka nanocomp.invent. wrote:
DarkenMoon wrote:

But isn't embeding non-animated images not alowed acording to the website's image policy?

Maybe I could get a browser extension that can force HTTPS, then the site's SSL could be fully secure. I was just making this topic to see if this happened to other users, or if it was just me. Not that it really matters though.

P.S. I have seen a lot of embedded images on this site from other BetaArchive members, but they have higher roles/ranks than me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSL Not Fully Secure        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:11 pm 
Administrator

Embedding pictures is not a problem as long as you use our own image uploader and not use an external source. Of course you can post images on the forum but we don't want any external linking since we want to avoid images breaking if the source changes.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: SSL Not Fully Secure        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
Take in mind that you might be the only one who sees this issue. Look this:

I know it's in Spanish but it's clear what it says.

I've seen this kind of issue before and it's related with your root certificates not being updated and/or using an outdated browser

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: SSL Not Fully Secure        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MinWin
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
Take in mind that you might be the only one who sees this issue. Look this:

Urm...
JonathonWyble wrote:
When I view topics, the part next to the URL says "You're connection to this site is not fully secure", and says that my information is private, but attackers might be able to modify the contents of the site.

From what I observed with the latest Firefox nightly, a similar message appears when an image in a post or signature is loaded over plaintext HTTP (e.g. mrp's signature in this thread :P) You really don't have to worry, your login information is of course transported securely over HTTPS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSL Not Fully Secure        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I can confirm that there is an issue, for one mrpijey's signature image is served over HTTP, signatures are probably the main cause.
This video explains how to change all HTTP links in a page to HTTPS: https://youtu.be/aN4o5BtuTAk

Top  Profile