SSL Not Fully Secure

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
JonathonWyble

SSL Not Fully Secure

Post by JonathonWyble »

So I found something odd about this site, and that is its connection, whether it's secure or not. When I view topics, the part next to the URL says "You're connection to this site is not fully secure", and says that my information is private, but attackers might be able to modify the contents of the site. This is weird because the URL has HTTPS, and that is used for establishing secure connections for websites, plus there are no "images" that attackers might change. But the SSL is secure on other places on BetaArchive, such as the homepage and the main forum board. I can't embed images as a newly registered member, so I can't show you a screenshot, but if you click the little button next to the URL, you will see what I mean.

DarkenMoon
Donator

Re: SSL Not Fully Secure

Post by DarkenMoon »

If a member has an image embedded in their signature or a forum post that, for example, isn't an https (secure) link, it will show that message. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

A.S. aka nanocomp.invent.

Post by A.S. aka nanocomp.invent. »

DarkenMoon wrote:If a member has an image embedded in their signature or a forum post that, for example, isn't an https (secure) link, it will show that message. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
But isn't embeding non-animated images not alowed acording to the website's image policy?

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

A.S. aka nanocomp.invent. wrote:
DarkenMoon wrote:If a member has an image embedded in their signature or a forum post that, for example, isn't an https (secure) link, it will show that message. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
But isn't embeding non-animated images not alowed acording to the website's image policy?
Maybe I could get a browser extension that can force HTTPS, then the site's SSL could be fully secure. I was just making this topic to see if this happened to other users, or if it was just me. Not that it really matters though.

P.S. I have seen a lot of embedded images on this site from other BetaArchive members, but they have higher roles/ranks than me.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Embedding pictures is not a problem as long as you use our own image uploader and not use an external source. Of course you can post images on the forum but we don't want any external linking since we want to avoid images breaking if the source changes.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Take in mind that you might be the only one who sees this issue. Look this:

I know it's in Spanish but it's clear what it says.

I've seen this kind of issue before and it's related with your root certificates not being updated and/or using an outdated browser

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:Take in mind that you might be the only one who sees this issue. Look this:
Urm...
JonathonWyble wrote:When I view topics, the part next to the URL says "You're connection to this site is not fully secure", and says that my information is private, but attackers might be able to modify the contents of the site.
From what I observed with the latest Firefox nightly, a similar message appears when an image in a post or signature is loaded over plaintext HTTP (e.g. mrp's signature in this thread :P) You really don't have to worry, your login information is of course transported securely over HTTPS.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

kgvelkov

Post by kgvelkov »

I can confirm that there is an issue, for one mrpijey's signature image is served over HTTP, signatures are probably the main cause.
This video explains how to change all HTTP links in a page to HTTPS: https://youtu.be/aN4o5BtuTAk