BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 5h, 9m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 6913MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:11 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 1111
I have an iMac G4 (PowerMac4,2 | 800MHz), and I want to try Mac OS X Server 1.2 on it
Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.4, and classic Mac OS 9.2.2 work pretty fine
I downloaded a disc file of ver 1.2v3, that supposedly works in the eMac, but it doesn't boot :(
The first eMac and the iMac I have shares a lots of specs, so it should work
I tried installing from Mac OS 9.2.2, and nothing (Missing folder)
Tried to boot from OF, nothing (
Code:
DEFAULY CATCH!, code=70 at   %SRR0:  ff8494a0   %SRR1:  0000b030
)
PS: The PRAM battery is dead

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:05 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 10
You can get cheap PRAM batteries in eBay. Here is a link to one of them
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-PRAM-Saft- ... XQ97RRGxt9

Only for 9 dollars

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Unix, Linux, and Macintosh
Edit. I mis-read your post.
Version 1.2 only works on some G4 Macs. According to the system requirements, it doesn't look like the iMac G4 is supported. It will run on Power Mac G4s. Version 1.0 only runs on a few Power Mac G3 models.

http://www.rhapsodyos.org/misc/docs_and ... q_1_2.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 1111
lardon wrote:
Version 1.2 only works on some G4 Macs. According to the system requirements, it doesn't look like the iMac G4 is supported. It will run on Power Mac G4s. Version 1.0 only runs on a few Power Mac G3 models.

But, according to Apple, the eMac (first model) is compatible
https://support.apple.com/kb/TA28250?locale=en_US
:( :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Interesting. Did not knew the eMac was supported. Is your eMac a later model with ATI graphics? Mac OS X Server is pretty strict with compatibility.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:00 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 1111
lardon wrote:
Interesting. Did not knew the eMac was supported. Is your eMac a later model with ATI graphics? Mac OS X Server is pretty strict with compatibility.

Nope
I don't have an eMac, but the iMac I have is basically the same as the first eMac, just that it is PowerMac4,2 instead of 4,4
And I don't know why it doesn't work :C

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Well, if the iMac G4 isn't supported, then it won't work. There is a way to run it in QEMU, though. The latest PPC build of QEMU can run Mac OS X Server 1.0, and I've seen people successfully run it. However, installing it is a bit complicated and I've only seen the Windows version of QEMU work. I'm not sure if there is a native PowerPC version. And I myself have not touched QEMU in months.

Honestly, even if you got it to run in the iMac G4, I'd imagine poor driver support. To me, it's kind of like trying to install Snow Leopard on a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:18 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 1111
And someone knows how to get MOSX Server running on the eMac?
'Cause I don't think internet is going to help a lot :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:20 am 

Could you explain what you mean by "missing folder"? Is the install CD recognized by macos properly?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:55 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 1111
MrBurgerKing wrote:
Could you explain what you mean by "missing folder"? Is the install CD recognized by macos properly?

I mean, by the OSes yes, but for OF, no
Both the OS9 and MOSX aren't recognized by the Startup manager, and when I tried to boot BootX directly from OF, I get the error from the original post
Jose64141 wrote:
DEFAULY CATCH!, code=70 at %SRR0: ff8494a0 %SRR1: 0000b030

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:05 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 1111
Yep
I've done some research, and the iMac G4 has a different architecture that the eMac and any compatible MOSX Mac :cry:
https://github.com/elliotnunn/toolboxtoolbox/wiki/Custom-IC-Chips-Used-in-G3%27s-and-G4%27s
https://web.archive.org/web/20030409174739/http://developer.apple.com:80/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/iMac/imac.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20030409064056/http://developer.apple.com:80/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/eMac/eMac.pdf
So now, for me, it's very unlikely that the system will boot :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:08 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 1111
Jose64141 wrote:

At least I discovered that in the eMac the BootROM is connected through the PCI bus and in the iMac through CardBus :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:22 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.4.11
If you get the missing folder icon I highly suspect that there is a problem with the CD. If you see the files from another OS, say, Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X, then the files are on the disc alright, but this doesn't mean that the boot functionality is also there.

How did you burn the CD-R? Or is it original media?

As a sidenote: a broken or missing PRAM battery can cause a multitude of unexpected behaviour and problems. You should replace it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
OS X 1.x is such a half hearted port of OPENSTEP to the PowerPC, it's crazy how poor it is.

The driver kit is completely different from the x86 at this point. It's like they were doing a maximal rewrite.

At any rate I almost think they deliberately didn't deliver on solid PowerPC platform support as they didn't want that many people running it. The lack of apps and no direction really sucked then. I think it was more so to fulfill some obligation to have network booting iMacs, the one thing OS X 1.x did well.

By comparison, OS X 10 public beta and release were so incredibly polished.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Jose64141 wrote:
lardon wrote:

But, according to Apple, the eMac (first model) is compatible
https://support.apple.com/kb/TA28250?locale=en_US
:( :cry:

I'm surprised that it doesn't at least try to boot. But according to that page,
"Mac OS X Server 1.x is not compatible with any computer released in or after January, 2001. " the iMac g4 was released in Jan 2002.

I really wish there was a sort of compatibility mode sort of like we have with Windows, where a machine will boot mostly with a basic IDE driver and 16 color VGA if its missing drivers. But Apple has always been a pain hardware compatibility wise, not wanting old software to run on new machines.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X Server 1.0 on iMac G4        Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:48 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.4.11
Jose64141 wrote:
I tried installing from Mac OS 9.2.2, and nothing (Missing folder)
Tried to boot from OF, nothing (
Code:
DEFAULY CATCH!, code=70 at   %SRR0:  ff8494a0   %SRR1:  0000b030
)

I think I now get it when you say you get the "missing folder", assuming this is what you meant anyway.

So, I recently tried all four Mac OS X Developer Previews and the two Public Betas on my iBook G3 from 1999 (Clamshell). I was surprised to see that DP2 through DP4 and the two Public Betas worked, but the first Developer Preview does not. DP1 boots with the happy mac logo, which makes me think that the Open Firmware has already started something from the CD. But after a short while I get a broken folder icon.

So, my assumption is, you also get this broken folder icon?

Because this broken folder, it is a folder vertically cut into two halfs, seems to be part of a failed boot from the operating system side. The reason I believe this is that the normal missing folder icon that you get from the Open Firmware is a folder with a question mark in it, indication that we are still on the firmware side of things and no handover to start an operating system has been initiated yet.

My idea is that, since I get the broken folder, the operating system has started but failed to boot. It is simply either a) broken for some odd reason or b) simply not compatible with this hardware. I assume that b) is the right answer.

I also got the default catch when I tried to boot from the CD out of Open Firmware, using this simple command:
Code:
boot cd:9,\\:tbxi

This starts the blessed file on partition #9 of the CD-R, which is the bootloader of the operating system to be started. I found that it's partition 9 because I looked at the CD-R from within Mac OS X, using diskutil (or was it disktool? I'm not at the Mac right now, so I could be wrong).

Top  Profile