OS/2 2.0 Pre-Release Inquiry

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Faust

OS/2 2.0 Pre-Release Inquiry

Post by Faust »

Alright, let's just say that "Someone" has a complete physical copy of OS/2 S.E. 2.0 Pre-Release Level 6H.177 with documentation as well. As far as I can tell the disks do in fact still work and hold data on them still.

If this would be something that would be of interest to the archive, I can attempt to back up the disks and possibly scan the physical documentation as well. I am not sure if this is something already obtained on said archive or not, if so and it's not an interest, I am sorry for making a thread on the matter. :$

As for pictures, I can add them upon request, since this would be my third post I should be able to upload them via the archive's image loader after this post. Hope this is of interest to the community!

Overdoze

Re: OS/2 2.0 Pre-Release Inquiry

Post by Overdoze »

This would be very much appreciated, and if you prepare the files properly, you'd certainly get FTP access for it. Just make sure you read the guidelines carefully so you don't have to fix things and reupload later.

If you have any questions, ask away.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Faust

Post by Faust »

Overdoze wrote:This would be very much appreciated, and if you prepare the files properly, you'd certainly get FTP access for it. Just make sure you read the guidelines carefully so you don't have to fix things and reupload later.

I suppose one thing I would like to know is how to make images from the floppies using WinImage since that is one of the preferred image creators for this kind of thing. I am sure its probably something simple and I am overlooking, I just do not want to risk erasing the files from the floppy by mistake.

SoftPCMuseum

Post by SoftPCMuseum »

Faust wrote:
Overdoze wrote:This would be very much appreciated, and if you prepare the files properly, you'd certainly get FTP access for it. Just make sure you read the guidelines carefully so you don't have to fix things and reupload later.

I suppose one thing I would like to know is how to make images from the floppies using WinImage since that is one of the preferred image creators for this kind of thing. I am sure its probably something simple and I am overlooking, I just do not want to risk erasing the files from the floppy by mistake.
Be absolutely certain to write-protect the floppy disks before creating the disk images using WinImage, in order to prevent the original disks being modified by the utility itself.
Latest release of Virtual Computer emulator available here:
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 72&t=39197

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

WinImage does not modify floppies. I dumped my floppy of Iomega DOS Tools 3.3 Italian with Winimage three times, without write-protection, and not once did Winimage modify anything on it.

The OS, however, might modify the floppy (for example, Windows 10 likes creating the System Volume Information folder and Windows 9x adds the IHC header) so I'd definitely recommend write-protecting the floppies.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Alright, all 14 Disks were imaged tonight as well as all 5 of the Printer disks! Each one I made sure was write-protected and I was sure to use the uncompressed .IMA file since I would imagine it would be far preferred over the compressed format. I will try to make scans of the disks and the documentation starting tomorrow, there is a lot of reading material here so I am sure it will take me some time.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Sounds good, keep us updated.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Be sure to read our scanning guide etc so you don't have to redo things again. Proper scans would be great to have of this since it's a vital part of preserving this properly.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP