What makes a Windows 95 'Pan-European'?

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
rthdribl

What makes a Windows 95 'Pan-European'?

Post by rthdribl »

Hi,

I am trying to pinpoint the actual difference between OSR 2.x and the Pan-European Edition of Windows 95. The general information is that Paneuro version is Windows 95 without LANG.EXE: a set of files that deliver support for Eastern Europe languages. But I added the LANG.EXE bits to Windows 95 C. It asked me to enable support for Polish and added a Polish keyboard layout. The "PL" indicator showed up in tray and indeed the system started responding to Polish combinations, like 'Alt Gr + C' that gives 'Ć'. But the actual letters showed up incorrectly! Like with the wrong encoding.

I tried to find binary differences between OSR 2.5 and Paneuro. About 50% of files differ, but most of them - only slightly. GDI and KRNL386 differ significantly, but I updated both systems using the same patches and they now contain the same versions. Still Paneuro types OK, and 2.5 fails to render the letters.

Windows 95 Euro Symbol Updated had two GDIs: one for Paneuro, one for OSR2. I edited the INF and renamed the file to force the Paneuro GDI and fonts onto OSR 2.5. The files are the same, yet I still can't type the correct letters.

I modified the CHCP, NLS, SYSTEM.INI and the registry to set the same codepages (1250) on both systems. Still nothing.

Word 2000 UI in Tahoma renders correctly! The Clippy speech bubbles and the actual editor paper piece however do not.

What is the actual difference? How to find it? Does anyone know at least what should I be looking for?
MINI NT EXECUTIVE Version 1.0
rthdribl

SistemaRayoXP

Re: What makes a Windows 95 'Pan-European'?

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Did you checked the system fonts?

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:Did you checked the system fonts?
rthdribl wrote:I edited the INF and renamed the file to force the Paneuro GDI and fonts onto OSR 2.5. The files are the same, yet I still can't type the correct letters.
Read, please.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- rthdribl: It's the bitmap fonts. The Pan-European edition comes with the bitmap fonts (Courier, Fixedsys, MS Sans Serif, MS Serif, System, Terminal) and TrueType fonts (Arial, Courier New, Times New Roman) for all the supported codepages, the non-Pan-European does not (except for the TrueType fonts which can be installed after installation from Add/Remove Programs). For Polish, you need the .FON files that have 1250 in them from the Pan-European edition and rename them to the correct names.
I tried to find binary differences between OSR 2.5 and Paneuro. About 50% of files differ, but most of them - only slightly. GDI and KRNL386 differ significantly, but I updated both systems using the same patches and they now contain the same versions. Still Paneuro types OK, and 2.5 fails to render the letters.
Of course they differ, you were comparing files from OSR 2.5 with those from the 95 RTM. A lot had been updated between the two.

I recommend you get this from the FTP: Microsoft Windows 95B (4.00.1111) (OSR2) [Pan-European] (CD) [OEM] , and install it, then install the USB support and IE 4 from OSR 2.5 on top of it.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

rthdribl

Post by rthdribl »

Thanks, Battler!

I will check it right away. I used the same Pan-Euro you're mentioning (I have the original CD-ROM medium). It's not based on RTM, but on OSR2 (1111). So I assumed there'd be less differences.
MINI NT EXECUTIVE Version 1.0
rthdribl

DonaltDuck

Post by DonaltDuck »

NOTE:
Windows 95 retail was only available in upgrade form CCP,
full installs were only avaiable via OEM channel.
NOTE2:
MSDN shippment cd's was the retail (Upgrade) version ccp of Windows 95.

i have so far from the Pan European Editions

Code: Select all

;win95 RTM
85E03D5A9FB3061BA390A2F56B736CAF1E32A545 *pu_win95_CCP-Upgrade_cd_type02_19950820_WCD.iso
536F4C7F3BE12152891E0CB708722647BFB68D3F *pu_win95_OEM-FullSetup_cd_type09_19951026.iso

;win95b (osr2.0 and osr2.1)
0B343E0219A9CFE980CDB6F81693506E868963CE *pu_win95b_osr2.0_OEM-FullSetup_cd_type09_19961206.iso
39DCF42FC54F3A670DC08B63A924EDED086B5AC7 *pu_win95b_osr2.1_OEM-FullSetup_cd_type09_19970720.iso

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- DonaltDuck: Could you upload these please?
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

DonaltDuck

Post by DonaltDuck »

Battler wrote:- DonaltDuck: Could you upload these please?
of course
- but i am new here on this forum
- i have no FTP access
- i have read a lot of how to get FTP access
- there are manny restrictions for new member

i have problems with the file naming for the old stuff (coz M$ chaotic versions number for old stuff)
your guide https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 39&t=32742
"This is a guide on how to label a prepared and archived release for upload to the FTP."

If you can help / guide me to get the FTP access - even if my file names do not comply with the BA guidelines - I would be very grateful

BTW:
i have full MSDN access,
i have a lot of old original M$ stuff (iso)
i hate all homebrew / selfmade iso
i hate overdumped / zero byte padded iso

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

If your ISOs still retail original filenames then please put them in folders with full product names for easier identification. You don't need to upload any MSDN files since I have the full archive myself, but any other MS original ISOs would be of interest.

Just pack up your folders and upload to the upload account. If there's any additional info you need to add then add a readme along with the ISOs.

I will of course have to review your uploads, normally we wouldn't accept ISOs, but if you can provide some kind of source info on them that would be great.

Thanks
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP