Windows 95 OSR 2.5 Error Message.

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
TheSpiritingPoet
Donator

Windows 95 OSR 2.5 Error Message.

Post by TheSpiritingPoet »

While detecting plug and play devices, an error pops up saying 'Please insert the disk labelled 'Windows 95 Disk4', and then click OK'.
To my knowledge, Windows 95 OSR 2.5 didn't come out on floppies so why is this message popping up? I have looked on the FTP as well as WinWorld but nothing.
I have tried Windows 95a's disks but no luck.
Offtopic Comment
Yes, I have wasted 2-5 hours installing Windows 95 from floppy disks.
Here is the image.

What is going on?
TheSpiritingPoet,
Probably about time I grew up and was active around here.

(Image was to go here, I don't have it... 20/1/23 - still don't have it)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Windows 95 OSR 2.5 Error Message.

Post by AlphaBeta »

Copy the \WIN95 directory from the CD to the VM's hard disk in DOS, then reboot to Windows and point the installer to the copied directory.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

TheSpiritingPoet
Donator

Post by TheSpiritingPoet »

AlphaBeta wrote:Copy the \WIN95 directory from the CD to the VM's hard disk in DOS, then reboot to Windows and point the installer to the copied directory.
Thank you. That worked.
Although, my question was that why this would pop up?
Was Microsoft too lazy to change the code from the floppy version?
TheSpiritingPoet,
Probably about time I grew up and was active around here.

(Image was to go here, I don't have it... 20/1/23 - still don't have it)

BF10

Post by BF10 »

I think it is a bug at that point where setup cannot read the CD-ROM drive at all. Microsoft probably forgot to change the message. No, there was no floppy version of the OSRs or 98SE.

BetaWiki contributor.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

I'd say it's more of a design flaw. It works fine before setup asks you to reboot because the CD driver is loaded by the bootdisk. It seems that after the computer restarts, Windows starts from the hard disk and wants to install device drivers, but it needs to get these drivers from the CD, for which it doesn't have the driver installed and loaded yet. So you can get around this by copying the CD contents to the hard disk or using a floppy release. Either way, I'm not sure how this issue got past testing and persisted for so long...

As for the error message itself, it's due to LAYOUT.INF in PRECOPY2.CAB. Apparently they used this file from a floppy release of OSR2/2.1 and didn't actually update it for the CD-only release of OSR2.5, because it works with CD releases anyway. Lazy much?
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

ingyu0413

Post by ingyu0413 »

I think Windows 95 floppy version using DMF format.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

For Windows 95 RTM, use this boot disk: http://citadel.ringoflightning.net/BOOT95.IMG - it's a correct period boot disk and the CD-ROM problem does not occur with it.
Still looking for one for 95 OSR 2.x.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

TheSpiritingPoet wrote:Thank you. That worked.
In my experience with installing Windows 95 OSR2, this happens when the setup tries to install drivers for hardware that's detected on the second setup stage (but fails to retrieve the files from the CD, because the CD driver hasn't loaded yet), it usually doesn't skip out on any of the operating system's components, if anything, I skip the copying of these files and reinstall the missing drivers via Device Manager after completion of the setup.

In the case of my Celeron-433 build, the driver it tries to install is the driver for my Sound Blaster AWE64's joystick/MIDI port.

BF10

Post by BF10 »

MSUser2013 wrote:
TheSpiritingPoet wrote:Thank you. That worked.
In my experience with installing Windows 95 OSR2, this happens when the setup tries to install drivers for hardware that's detected on the second setup stage (but fails to retrieve the files from the CD, because the CD driver hasn't loaded yet), it usually doesn't skip out on any of the operating system's components, if anything, I skip the copying of these files and reinstall the missing drivers via Device Manager after completion of the setup.

In the case of my Celeron-433 build, the driver it tries to install is the driver for my Sound Blaster AWE64's joystick/MIDI port.
Yep, when this error occurs it will likely affect network drivers too as well. It doesn't skip anything vital but it is annoying if your drivers aren't working.

BetaWiki contributor.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

As I said, this is the result of people using inappropriate boot disks, usually the ones from allbootdisk.com . Back in the day, you'd use the boot disk that came with your PC and you wouldn't encounter this problems.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

Just install the MSCDEX driver for DOS
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

Battler wrote:As I said, this is the result of people using inappropriate boot disks, usually the ones from allbootdisk.com . Back in the day, you'd use the boot disk that came with your PC and you wouldn't encounter this problems.
Yes, there were floppy based and CD ROM based boot disks for Windows 95. I've use the floppy boot (http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95A.EXE) and CD boot (http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95B.EXE).

Also, I always found it easier on CD systems to just copy all the \win95 contents to c:\w95\flat. I would then execute c:\w95\flat\setup.exe. It was nice because you wouldn't have to constantly put in and take out the CD ROM.
ThinkPad 600E, T23, T41, T61p. ASUS X555 A12 Quad Core 16GB RAM Win10/Win7
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- sdfox7: It's about that .INF file that period CD-ROM-based boot disks have but the allbootdisk.com disks (that you linked to mirrors of) don't. That causes Windows 95 to not copy over and configure the DOS CD-ROM driver, which means there's going to be no CD-ROM after the reboot until the 32-bit driver is installed.