[Tutorial] Enable Software PowerOff in Windows NT 4.0

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
SistemaRayoXP

[Tutorial] Enable Software PowerOff in Windows NT 4.0

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

This tutorial is in base to another tutorial page, so if you'd like to read it, here is the link. Sooo, Let's begin!

1.- You need the SP6 installer (And installed into your system).
2.- You need to know if you machine supports this,
Note: This is for 199x machines, since the new machines are fully compatible with Software PowerOff (That includes VMs)
3.- You need to mess up a little bit with regedt32.exe, so be careful and follow instructions as meant or you could harm your system!

First, make a folder where you want with any name, but remember the path of the folder, because here you'll extract the Service Pack: Open Command Prompt (CMD) and write:

Code: Select all

C:\PathToTheServicePack\sp6i386.exe /X 
Where C, is your system drive (If you installed NT in D, then put D!), PathToTheServicePack is the path where your service pack is located (If the path is "Games\CuteCats\Videos\Sales\XXX\WeirdVirus" then stop watching that and put that route!), sp6i386.exe is the name of the service pack (If you called SP6 TroyanVirus.exe, then write that!). Then go to the folder you made and choose
Example:
Note: I am not responsible of the damage that you can make to your system if you confuse the SP6 with a virus or viceversa

Once the SP6 has finished extracting, go to the folder you made (No, C:\WINNT isn't valid), and rename the file hal.dll.softex to hal2.dll and copy that to (SystemDrive):\WINNT\System32
Third step is, to edit (SystemDrive):\boot.ini

Right Click on boot.ini, properties, and unmark Read-Only
Add /hal=hal2.dll next to the option you use when booting. Example:
Fourth step, open Run Dialog and write regedt32.exe. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]Search the key PowerOffAfterShutdown and set its value to 1
And reboot. The Software PowerOff won't work until the next system boot (after rebooting)

If your machine reboots every time instead of poweroff when choosing shutdown, that means you jumped one step, or that your machine isn't compatible with this,sorry :(

Thank you for reading and have a nice day! :) Credit goes to 3155ffGd for showing me this awesome tutorial. The original post is in his name

May Caboose be with you.

Battler
Donator

Re: [Tutorial] Enable Software PowerOff in Windows NT 4.0

Post by Battler »

While the tutorial is nice, I have to remind you that polls are frowned upon on this forum.

---> Poll removed.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

TuneableSumo876

Post by TuneableSumo876 »

Battler wrote:While the tutorial is nice, I have to remind you that polls are frowned upon on this forum.

---> Poll removed.
If you don’t mind me asking, why exactly are polls frowned upon? Or was this poll useless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Because 99% of the time polls are useless and completely unnecessary.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks