NT 5.0 1902 stuck before installation.

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
MasonSparkle

NT 5.0 1902 stuck before installation.

Post by MasonSparkle »

I installed NT 5.0 build 1902 into VirtualBox, but it’s stuck before installation begins.
It gets stuck in the blue pre-installation screen before you use the keyboard at all. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thank you.
Mason Sparkle

Full-on Windows nerd who loves to explore classic OSes, Betas & cancelled projects.
I'm also addicted to BBQ Hula Hoops & Lemon Fanta.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: NT 5.0 1902 stuck before installation.

Post by AlphaBeta »

You've provided little information about your problem, would you mind at least uploading a screenshot and telling us the config of your VM?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

kyle62

Post by kyle62 »

Please tell us, is it stuck at loading a specific file? Or, "Setup is Starting Windows"? This may help us with your problem. Also, you may have to start setup via MS-DOS. If you want instructions for that, let me know.

Win7

Post by Win7 »

It's hard to get it past that screen on VirtualBox. Unless you upgrade from Windows NT 4.0, this is it.

By the way, you can get the VirtualBox Guest Additions up and running on that build, but you'll have to set them up on Windows NT 4.0 first. I'll try my best to deliver you a working VM, but it'll take me a very long time as I'm extremely busy with school.

Win7
Offtopic Comment
I also had Office 2000 Beta 2, Visual Studio 6.0 and Adobe Acrobat working on build 1902. My VM had a wallpaper of Bud from Space Goofs... Good ol' times. :P

Windows Thunderstruck

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

For that build, use a 95 or 98FE boot floppy, insert the ISO into the VM and then navigate to the I386 folder using the cd command.
Then type in: Winnt/ OX and it will ask you to create three floppies.
Make sure you have three blank floppy images beforr peforming this step.

MasonSparkle

Post by MasonSparkle »

I understand where I've been going wrong then.
First things first, I installed the VM as I would with any other by inserting the .ISO into the virtual DVD drive. The only things I did was I put the OS at "Other (32-bit)" & increased the disk size & memory to double recommended. (So I have had no idea that I needed to do a step-up / upgrade from NT 4.0)
As for the screen snapshot, I must feel dumb as I don't know how to save snapshots to be able to upload them as images.
Mason Sparkle

Full-on Windows nerd who loves to explore classic OSes, Betas & cancelled projects.

Dr.pepper

Post by Dr.pepper »

I think this is some sort of Timebomb. Some Nt 5.0 server builds do this. Make sure you change the BIOS date.
I hate anime and I hate weebs

MasonSparkle

Post by MasonSparkle »

I don't think that this is a server build, however I will see if changing the BIOS date fixes the freezing.
Offtopic Comment
I had a similar BIOS problem with Whistler 2296, however I chose the day I installed it rather than 2000/01. It came up as "Expires in May 2018"!
Mason Sparkle

BF10

Post by BF10 »

MasonSparkle wrote:I don't think that this is a server build, however I will see if changing the BIOS date fixes the freezing.
Offtopic Comment
I had a similar BIOS problem with Whistler 2296, however I chose the day I installed it rather than 2000/01. It came up as "Expires in May 2018"!
Build 1902 is a Workstation build and it only works if you boot from floppy and use the setup floppys. Otherwise if you boot from CD it will hang at setup.

Also some builds may install and the timebomb will be based on the day after install, not days after compile.

BetaWiki contributor.