Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5270 aero/graphics problem

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
The_Build_Tester

Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5270 aero/graphics problem

Post by The_Build_Tester »

I tried tree builds of Windows Vista Beta 2 on a Compaq Presario F577CL Notebook that has an Nvidia GeForce Go 6100 it supports Windows XP and came with Windows Vista Home Premium and aero works on Windows Vista and I even tried Windows 7 and they work with Vista drivers so I install Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5840 and they worked with Vista RTM drivers so I decided to install a few other builds but with no luck which are, 5231, 5259, and 5270. I am to get Nvidia drivers to work only by installing the oldest Nvidia GeForce Go 6100 Windows XP driver and when I try to run index experience, it will run for the first three seconds and crashes with, "nv4_mini.sys," with, "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area." Running aero does the same thing and yes I changing the registry and went into safe mode to remove the changes to boot back into the OS. I tried installing a different Nvidia driver for Windows XP since Windows Vista RTM drivers don't work and the result is this every single time I launch the setup it will want to extract the files and start the setup and when I let it do that it will come up with this error when launching the setup after extracting:

Before you ask me did you check to see that I install the Nvidia driver correctly and is it showing up in Device Manager, let me tell you that I did check and in fact, I reinstalled the driver but no luck found. I tried going to the location where the driver is located and went through a mess of going into folder trying to start the setup manually but the same error shows up. I went to Device Manager and tried to update the driver and told it to go to the directory but no luck found in that and it found no drivers. I decided to install 7-Zip and extract the setup files manually and launch the setup but the same error showed up. Trying to tell Device Manager to search for the driver didn't work and didn't find any drivers to install and yes I did tell it to look through sub folders. Before you tell me, "It's a beta," then note that I am already aware of that. Is there a way to get around this?

BetaVista

Re: Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5270 aero/graphics problem

Post by BetaVista »

You can't do that on 5270 because WDDM wasn't implemented. WDDM is implemented on late Beta 2 builds and later.

I tried that on VMware few years ago and i had on the Device Manager the same error "A device to the system is not functioning. Good luck getting it working on early Beta 2 builds. *hehe*

BetaVista

Re: Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5270 aero/graphics problem

Post by BetaVista »

I know that but on real hardware and you don't have XPMM drivers you can't really activate Aero