Windows Store rebranded as "Microsoft Store"

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
AlexN
Donator

Windows Store rebranded as "Microsoft Store"

Post by AlexN »

Opened up my laptop this morning to a different tile for the app store. I'm in the slow ring, running build 16299.19. Not sure if this is old news for the Fast Ring, still found it interesting!

Upon opening the app, there doesn't seem to be many, if any, UI changes:
...and I promise on my bones - I built this home, I built it up for you.
SoundCloud /// Twitter /// YouTube

Formerly ratsrock2323

LordKappa

Re: Windows Store rebranded as "Microsoft Store"

Post by LordKappa »

Wait; It wasn't always called the Microsoft Store? :^)

I feel like the cards on store shelves have said "Microsoft Store" for years.

AlexN
Donator

Post by AlexN »

LordKappa wrote:Wait; It wasn't always called the Microsoft Store? :^)

I feel like the cards on store shelves have said "Microsoft Store" for years.
On my computer I always remembered it as going simply by "Store". I'm in the United States though, maybe it changes by region/translation?
...and I promise on my bones - I built this home, I built it up for you.
SoundCloud /// Twitter /// YouTube

Formerly ratsrock2323

rthdribl

Post by rthdribl »

This rebranding has obviously been done with Legendary Windows 10 Quality (TM) that shows that nobody in MS is aware that the world outside USA exists.

Previously, the name was localizable. Store is "Sklep" in my language. So if somenody not aware that Windows now has an app store (MILLIONS of people, still) found it, they immediately knew what it means. Now, not only is it called "Microsoft Store" uncoditionally, but is not searchable. When I look for "Sklep" I get nothing.

So the Store is not discoverable for non-tech people that don't speak English. Of course, UWP has a boatload of internationalization tools, but apparently even Microsoft doesn't care.

Chapeau. It's been quite some time since I last saw something so simple broken so hard.
MINI NT EXECUTIVE Version 1.0
rthdribl

TuneableSumo876

Post by TuneableSumo876 »

This change is apparent on the Creators Update as well. So it's not just Insider builds.

Wyrmmidon

Post by Wyrmmidon »

But for what purpose? The Windows store is the >>Windows<< store. It's not like you can use it if you have a Mac or something. Literally zero reason to change it.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Wyrmmidon wrote:But for what purpose? The Windows store is the >>Windows<< store. It's not like you can use it if you have a Mac or something. Literally zero reason to change it.
They are merging the Windows Store (apps) and Microsoft Store (devices) into one. And you actually can buy Office for Mac from there. "Windows Store" would be a weird name for a store that also serves Surfaces and Mac apps.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

TheDosProgrammer

Post by TheDosProgrammer »

The same story as of Windows Explorer... Sometimes it is "raziskovalec sistema windows" but 10 minutes later it become "windows explorer." Well, next "Microsoft Okna (windows)" will probably include "automatic system language changing technology (r) (c) (TM)" which will translate "bing" into your system language and then continuously press Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y to change language every time when user will leave computer idle for at least 5 minutes xD.

lempamo

Post by lempamo »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Wyrmmidon wrote:But for what purpose? The Windows store is the >>Windows<< store. It's not like you can use it if you have a Mac or something. Literally zero reason to change it.
They are merging the Windows Store (apps) and Microsoft Store (devices) into one. And you actually can buy Office for Mac from there. "Windows Store" would be a weird name for a store that also serves Surfaces and Mac apps.
But Surfaces run Windows too, don't they?
LEMPAMO

Owner of Lemony Studios: http://discord.gg/FZgQMDe

BaRRaKudaRain42

Post by BaRRaKudaRain42 »

lempamo wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:
But Surfaces run Windows too, don't they?
Yeah, they run Windows too, because they are made by Microsoft.
Life is suxxesful!

640kb

Post by 640kb »

There are some serious quality control issues on the Windows Store, but hopefully they can be sorted out soon. There are a lot of spammy and clickbait apps there.