Windows Codename Whistler Build 2419 Startup Sound

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
SupernovaNick

Windows Codename Whistler Build 2419 Startup Sound

Post by SupernovaNick »

I am trying to install Windows Codename Whistler Build 2419 in Virtual PC 2007. The installation goes perfectly successful, but now every time I boot to the OS, the startup sound does not play. The sound driver is installed, sounds are turned on, and all the other sounds, including the shutdown sound, work correctly.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Re: Windows Codename Whistler Build 2419 Startup Sound

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

Maybe set the startup sound in Start>Settings>Control Panel>Multimedia and Sound
Or use 86-Box.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

The_Build_Tester

Post by The_Build_Tester »

This is most likely to be a bug in Windows Whistler 2419 and also did you make sure that the sound driver you used is made for Windows 2000? Windows XP drivers don't really work on betas (or not very well.) You could try a third party program that could set the virtual machine to play a sound when something happens like a critical error.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

I tried taking ctlsb16.sys from driver.cab in a Windows 2000 RTM CD and putting it into C:\windows\system32\drivers but it didn't work.

Also Build 2428 seems to do the same thing. For both builds, the startup sound plays the first 2 or 3 times I boot the OS after installing it but it does not play most of the time from that point on.
Occasionally it does play, usually after a reboot, but most of the time, it does not play. Remember, every other sound works as they should, including the shutdown sound, and the startup sound is set in control panel.