Windows 95 install issue

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Twiggy

Windows 95 install issue

Post by Twiggy »

I have downloaded Windows 95 OEM in english off of the archives.

I then burnt it to a disc and attempted installation.

However, when I run setup it tells me I need to make a bootable dos partition, so I did that but I still get the same message when I run setup again.

I do have MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 on a 1.2GB parition, but I have an equal 1.2GB on the hard disk which are unused, and I would like to use that unallcoated 1.2GB for Windows 95 to perform a dual-boot, because I think it'd be appropriate for the system considering it was made a few months before the release of 95, but since it has a Pentium 75mhz and 24mb of RAM, is more than capable of running Windows 95 as well.

What course of action should I take, maybe install MS-DOS 6.22 on the unallocated space as well, and then run the Windows 95 setup from there?
"You go love your enemies, don't go loving mine. My enemies are the theocratic fascists, I don't love them, I want to destroy them!" - Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011)

TheCollector1988
Donator

Re: Windows 95 install issue

Post by TheCollector1988 »

You should only need a DOS boot disk to start a Windows 95 if the HDD is already partitioned and formatted with DOS.

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy »

I don't know.

I deleted all but the partition I have 6.22 and Windows 3.1 on.

Then when I go to make a primary boot partition (because that's what the setup tells me to do) FDISK tells me I cannot.
"You go love your enemies, don't go loving mine. My enemies are the theocratic fascists, I don't love them, I want to destroy them!" - Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011)

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy »

I deleted my entire hard drive, and then made a brand new primary DOS partition, but I am still getting the same message.

caff

Post by caff »

A bad install disk perhaps? Does the drive need drivers to install? Tried copying all the disk's files on HDD, and then launching the install that way?