Windows 3.1 APM problem?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
MichaelWeaser

Windows 3.1 APM problem?

Post by MichaelWeaser »

I am having a APM issue with wfw 3.11 , when I install it and enable "ms-dos with APM" in the installation when it gets to the part where you type in product key and your name that is were it freezes. Do I need a different APM driver? the laptop has a cyrix mediagxm processor and I think it implements APM differently than Intel,. Or the laptop needs a Bios upgrade,. Which I know I won't find. What I know is the APM driver with the installer was programmed by Intel. Can anyone help me with the issue, and possibly find me a APM driver, since I think APM is implemented in a different way. or tell me if I need a Bios upgrade.

TuneableSumo876

Re: Windows 3.1 APM problem?

Post by TuneableSumo876 »

Disable APM and try again...

Cal

Post by Cal »

I'd be surprised you get APM working in that configuration.

dfawcus

Post by dfawcus »

MichaelWeaser wrote:I am having a APM issue with wfw 3.11
Are you sure it is wfw 3.11, not win 3.11 (or win 3.1 as the title mentions).

There is a known bug in POWER.DRV for win 3.1/3.11 when run in standard mode but not in enhanced mode; whereas as I recall wfw 3.11 only ran in enhanced mode.

See here.

MichaelWeaser

Post by MichaelWeaser »

dfawcus wrote:
MichaelWeaser wrote:I am having a APM issue with wfw 3.11
Are you sure it is wfw 3.11, not win 3.11 (or win 3.1 as the title mentions).

There is a known bug in POWER.DRV for win 3.1/3.11 when run in standard mode but not in enhanced mode; whereas as I recall wfw 3.11 only ran in enhanced mode.

See here.
Yes its windows for workgroups 3.11, I know what I installed.

MichaelWeaser

Post by MichaelWeaser »

TuneableSumo876 wrote:Disable APM and try again...
Yes If I don't select to enable APM it installs fine, I want to find away to enable APM when the computer is APM compatible.

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy »

What is APM?
"You go love your enemies, don't go loving mine. My enemies are the theocratic fascists, I don't love them, I want to destroy them!" - Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011)

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Advanced Power Management iirc.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

TheCollector1988 wrote:Advanced Power Management iirc.
Correct. It's the predecessor of ACPI.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

dfawcus

Post by dfawcus »

MichaelWeaser wrote:Yes its windows for workgroups 3.11, I know what I installed.
I wasn't suggesting you didn't.

I was simply asking you to clarify given the ambiguity which resulted from mentioning windows 3.1 in the subject but wfw 3.11 in the message.

MichaelWeaser

Post by MichaelWeaser »

Cyrix mediagxm processors are compatible with with any version of windows 3.1 , Because other computers that had the same processor, I have read in manuals for the computers that it says will run DOS, windows 3.1 , windows 95 , windows 98. I am wondering if Cyrix requires custom APM drivers. I believe that maybe Cyrix APM is implemented in a different way than the original Intel standard. Also It is possible that the laptop needs a BIOS upgrade, but what I know is a BIOS upgrade was never made available for the computer.