[OFFER] The 11th Hour Beta Game Engine (DOS)

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
eraser

[OFFER] The 11th Hour Beta Game Engine (DOS)

Post by eraser »

I figure that this is very rare nowadays.

When I was a kid in 1996 I saved up my allowance money and bought The 11th Hour. Even though my 486DX4-100 met the minimum requirements for the game it seriously struggled. I called Virgin tech support and they told me that I wasn't the only one having trouble and sent me a floppy disk with a beta version of the game engine (DOS) that fixed the performance problems. I don't know exactly what changes have been made in this version of the engine but the letter it came with says it "fixes several issues." When installed it adds a menu option to change the video playback speed from 30fps to 15fps. It also removes the option to change the bit depth of the gameplay (it forces 16-bit).

I made an image of the floppy disk (WinImage .IMG file) and I also scanned the letter Virgin send with the disk (PDF).

Damian9303
Permanently Banned

Re: [OFFER] The 11th Hour Beta Game Engine (DOS)

Post by Damian9303 »

I'd like this as well

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Hm, interesting. If you got the original floppy please scan the floppy as well.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

This patch was available on their FTP site. It allowed for interlaced video in the Vesa VBE interface, which increased performance. The changing of the bit depth had no impact on performance, which is why it was removed (try it in the release binary)

https://web.archive.org/web/19961208072 ... 0/beta.htm