downgrading to windows 98

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
mine_

downgrading to windows 98

Post by mine_ »

Hi,

i have a windows vista laptop that i downgraded to xp. what should my next step be for going to 98?

LangsamSpieler

Re: downgrading to windows 98

Post by LangsamSpieler »

First Windows ME, then 99, then Windows 98, then 95, then Windows 95 Build 224, then Build 189 from Windows 95, then Chicago 81, then Windows 3.11, then Windows 2.0x and at last Windows 1.0x and the big Final: MS-DOS 1.0 and at last step format c:
416175:38 BetaArchive Registration
416176:06 First BetaArchive Post
4251811:32 Archive Access Granted

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

LangsamSpieler wrote:First Windows ME, then 99, then Windows 98, then 95, then Windows 95 Build 224, then Build 189 from Windows 95, then Chicago 81, then Windows 3.11, then Windows 2.0x and at last Windows 1.0x and the big Final: MS-DOS 1.0 and at last step format c:
Mother of god.

Your next step is to not bother, and stick to virtual machines, supported hardware, or emulators. A Vista laptop (thanks for providing such detailed specs...) is more than likely too new to easily run 98. Of course, if you can find drivers for at least some of the hardware, then I guess you can try. However, 2000 would probably have a better chance of working and having some drivers available, if you really insist on trying Windows older than XP.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

Seriously, todays, when XP is ancient, running something even more ancient than that, on "modern" hardware(if it's a vista laptop it's probably at least 8 years old) is pointess, and you probably won't be able to get most stuff working anyway, and if it's a dual core laptop it only would use 1 core so it'll waste resources, if that laptop runs slow even with XP, it's probably complete garbage.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

mine_ wrote:Hi,

i have a windows vista laptop that i downgraded to xp. what should my next step be for going to 98?
First thing to note is that an automated downgrade from Windows XP is possible only if you upgrade an existing install of Windows first. After such an upgrade the setup program adds a "Windows XP" entry to the "Change or Remove Programs" control panel applet, which starts the downgrade process. In any other case, you need to back your stuff up and clean install your preferred operating system.

Also please note that this will more than likely fail or not work as intended on a laptop that came with Windows Vista, considering 2007 laptops weren't generally designed with running 10 years old operating systems in mind. You will most likely find yourself with a 640x480 resolution, 16 colors and no network connection if the operating system boots up at all.

However, to save yourself a lot of trouble you can just use a virtual machine or an emulator without resorting to using unsupported operating systems. Furthermore, if you have some critical software that doesn't work on anything newer on Windows 98, then you should get a computer designed in the same time period as the operating system and not a decade after.
LangsamSpieler wrote:First Windows ME, then 99, then Windows 98, then 95, then Windows 95 Build 224, then Build 189 from Windows 95, then Chicago 81, then Windows 3.11, then Windows 2.0x and at last Windows 1.0x and the big Final: MS-DOS 1.0 and at last step format c:
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

This is not a technical support anyway.

---> Closed.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.