chkdsk and undelete "modified version"

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
Darkstar
Donator

chkdsk and undelete "modified version"

Post by Darkstar »

Hey,

in a stash of floppies I found this one that was apperently distributed by Microsoft Software Services in Germany. It says it contains a "modified version of CHKDSK.EXE and UNDELETE.EXE", and those two files are the only thing that is on the floppy. No text file or other indication on what exactly was modified.

If anyone wants to take a look, feel free to post your findings here, I'd be interested in what exactly was changed (if anything at all).

(Note that the archive.org page says that the EXE files are included as well, but apparently that upload didn't make it through and I'll have to re-add them tonight... for now you'll have to grab the IMG file and extract it using WinImage or similar)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

os2fan2
Donator

Re: chkdsk and undelete "modified version"

Post by os2fan2 »

The date is consistant with the 5.0 to 5.0a updates.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Yes, and in fact these are two of the files that were updated between MS-DOS 5.0 and 5.0a.

- Darkstar: BTW, would you per chance happen to have the actual MS-DOS 5.0a in German?
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

I think I have an MS DOS 5 in German (need to check tonight when I'm back home) but I wouldn't know if it's 5.0 or 5.0A. Is there an easy way to distinguish the two? File date, version strings, etc.?
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

5.0a should be from November 1991 or later IIRC and the main difference are the two files you posted in this topic.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- Darkstar: 5.0 has EMM386 v4.20.06, 5.0a has EMM386 v4.33.06, but that may or may not be identifiable with the German version, since for example the Dutch 5.0a's EMM386 still says v4.20.06 even though it's for all intents and purposes v4.33.06.

But just compare your copy of German MS-DOS 5.0 to the ones on BA which are all 5.0. If FORMAT.COM and SETUP.EXE are bigger, then it's 5.0a. 5.0a also has 8514.VI_ and PRINTFIX.COM that 5.0 lacks.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Okay, I just re-checked and while I have actually 3 copies of MS DOS 5.0 in German (Chicony OEM, Commodore OEM and an "update version"), none of them are 5.0A. The two OEM versions are from may 1991, and the update version is from june.

I'll keep looking maybe something else will pop up