BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 20h, 50m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 1823MB of 3699MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Software with CD/DVD only (no packaging) - acceptable?        Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 pm 
FTP Access

Hello!

I'm wondering if there is any point to me archiving (and subsequently uploading) software or games for which I only have the disc, but not the full packaging?

I am still very new here, and I would like to contribute some items, but I just want to make sure I don't waste anyone's time. I have really tried to read through all of the guides and instructions on the site, and I can tell that the quality standards are very high (which is great!) and that typically all the packaging should be scanned in high resolution and uploaded.

I have some items that are disc-only - some of them I know had packaging at one point, and some of them I'm not even sure if they ever came in anything or if it was just the disc. I am happy to work on archiving them, but if that is not ideal, just let me know!

Before I even attempt to upload anything, I am really trying to do my research and make sure I am following all of the guidelines. I've read all of the guides about how everything should be archived and organized, and I intend to follow those.

Just to give an example of what I'm talking about, I have a copy of Lotus SmartSuite 9.8, that I'm sure came with a box at some point but all I have now is the Disc.

Any help is appreciated!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Software with CD/DVD only (no packaging) - acceptable?        Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 WMC
Yes, it should be perfectly acceptable. Be sure to read the dumping and scanning guides in mrpijey's signature.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Software with CD/DVD only (no packaging) - acceptable?        Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
5.1.2463 (Wish it wasnt corrupt)
Scanning the packaging, booklets, etc. of software is optional AFAIK. But, if you like to scan those, that would be great as well. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Software with CD/DVD only (no packaging) - acceptable?        Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:59 pm 
Administrator

The basic rule is that the more you can scan the better. But if you only got the original media then that's better than nothing.

Listings: Online :: Offline

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Software with CD/DVD only (no packaging) - acceptable?        Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:02 am 
FTP Access

Thank you all for answers and the quick response! Again, I just didn't want to do it wrong and waste time. I've been reading around and I can tell that there has been some frustration with people not following the rules or not doing the best job with uploading. I have definitely read through the guides and I will do my best. Thanks!

EDIT: I archived, compressed, and uploaded the Lotus Smartsuite 9.8 example to the upload server. Hopefully I've done everything correctly, else I face enormous amounts of shame and embarrassment, haha! :)

I still have lots more to do --- unfortunately, I archived several discs yesterday before realizing the logs were needed. I assume I'll have to re-rip those to get the logs.

Top  Profile