Software with CD/DVD only (no packaging) - acceptable?

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
sadikyo

Software with CD/DVD only (no packaging) - acceptable?

Post by sadikyo »

Hello!

I'm wondering if there is any point to me archiving (and subsequently uploading) software or games for which I only have the disc, but not the full packaging?

I am still very new here, and I would like to contribute some items, but I just want to make sure I don't waste anyone's time. I have really tried to read through all of the guides and instructions on the site, and I can tell that the quality standards are very high (which is great!) and that typically all the packaging should be scanned in high resolution and uploaded.

I have some items that are disc-only - some of them I know had packaging at one point, and some of them I'm not even sure if they ever came in anything or if it was just the disc. I am happy to work on archiving them, but if that is not ideal, just let me know!

Before I even attempt to upload anything, I am really trying to do my research and make sure I am following all of the guidelines. I've read all of the guides about how everything should be archived and organized, and I intend to follow those.

Just to give an example of what I'm talking about, I have a copy of Lotus SmartSuite 9.8, that I'm sure came with a box at some point but all I have now is the Disc.

Any help is appreciated!

awesomeguy

Re: Software with CD/DVD only (no packaging) - acceptable?

Post by awesomeguy »

Yes, it should be perfectly acceptable. Be sure to read the dumping and scanning guides in mrpijey's signature.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

Scanning the packaging, booklets, etc. of software is optional AFAIK. But, if you like to scan those, that would be great as well. :)

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

The basic rule is that the more you can scan the better. But if you only got the original media then that's better than nothing.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

sadikyo

Post by sadikyo »

Thank you all for answers and the quick response! Again, I just didn't want to do it wrong and waste time. I've been reading around and I can tell that there has been some frustration with people not following the rules or not doing the best job with uploading. I have definitely read through the guides and I will do my best. Thanks!

EDIT: I archived, compressed, and uploaded the Lotus Smartsuite 9.8 example to the upload server. Hopefully I've done everything correctly, else I face enormous amounts of shame and embarrassment, haha! :)

I still have lots more to do --- unfortunately, I archived several discs yesterday before realizing the logs were needed. I assume I'll have to re-rip those to get the logs.