BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 20h, 53m | CPU: 62% | MEM: 2508MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:40 am 
Administrator

Seems I outgrew the new BA FTP server pretty quickly. I've gotten a larger 2U server which more or less is identical to the existing except that it comes with more RAM, more expansion ports and a much less noisy cooling system. It also comes with upgraded CPUs so all and all the server will be faster.

So (preliminary) this weekend I will do the full upgrade where I disconnect and pull out the old server, move over RAM, all drives, controller cards, BBUs and other stuff to the new server and install it into the rack cabinet.

During this time FTP archive will be completely offline as well as the webpage that lists the BA FTP contents.

Listings: Online :: Offline

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222 B
Will we need to re-generate a new password after the new server is up or will the passwords transfer over?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
JackArchive wrote:
Will we need to re-generate a new password after the new server is up or will the passwords transfer over?

No. AFAIK only the FTP data server will be offline.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:23 pm 
Administrator

No, the FTP server doesn't handle the authentication so the passwords are not affected by the upgrade.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
the Unices and linuces.
The file server doesn't do auth for its own users? What kind of..... Winserver right?

Last edited by valvedubstep on Thu May 18, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:43 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
The FTP server is two layers, both running Windows. There's the server on the Hetzner box, the same box the forum is on, handling authentication, which then acts as some sort of a "FTP intermediary" to the server with the actual files, that is with mrpijey.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
the Unices and linuces.
Battler wrote:
The FTP server is two layers, both running Windows. There's the server on the Hetzner box, the same box the forum is on, handling authentication, which then acts as some sort of a "FTP intermediary" to the server with the actual files, that is with mrpijey.

That makes more sense....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
The server you've got, is it a proliant 380?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:39 pm 
Administrator

It's a Proliant DL360, but will be upgraded to a DL380.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:54 pm 
Administrator

Happy to say that upgrades went off without a hitch. Must have been the smoothest server change I've ever done. I got a little bit worried when all my drives disappeared and my RAID volumes yelled "failed", but all I had to do was set them all to online and they all were enabled without any errors. So everything is back up. The new server seems a bit noisier, but I am going to install a water cooling kit later on. Today is also the hottest day in the entire year so my server room is less than cool so that may also be why the fans are going at full speed.

Just for fun, here's the performance tab from Windows:

All I need to do now is get some new mounting screws for the server as the ones I had were too large, so atm the server is sitting on my storage server without anything holding it to the rack cabinet.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
What gen was the old dl360?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:25 pm 
Administrator

It was a Generation 7 as well, so hardware-wise it was the same except that the new DL380 has more stuff in it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:27 pm 
FTP Access

I'm glad to hear everything went through without any major issues! I imagine even despite the smooth transition that this was still a decent amount of work and time - thanks so much for all you're doing!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Debian 6
mrpijey: Nice work. I think maybe some of the stats however went lost, or they're not being generated anymore: https://www.betaarchive.com/serverinfo.php

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Server upgrade (prelim)        Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:39 pm 
Administrator

Thanks for letting me know, the graph settings apparently reset themselves with the "new" hardware. It's fixed now.

Top  Profile  WWW