Dealing with people who show off (FAKE) screenshots

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
DiskingRound

Dealing with people who show off (FAKE) screenshots

Post by DiskingRound »

A recent case involving fake screenshots of a Windows 1.0 pre-alpha had me convinced it was real. However I started gaining suspicions after he posted the piano with colors, and then he said it was fake. While I understand he is not a native speaker of English, I do suggest there be a new forum rule to prevent this from happening again:

- Any fake screenshots must have clear indications they are fake.

Of course, it's best just not to post any fakes all together. This was posted in the old Fake Screenshots thread, but it should be forum-wide too.

If this rule is already implemented in one form or another or if you disagree I am sorry. This is my personal opinion.

Battler
Donator

Re: Dealing with people who show off (FAKE) screenshots

Post by Battler »

I am personally for forbidding fake screenshots altogether - all they do is mislead people, and even if clearly labeled, not everyone reads the associated posts, and they can easily get spread as real. Let's just note how many fake screenshots from the old "Fake screenshot contest" threads are still being spread around as real.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Battler wrote:I am personally for forbidding fake screenshots altogether - all they do is mislead people, and even if clearly labeled, not everyone reads the associated posts, and they can easily get spread as real. Let's just note how many fake screenshots from the old "Fake screenshot contest" threads are still being spread around as real.
Or that. Or, one way to indicate a screenshot is fake is to put a big red text in the image saying its FAKE, not real, not part of MS history and should not be posted as the real deal.

I agree though, I still don't feel confident with even that. Maybe the best way is to ban fakes all together.

JackArchive

Post by JackArchive »

DiskingRound wrote:A recent case involving fake screenshots of a Windows 1.0 pre-alpha had me convinced it was real. However I started gaining suspicions after he posted the piano with colors, and then he said it was fake. While I understand he is not a native speaker of English, I do suggest there be a new forum rule to prevent this from happening again:

- Any fake screenshots must have clear indications they are fake.

Of course, it's best just not to post any fakes all together. This was posted in the old Fake Screenshots thread, but it should be forum-wide too.

If this rule is already implemented in one form or another or if you disagree I am sorry. This is my personal opinion.
I back this rule. Faux screenshots can become misleading to our community. :?
-=JackArchive=-
Preserving since the last time we all partied like it's 1999...

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

I thought this was already forbidden? Or am I missing something?
Rules wrote:You must NOT:
- Discuss unleaked material that you possess unless you are willing to share it with the site.
Depending on interpretation, this rule can easily include cases such as this where someone posts screenshots of an unleaked build without providing the build itself or explicitly stating the screenshots are not the real deal.

Also, it would help to prevent leakbaits if you people didn't freak out everytime someone posts a screenshot or some other material that doesn't really confirm anything, but can easily be faked - as this latest case (and many others before that) has proven. Honestly, the only thing this does is encouraging attention trolling.

Sure a screenshot or video can be more or less accurate and thus can incite doubt or belief that what it depicts is fake/real, but at the end of the day, the only way to actually confirm whether or not a build is legit is to see it first hand.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

I knew that rule existed at some point in time, I just wasn't sure it still does. Since it does, this discussion is moot. This rule was put in place exactly to prevent people posting things about unleaked builds without any intention to share it (or worse, with the intention to fool everyone).
Overdoze wrote:Also, it would help to prevent leakbaits if you people didn't freak out everytime someone posts a screenshot or some other material that doesn't really confirm anything, but can easily be faked - as this latest case (and many others before that) has proven. Honestly, the only thing this does is encouraging attention trolling.
I absolutely agree with this.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

James

Post by James »

It's common sense--don't post fake screenshots. The rules do say they're not exhaustive, and posting fake screenshots could be considered a disruptive behaviour, thus requiring disciplinary action.

A.S. aka nanocomp.invent.

Post by A.S. aka nanocomp.invent. »

@Overdoze, @Battler, and @James, have interpreted the rules, as stating that fake screen shots are forbidden. So if I were you, and were absolutely convinced that it was a fake screenshot, I would report that POST that contained the fake screenshot, as well as, the USER (for violating rules) that uploaded it.