BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 4h, 17m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 7536MB of 24567MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Professional
As the title said, I want to create custom installations of Windows 9x (95/98/Me), but there aren't too much solutions on Internet. I want to do this like I do with nLite or NTLite. There are some custom installations, like Windows 98 TE (reffered as Third Edition, it's mentioned here some time ago).

So, any ideas how to create Windows 9x custom install? Thanks.

1. Microsoft BackOffice Server 2000 (the one on FTP have incorrect timestamps)
2. Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 SP4 (it's mentioned on MDL, but no DL links available)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
1057 & 2195
It's not very easy, as compared to Windows NT-based installations (whether it's an NT5 based install or NT6 based).

Windows 9x works by using CAB chaining, so you'd have to restructure the whole set of around 30 CAB files.

I was never particularly interested in the guts of the 9x install, but I know a good piece of info, that is, in MINI.CAB, there is a stripped-down version of Windows 3.1 (which you can use with custom programs).

I can look into the guts of 9x, and forward you some info.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win95C & Win98SE
There are ways to do it. I have my own custom builds of 95 OSR2.5, 98SE, and ME that slipstream most HotFixes and some other enhancements. For example my 95 OSR2.5 build already includes my CPU clock speed fixes and USB + USB storage support already installed out of the box. My 98SE build does the same with USB storage + USB2 support. Also slipstreamed VMware VGA drivers to escape 640x480x16 automatically when running in a VM.

There is an old thread at MSFN regarding "w98_slip" that covers the subject pretty well. I don't know if all of the tools referenced there are still available or not though. I use a special slipstreaming package developed by rloew, but it isn't free.

EDIT: Corrected name of old package

Last edited by LoneCrusader on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:27 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows
Custom installation in what sense?
if you mean the serial already stored, a custom image on startup ... you can do
if you want to automate installation with the folder $ OEM $ is not possible

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
Automation of Windows 9x setup is possible using MSBATCH utility \Tools\ResKit\batch.exe in OEM CD

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Professional
Example is listed on this link: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=32473. I have no idea on which way the guy created this installation, how he added programs, DirectX etc. I've heard for 98Lite, but it's not this which I'm looking for.

1. Microsoft BackOffice Server 2000 (the one on FTP have incorrect timestamps)
2. Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 SP4 (it's mentioned on MDL, but no DL links available)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
He extracted cabinet files, modfied and put everything back together

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
3.11 WfW, 98SE, 5.1.2464, LH4001
LoneCrusader wrote:
w9xslip

There are only 2 results in Google searching w9xslip: this topic and an MSFN one which you locked not helping at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win95C & Win98SE
oscareczek wrote:
LoneCrusader wrote:
w9xslip

There are only 2 results in Google searching w9xslip: this topic and an MSFN one which you locked not helping at all.

Apparently I was wrong about the name of the old thread and package. :?

Here's the original MSFN topic I was referring to.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/81068-w ... indows-9x/
And here's some more discussion of this same subject.
viewtopic.php?t=29398

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 3.51
Nashville wrote:
I want to do this like I do with nLite or NTLite.

So, 98Lite then? It still seems to be commercial software, but a search of this very forum will yield a working download link for the full version.

Honestly, I don't see how you can claim "there aren't too much solutions on Internet" when the tool you're looking for is mentioned on the Wikipedia article for "Software remastering" alongside nLite and NTLite...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Modifying Windows 9x installation - Is it possible?        Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win95C & Win98SE
98Lite is a tool to reduce a 98/ME installation and remove certain items. It cannot add any updates or "slipstream" etc to my knowledge.

Top  Profile