What's up with the Windows NT 3.5 Beta logo?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
Temeky

What's up with the Windows NT 3.5 Beta logo?

Post by Temeky »

I was looking through some videos of old Windows bootup screens, and I found this:

Is this real? If it is, does anyone know why the Windows logo looks like that? Feels VERY odd for Microsoft to change their Windows logo to this, and only to revert it back to the old one again. Anyone got any clue at all what inspired this change, or any info at all about this? Or is it just fake? Is this build available on the FTP server?

Just curious.

Courage

Re: What's up with the Windows NT 3.5 Beta logo?

Post by Courage »

It's definitely not fake. This particular image can be seen as one of the backgrounds of Windows NT 3.5 Beta 1, which is build 612. There is also a variant of this with the Server branding available in 612 Advanced Server. Both are available on the FTP, though 612 Advanced Server was only leaked recently.

As for the 'why' part, who knows? Maybe the Windows logo on a waving flag could mean that NT 3.5 was in a state of change at that time and not completely settled yet. In the end, the branding changed a couple of times before it settled on the 3D Windows logo seen in the RTM. If you're curious, 756 Server and Workstation feature another branding separate from this or the RTM. 782 onwards have the RTM branding.

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

Temeky wrote:I was looking through some videos of old Windows bootup screens, and I found this:

Is this real? If it is, does anyone know why the Windows logo looks like that? Feels VERY odd for Microsoft to change their Windows logo to this, and only to revert it back to the old one again. Anyone got any clue at all what inspired this change, or any info at all about this? Or is it just fake? Is this build available on the FTP server?

Just curious.
It's real. The code name was Daytona. It's a city in Florida famous for holding car races. NT 3.5 signifies the finalisation of the Win32 api, and it brought a lot of optimisation that NT 3.1 was desperately lacking. Also, 3.5 lowered memory requirements and shipped with the Microsoft TCP/IP stack.

In many ways, NT 3.1 was still beta quality regarding fine tuning, and 3.5 was the first prime time release
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

Also you wave the checkered flag at the end of the race.
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

Fxv62

Post by Fxv62 »

actualy thats the old beta flag for 3.5th new flag might be similar to our 1994-1996 all those nts came before NT 4.0 then years later they got unsupported before nt 4.0 was and that you heard 3.5 is apart of the NT 3x family :D :-[

ThatOneWindowsFan

Post by ThatOneWindowsFan »

Late reply, but I think I'm the only one who thought it was the Windows logo slamming down on the ground.

Now I realized it's actually a flag.