Windows XP Embedded

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
lukebutler111

Windows XP Embedded

Post by lukebutler111 »

Hi

It has come to my attention that a genuine edition of Windows XP embedded can be extremely hard to find without venturing off to a torrent site. Does anyone know why this might be? Was this version flawed or just got left behind?

Thanks

Dr.pepper

Re: Windows XP Embedded

Post by Dr.pepper »

Windows XP embedded was intended for weird setups. because it has POS (Point of sales) for cash registers and ATMs.
I hate anime and I hate weebs

pittical

Post by pittical »

Well, it is a very niche product. And besides, most copies I saw were digital downloads (legal though - eg I own one obtained through some "Academy Alliance" program), which makes finding a "genuine" copy (ie hardcopy with all the paperwork) even harder.

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

Wait, this is a rare copy of Windows XP to find? I think I have a copy sitting around here somewhere.

Dr.pepper

Post by Dr.pepper »

My brother works for IBM, i'll see if he can get you a legit copy of Embedded. And as far as i can tell, embedded had to be purchased from Microsoft, Because i never remember seeing any copy's of embedded at my local micro center in 2009 when it was released

Dr.pepper

Post by Dr.pepper »

Ok, i got a disk image, but i don't know how to give it to you. :?

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Dr.pepper wrote:And as far as i can tell, embedded had to be purchased from Microsoft, Because i never remember seeing any copy's of embedded at my local micro center in 2009 when it was released
I'm guessing you're referring to Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and/or Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, which are both based upon XP SP3. As such they are not considered abandonware by BetaArchive due to being still in support and less than 10 years old. The original XP Embedded meets the definition of abandonware, at least as far as SP1. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the OP was looking for the original XP Embedded.

But yes I believe the only way to acquire Embedded is either through being an OEM or having a Software Assurance agreement. It was also available through Microsoft Imagine (formerly called DreamSpark), except it was still an eval version.
Dr.pepper wrote:Ok, i got a disk image, but i don't know how to give it to you. :?
Just upload it to Mega or something and PM the OP the link.
Goldfish64

lukebutler111

Post by lukebutler111 »

Yes I'm looking for the Original "Windows XP Embedded" not "Windows Embedded 2009 Standard" Or "Windows Embedded POS Ready 2009"

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

I looked on the FTP and I did not find it. I'm guessing it would have been distributed on several CDs but it might have been sent out through MSDN as well. The evaluation links seem to be dead though and searching for it brings up WES 2009, likely since that was XPe's replacement.
Goldfish64

Dr.pepper

Post by Dr.pepper »

Oh, in that case you will not like my disk images, it POS ready 2009. Oh well, you may have to venture off to a torrent site

pittical

Post by pittical »

So you're looking for the files, not info, huh? Maybe I can find the version I got from uni a few years back. XP Embedded R2 OK, or do you specifically need the very first, unpatched release? Don't remember which one I got... And in any case it might take a while until I get around to it. Torrenting would probably be a lot faster - I can vouch for the one with hash 6C0DC08D5AF0AA2249DA7B66D027E1819518AF2C, it's what I've been using on occasion. Works fine, and you can choose wether you want to install SP2 or not.

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

Is this what you are meaning?

ImageImage

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

I think so, but would you be able to upload that to the FTP? I guess you could upload it somewhere else too seeing as the OP doesn't have FTP access.

How many CDs does that consist of?
Goldfish64

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

I can upload it to both the FTP and something like Mega for OP. It's got 9 CD's.

I also have no idea how to install it, never ventured into Windows XP Embedded territory.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Well if it's anything like WES 2009, it is a set of applications that you install onto a Windows XP Professional system along with some form of SQL Server for the database. You then use the Windows Embedded Studio to actually design and build the XPe image and deploy it to the target device.

In short, it is more involved then simply booting and installing from a disk.
Goldfish64

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

Yeah, that isn't something that's up my alley.

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

Okay, I have it uploaded to Mega. Just wondering if I can actually post the link on here? It's got a copyright of 2004.

I'll upload a more complete copy to the BA FTP once I get images scanned. I got rid of my scanner when I moved to Nevada, so I was wondering if anyone had some cheap recommendations?

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Well it is over 10 years old and support ended in 2011, so it should be OK.

The best way I can think of is to go to Goodwill or some other thrift store and buy a scanner, unless there is someone else in the area that has one. You would want to scan the CD's, the box sleeve insert, and any documentation inside the box.
Goldfish64

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

I'm having issues with Mega, I uploaded it and then downloaded it to test if it would open, and it didn't. I've tried 2 times and it won't open after I download it. It opens on my PC just fine, but not after it's downloaded off of Mega. I'm going to upload it to Google Drive and keep it on there until I upload it to the BA FTP. I'll see about getting a printer tomorrow and finishing up the release.

Edit: Here's a temporary link to the Windows XP Embedded Disc Images. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Ywb ... 3NkRVVvbW8

pittical

Post by pittical »

Goldfish64 wrote:Well if it's anything like WES 2009, it is a set of applications that you install onto a Windows XP Professional system along with some form of SQL Server for the database.
It is. Win2K as a host system is fine too.

So it's nine discs? Interesting, the torrent only has three, two for the base install and one for the SP2 update. Seems like this product comes with looots of documentation. :cool:
edit: ...oooor just six discs full of foreign language addons. Well, I guess that's useful to somebody too.

lukebutler111

Post by lukebutler111 »

Subject: Windows XP Embedded
DarkenMoon wrote:Is this what you are meaning?

ImageImage
Yes! That is what I mean! Is there any way you could upload it somewhere like a file sharing site somewhere as I dont have FTP access?

pittical

Post by pittical »

Check three posts up from this one, there's a Google Drive link...

lukebutler111

Post by lukebutler111 »

I know, I started downloading the files about a minute after I uploaded that response

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

I've found the files for the evalulation version of SP2 on the Wayback Machine here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200510292351 ... fault.aspx
and here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200510130552 ... fault.aspx

EDIT: The Microsoft-provided product key for eval purposes can be found in the productkey.txt file in disk1.cab at the first link.
Offtopic Comment
Is it OK to post such keys on the forum? They are supposed to be known to the public after all.
EDIT2: Here is the key: MCQ2F-6K2HW-BFFR4-VQG8V-GDJY6.
Last edited by Goldfish64 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldfish64

pittical

Post by pittical »

If it's part of the original distribution media, and not even personalized, I don't see why not. In fact, I'd argue that you should not remove it since you'd have to tamper with the distribution to remove the file.