Windows 2000 Resource Kit + Support Tools.

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
os2fan2
Donator

Windows 2000 Resource Kit + Support Tools.

Post by os2fan2 »

I have been trying to import the 'support tools' into the Windows 2k display. I finally did it.

If you run up the win2k reskit, it sets up this nice screen. Something like this:

You will notice the last icon here is a non-standard one: support tools. This group contains the support tools, "directly copied" from the start menu. Unfortunately, chasing it down is a tale of spaghetti ini-files.

The actual folder opened is c:\fenster\Resource Kit Pro, where %windir% is c:\fenster. This is an empty folder, but contains a hidden file 'desktop.ini'. In turn, desktop.ini points to a CLSID={7E085FB5-D0EF-11D2-8E15-0000216659E4}. This hides in registry, so we head off there. This tells us that the default handler for it is rkadmin.dll, and little else.

Searching for "Resource Kit" in registry, brings us to the real ini. It is in

LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Reskit\NameSpace\Windows 2000 Pro Resource Kit :

Of course, this is not where the individual groups are. They're hiding in a different file: c:\fenster\tools\rkpro.ini. This is the directory where both the support tools and the reskit is installed. When you get into this file, it's a pretty straight forward layout, as

Code: Select all

[Categories]
    name=
    Column=Name,,
    Column=Description,Desc,256
    category=folder name

[folder name]
    ColumnInfo=category
    icon=%installdir%\iconmame.
   tool = Tool Name

[Tool Name]
Path=%installdir%\tool.exe
Desc=Dorky tool
Help=%installdir%\helpfile.chm::120
Arguments=/?

You can use any name for folder and tool names, except the obvious Categories.

So you add a new category called 'support', fill out the [Support] with all of the names of the odds and ends, and then create a tool section for each name you add. All done? Nah. It's progman, through the registry, so you have to add a new registry key

Installed16=Support Tools

Now it works.

voidp

Re: Windows 2000 Resource Kit + Support Tools.

Post by voidp »

os2fan2 wrote:You will notice the last icon here is a non-standard one: support tools.
I don't understand the problem. The "Support Tools" folder icon actually looks standard (a plain folder icon). Is that the issue? If so, what does the fix look like?

os2fan2
Donator

Re: Windows 2000 Resource Kit + Support Tools.

Post by os2fan2 »

There is no actual folders here. What you are looking at is actually a single file (rkpro.ini). In the resource kit, there is no folder for 'Support Tools'. The exercise was to create the thing.

I actually set the icon to be something else (a new icon created in the resource kit), but it did not show.