Game Updates

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
Threat
Donator

Game Updates

Post by Threat »

On the FTP there is a section for Updates (Abandonware) Service Packs & Updates - but this seems only to contain Application updates.

But lots of games had patches/updates, eg Doom made updates 1.1 to 1.2 etc.

Lots of other manufacturers also made game updates available too, yet there does not seem to be a suitable section for this on the FTP. These should be preserved also where possible as they often cannot be downloaded from the original websites anymore.

Any thoughts?

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Game Updates

Post by mrpijey »

If members start to upload updates for abw products then I don't see a problem creating a new section for those updates. Usually I add the updates to the release itself (extras_updates.rar) when found. The Service packs and Updates section is mostly for MS products so far.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

How should updates be uploaded? I'm guessing most updates are self-extracting EXEs from a website rather than from original media. SimCity 4 Deluxe, for example, came on two CDs with a patch made available later in the form of an EXE from the Maxis website.
Goldfish64

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Upload it with the same name as release name, but with an update suffix. Just some easy way for me to know it's an update. And please, add the version number to the folder name as well, or a readme. Any updates that comes without this info will be ignored as I have no time to do the detective work on uploads.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP