Windows Longhorn Build 4074: Active Directory Login

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
computerkid2000

Windows Longhorn Build 4074: Active Directory Login

Post by computerkid2000 »

Hello everyone! It's been years since the last time I've ever posted on BetaArchive, so since I was messing around with Active Directory, I decided why not try Active Directory logon in Windows Longhorn 4074 and see if it's similar to how Vista RTM does Active Directory Log on and post them to Beta Archive? So, here are the results of my experiment!

Normally, when you install Windows Longhorn 4074, you'd have to logout of the Administrator account to see this screen, which surprisingly, has the CTRL+ALT+DELETE to unlock screen which isn't normal on a standard install of Windows client. That's normally a thing you'd have to configure.

So here's the main "Pick a user to begin" type thing just like in XP. This is pretty normal, even for post-Longhorn Windows.

There's a "Log on as other user" link on the "Pick a user" screen, and it leads me to this standard log on screen. Reminiscent of the Windows Classic log on screen like in 2000 and XP. I thought that when I add Active Directory, it would add the drop down box for "Domain:" like in the Windows Classic version. I found out otherwise later on.

So we login as Administrator! Everyone has seen this before, but as you already know, the current user is at the top of the Start Menu.

So, let's add a domain! We go to Start > Right-click "My Computer" > Properties > and "Computer Name". From there, we got the buttons to add the computer to a Domain. Wait! Where is the domain though?

Right here, in the background! It's Windows 2000 Server configured as a DNS, DHCP and Active Directory server! It might not be Server 2003, but it'll work for this use.

"gensokyo.gensokyo.local" Yup, we are definitely on the same network as the Server! Now we can hook up Longhorn to an Active Directory domain.

I skipped a few steps in the pictures, but you had to select a few options to tell Windows it's going to be part of a Domain. Here we are, adding in the login details of Satori, who is authorized to add the computer to the GENSOKYO domain. (If you can tell what I am referencing here, props to you fellow!)

Here it's asking us what the computer name is and what domain it's going to be on. I'm not too sure what's going on here, but putting the full "GENSOKYO.GENSOKYO.LOCAL" under "Domain" seems to work, so I'm rolling with it!

I dunno why Windows always asks for a second login for this, but eh, I'm just typing in Satori since this account is authorized to do this. After this, I finish up adding Longhorn to the Domain and set the VM to reboot.

The CTRL+ALT+DELETE screen happened again, so I skipped it. Here I actually clicked on the "Administrator" thing, and unlike last time where it logged in immediately, it asks for a password. Administrator doesn't have a password, so I'm assuming that this has something to do with Active Directory now being a thing.

I click "Log on as other user", and to my surprise, there's no "Domain" drop down box. So I assume it's already set to log on onto the GENSOKYO Domain and type in the username and password like this.

Longhorn proceeds to tell me that it doesn't know what this user even is.

I remember reading in the final version of Vista and 7 when it's on a domain, there's usually a thing telling you how to log on to another domain. It's always "domain\user", so I attempted that here.

That worked! That logged me in as Satori on Windows Longhorn. At this point, I was pretty amused that the thing even worked! Then I remembered on the final version of Vista and 7, when you logged out after logging on as "Other User", windows remembers this log on and puts the Domain and User for you so you only have to type in the password. I proceed to log out.

Bam! Just like on Vista RTM and later, Windows Longhorn remembers the previous user who logged on.

There you have it! Windows Longhorn 4074, despite being before the whole Development Reset of 2005, it even has this feature of Vista and later already envisioned and in operation. It's not quite the same, but the jist of the later graphical log on screens for Windows are here, way back in the year 2004. I find this fascinating, so I hope someone else here does too!

WindowsNeptune
Donator

Re: Windows Longhorn Build 4074: Active Directory Login

Post by WindowsNeptune »

Hey friend you really give us a good article! I've never thought this can be done on 4074. I'll try following your article.

P.S. Your wallpaper is Satori, lol. Do you like Touhou Project?

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

Yup back in the Longhorn Reloaded times I've been using 4074 as daily driver and joined my schools Active Directory. Worked like a charm (and like on XP SP1)

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

Nice little tour of Active Directory on 4074. I sometimes do experiments with Active Directory with the intent of using it by default on my main network (I have Server 2012 Essentials on a server over here). So far, I gone absolutely nowhere with that. :D
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

X-Alt

Post by X-Alt »

2hu <3 Also, I spotted a Firefox 23+ Icon. How'd you do it, considering it looks like it's a plain 4074 install?

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

X-Alt wrote:2hu <3 Also, I spotted a Firefox 23+ Icon. How'd you do it, considering it looks like it's a plain 4074 install?
FYI: It is possible to get the latest version of Firefox installed on Windows 2000, so I'm guessing he did a similar trick to install it onto 4074.

computerkid2000

WindowsNeptune wrote:Hey friend you really give us a good article! I've never thought this can be done on 4074. I'll try following your article.

P.S. Your wallpaper is Satori, lol. Do you like Touhou Project?
Well thanks! I figured this would be good information for the BetaArchive.
Also, yes, I am a huge fan of Touhou Project, nice to meet you! :3

Ludacris wrote:Yup back in the Longhorn Reloaded times I've been using 4074 as daily driver and joined my schools Active Directory. Worked like a charm (and like on XP SP1)
Heh, that reminds me of how back in 2008-2009 I actually used Windows Longhorn as my daily OS on an old Dell Dimension 4100. It's amazing how well it worked despite it being 1999 tier hardware. Nice to see another person who did that!

Windows OS wrote:Nice little tour of Active Directory on 4074. I sometimes do experiments with Active Directory with the intent of using it by default on my main network (I have Server 2012 Essentials on a server over here). So far, I gone absolutely nowhere with that. :D
Thanks! From what I can tell, Windows 2000 Server is far easier to set up Active Directory on out of the box than say Server 2012 and 2016.

X-Alt wrote:2hu <3 Also, I spotted a Firefox 23+ Icon. How'd you do it, considering it looks like it's a plain 4074 install?
Touhou is pretty great! Yup, that's actually Vanilla Firefox 42 running on Longhorn! All I did was download the installer straight from Mozilla and ran it. There was one hitch however, as i was running the installer, it basically did the normal Windows XP-style crash of: "Firefox Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close."
Ya know what happened next? The installer didn't actually crash, it actually went on and properly finished the installation and Firefox brought up the normal "Import from previous browsers" thing that happens when Firefox is installed successfully and happens automatically after the download/install when Firefox is first ran. I didn't take a picture of that because I thought "Eh, it's gonna glitch out just like Firefox 4.0." The next part totally blew me away!

Firefox started up PERFECTLY! It's fully functional without any other modifications. This is pretty exciting IMO since it means that 4074 can still be used in 2016, but beyond amusement and just because, why would anyone really need 4074 to do that in the real world? Especially since it's really an unfinished OS. (Also, I had a skype window get in the way of the screenshot, so I blurred it out. Sorry!)

Oh well, at least it works! :D
Windows OS wrote: -snip-
FYI: It is possible to get the latest version of Firefox installed on Windows 2000, so I'm guessing he did a similar trick to install it onto 4074.
I have no clue about that trick, but would winlogon.exe have anything to do with that? Cause I used a special winlogon.exe to get rid of that stupid activation thing since you can't really activate something that the company who made it doesn't acknowledge the OS's existence! I didn't like replacing winlogon.exe since I'd rather it be totally vanilla, so if you know of any Registry hacks that get rid of the Activation thingamabob, let me know! I already know of a utility that gets rid of the timebomb though, TweakNT as it's called. I've used it before, but haven't used it yet. xD
Now my question is, how do you get Firefox 42 on windows 2000? That'd be great to know! o.o

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

computerkid2000 wrote:Thanks! From what I can tell, Windows 2000 Server is far easier to set up Active Directory on out of the box than say Server 2012 and 2016.
Actually, I have Active Directory and a fully working domain set up on my network (thank you Essentials for making that very easy). I just never bothered to configure most of my my other machines to work with it *hehe*
I have no clue about that trick, but would winlogon.exe have anything to do with that? Cause I used a special winlogon.exe to get rid of that stupid activation thing since you can't really activate something that the company who made it doesn't acknowledge the OS's existence! I didn't like replacing winlogon.exe since I'd rather it be totally vanilla, so if you know of any Registry hacks that get rid of the Activation thingamabob, let me know! I already know of a utility that gets rid of the timebomb though, TweakNT as it's called. I've used it before, but haven't used it yet. xD
Now my question is, how do you get Firefox 42 on windows 2000? That'd be great to know! o.o
Unofficial updates for Windows 2000 exists to allow it to run newer programs that can run on XP, since XP under the hood is only a minor update to 2000. Even though I have never got it to work (since the installation of the unofficial updates are very confusing), UXWBill from YouTube got it (at least the nightly builds) working: https://youtu.be/1c5eg7cSYik?t=18m He said he will make a video about unofficial updates soon.

Speaking of 2000, MajorSky17 (the one who makes the Windows on Windows video series about beta builds of Windows) has a tutorial about getting Office 2007 working on Win2K: http://www.windowsonwindows.com/tutoria ... -t107.html

X-Alt

Post by X-Alt »

computerkid2000 wrote: -snip-
Just tried it out, it didn't even cough up an error for me, neat.

computerkid2000

Windows OS wrote: -snip-
Unofficial updates for Windows 2000 exists to allow it to run newer programs that can run on XP, since XP under the hood is only a minor update to 2000. Even though I have never got it to work (since the installation of the unofficial updates are very confusing), UXWBill from YouTube got it (at least the nightly builds) working: https://youtu.be/1c5eg7cSYik?t=18m He said he will make a video about unofficial updates soon.

Speaking of 2000, MajorSky17 (the one who makes the Windows on Windows video series about beta builds of Windows) has a tutorial about getting Office 2007 working on Win2K: http://www.windowsonwindows.com/tutoria ... -t107.html
I saw that video by UXWBill. I figured that would be the case, but i thought there was some other method you could use without doing that. I tried to do that a while, but i couldn't figure it out. lol
So basically, windows XP is essentially windows 2000 with a fancy UI theming system and a few other various enhancements? :P

MajorSky17 is a familiar name... o.o

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

computerkid2000 wrote: So basically, windows XP is essentially windows 2000 with a fancy UI theming system and a few other various enhancements? :P
Uh Huh. Even the tour said so:
https://youtu.be/ae0gkaq-BOk?t=8m6s
Not surprising since the version number only went up .1 (5.0 for 2000 to 5.1 for XP)