Fixed 9883 CHK

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
gus33000
Location: Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Fixed 9883 CHK

Post by gus33000 »

I'm surprised nobody wanted to install 9883 yet, but if they did they may have encountered this during setup around 30%:

This is due to a corrupt file in the wim. Due to this, dism can't apply/extract the wim properly, and as a result, you can't install Windows. The faulting file is msi.dll. Deleting this file from the wim, makes setup progress but it will fail when installing packages, since it searches for that file, but it can't find it. This file has been replaced with the 9879 chk one, but as a result, no msi setup will run on this build, but that's better than nothing, considering no msi.dll from 9883 chk is available.

As DISM couldn't extract the wim, I had to use some other tools to do the job, this patch is not made to be pretty, I didn't bother changing timestamps, it's only made for installing the build.

You can find a video of me installing the build here:

You can download the xdelta patch for it here: (xdelta3, apply with "xdelta -d patch.xdelta" and 6.4.9883.0.fbl_release.141106-1705_amd64chk_client-professional_en-us-JM1_CCSA_X64CHK_EN-US_DV5.iso in the same folder)

https://mega.nz/#!2dpHGYwQ!8OuhdWGlwqqR ... 7hNxw52Q5Y

Have fun with this build!

Note: this iso with the corrupted file, is indeed original. This patch is only made to install the build flawlessly, if anyone has a better fix, they are welcome to submit their own.

Screenshots:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

XDude
Donator

Re: Fixed 9883 CHK

Post by XDude »

Thanks for sharing Gus. I always wonder why MS have these broken builds for Partners. I don't know how they tested it.

Courage

Post by Courage »

Offtopic Comment
Very obvious question, but is the whole 'no .msi setup will run on this build' situation related to the fact that the version number of msi.dll will not = 6.4.9883?

gus33000

Post by gus33000 »

Courage wrote:
Offtopic Comment
Very obvious question, but is the whole 'no .msi setup will run on this build' situation related to the fact that the version number of msi.dll will not = 6.4.9883?
Well it's because I didn't bother searching how to make it work really. There might be an incompatibility between 9879 msi.dll and other setup engine components. However, as you can't get any 9883 chk msi.dll, you can't really make it work, without using some kind of wrapper, or changing the whole component.

Zheng He
Donator

Post by Zheng He »

Hello gus! Could you please tell me what tool did you use to modify the WIM file? Thanks!

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

Zheng He wrote:Hello gus! Could you please tell me what tool did you use to modify the WIM file? Thanks!
PowerISO works with WIM.

gus33000

Post by gus33000 »

ovctvct wrote:
Zheng He wrote:Hello gus! Could you please tell me what tool did you use to modify the WIM file? Thanks!
PowerISO works with WIM.
Except that it won't be able to do anything because the wim is partially corrupt. And if it ever manage to extract some files, you will lose original file attributes and/or timestamps.
afaik, only wimlib can deal with this wim.

I used wimlib with:

Code: Select all

wimlib-imagex.exe update install.wim 1 --command="del 'Windows\WinSxS\[packagenamefor_windows_setup_engine]\msi.dll'"
wimlib-imagex.exe update install.wim 2 --command="del 'Windows\WinSxS\[packagenamefor_windows_setup_engine]\msi.dll'"

wimlib-imagex.exe update install.wim 1 --command="del 'Windows\System32\msi.dll'"
wimlib-imagex.exe update install.wim 2 --command="del 'Windows\System32\msi.dll'"

wimlib-imagex.exe update install.wim 1 --command="add 'msi.dll' 'Windows\WinSxS\[packagenamefor_windows_setup_engine]\msi.dll'"
wimlib-imagex.exe update install.wim 2 --command="add 'msi.dll' 'Windows\WinSxS\[packagenamefor_windows_setup_engine]\msi.dll'"

wimlib-imagex.exe update install.wim 1 --command="add 'msi.dll' 'Windows\System32\msi.dll'"
wimlib-imagex.exe update install.wim 2 --command="add 'msi.dll' 'Windows\System32\msi.dll'"
the msi.dll used is a 'dummy' one, from 9879 chk, I call it dummy because it's just there to make setup progress.

john19998gp

Post by john19998gp »

Thanks for this :)