Odd XP bsod

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
DarkerJ
Donator

Odd XP bsod

Post by DarkerJ »

I'm putting this here, since I don't know where else to put it.

For the past few days, on my dual PIII system, XP (Embedded POSReady 2009) will give me this BSOD right before the login window appears.

I need this system to work, since I have scores of abandonware I'd love to copy and upload here, and I can be copying up to 5 CDs at once with it. (XP has support for these 2 old CD-RW drives that 8.1 does not, and I have 2 internal drives that I dont have external enclosures for)

Reinstallation isn't an option, POSReady 2009 doesn't allow me to reinstall with completely wiping the drive, and I don't have anything I can backup to. It doesn't allow me to repair the install either.

Any ideas about this error? I have Hiren's Boot CD, but I need to know what to fix first.
<°)))><●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬●><(((°>
When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: Odd XP bsod

Post by yourepicfailure »

Somethings wrong with winlogon.exe. Either it it's bad or it's missing something.
Check winlogon.exe. Try a replacement from the posready cd.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

snoopy6489

Post by snoopy6489 »

You could make a vm of win pos 09 and copy that exe to a flash drive then use hirens to copy where it needs to go. can you get in to safe mode?

DarkerJ
Donator

Post by DarkerJ »

snoopy6489 wrote:You could make a vm of win pos 09 and copy that exe to a flash drive then use hirens to copy where it needs to go. can you get in to safe mode?
No, safe mode doesn't work either.
When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

Samuka

Post by Samuka »

This error occurs by several reasons. You can try replace winlogon.exe, msgina.dll, userenv.dll, shgina.dll..

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Check all referenced DLLs that winlogon.exe uses (also transitive ones) and copy them back from installation CD. You can check this with Dependency Walker for example. If that doesn't help, you'd need to attach a debugger to check why exactly the process crashes. It might be some missing/corrupted registry entries or something
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Resident007

Post by Resident007 »

I was having this after using ASC (Advanced System Care). The only way for me was re-installation. winlogon.exe replacement didn't help. Had this error on XP SP3 and 7 SP1

WindowsCollector2000

Post by WindowsCollector2000 »

Have you installed anything before the BSOD? If yes, there may have been a virus that corrupted winlogon.exe. If no, you may need to install MS-DOS if possible. 8-)

EDIT: Just found a link with someone that has the same problem. Did you do this?

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} 0xc0000139

An existing Critical communications error file C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll is no longer valid Microsoft activesync cannot establish a connection with the mobile device until this file has been replaced

To correct this problem, reinstall windows, or replace the file with a newer version

Note: I am running windows XP Home edition, I copied a file from vista and tried to replace and wouldn't let me, I then renamed the existing ws2_32.dll then copied the new file in but the file reverted back to the original version. I then installed DLL REPLACER and used the drag function to move new file from desktop to new location then restarted the computer and comes up with this message

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of

0xc0000139 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

and now using all options it comes up with this error.....

Can anyone please Help with this? Thanks

(Back to me) If yes, you may have installed that file. If no, then, it's probably back to DOS if you have a floppy drive. ;)
i do things.
Pre-Whistler 2428 builds are underrated tbh

DarkerJ
Donator

Post by DarkerJ »

No, last thing I did was install Unity Web Player. (which doesn't work on PIIIs) However, I already reinstalled.
When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

WindowsCollector2000

Post by WindowsCollector2000 »

Glad we could help!
i do things.
Pre-Whistler 2428 builds are underrated tbh