Windows 10 10074 is now available

New news and release discussion.
Goldfish64
Donator

Windows 10 10074 is now available

Post by Goldfish64 »

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... available/

Not showing up in Windows Update though on 10061. Still getting the TWS build.

Rebooting fixed the issue. If you are getting a TWS build, reboot to get the latest official build.
Goldfish64

DarkenMoon
Donator

Re: Windows 10 10074 is now available

Post by DarkenMoon »

Aero glass is making a comeback, it seems. I didn't think I'd ever see the day. I was always under the impression that Windows 7 / Windows 8 Beta was going to be the last versions that had glass in them.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

DarkenMoon wrote:Aero glass is making a comeback, it seems. I didn't think I'd ever see the day. I was always under the impression that Windows 7 / Windows 8 Beta was going to be the last versions that had glass in them.
Only certain people are getting it, maybe 50/50? I have yet to see blurring on the laptop and VM upgraded to 10074, and a MacBook Pro and another VM clean installed.

Clean install of 10074:

Definitely no blur there.
Goldfish64

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

Goldfish64 wrote:
DarkenMoon wrote:Aero glass is making a comeback, it seems. I didn't think I'd ever see the day. I was always under the impression that Windows 7 / Windows 8 Beta was going to be the last versions that had glass in them.
Only certain people are getting it, maybe 50/50? I have yet to see blurring on the laptop and VM upgraded to 10074, and a MacBook Pro and another VM clean installed.

Clean install of 10074:

Definitely no blur there.
It is a 50-50 case here(see the link).

Skora

Post by Skora »

Performance-wise, 10074 is absolute pure garbage. Within maybe six hours of installing it I reverted back to 10041, then went back to 9926.
Last edited by Skora on Fri May 08, 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music producer, caffeine addict, and a PC craze.

Chat with me on IRC! [url=irc://irc.r-type.ca/#EDM]#EDM[/url] on R-TypeNet.

gus33000
Location: Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Post by gus33000 »

To anyone getting poor performance there are two things you should know :

First, the Upgrade process in Windows 10 is currently bugged, that means, that the upgrade process does not perform registry modifications right and destroys some app registration and / or apps. That's why you can see in some systems the start menu bug.

Secondly, build 10074 is bugged. You have a lot of bugs in this build such as the broken rendering in the taskbar for Windows Apps and more.

So my advice to those who want this build (I mean it's features) is to Clean Install build 10102. This will fix all your problems. And if you are thinking, I couldn't upgrade to the next preview build, you should know that the next preview build will be a 101xx build and will probably have a bugged upgrade system (It's bugged since build 10049 actually) so no upgrades.

And the new KB Update for 10074 is only a fix for Bluetooth, so don't think it would fix those issues ;)

PingTest

Post by PingTest »

gus33000 wrote:To anyone getting poor performance there are two things you should know :

First, the Upgrade process in Windows 10 is currently bugged, that means, that the upgrade process does not perform registry modifications right and destroys some app registration and / or apps. That's why you can see in some systems the start menu bug.

Secondly, build 10074 is bugged. You have a lot of bugs in this build such as the broken rendering in the taskbar for Windows Apps and more.

So my advice to those who want this build (I mean it's features) is to Clean Install build 10102. This will fix all your problems. And if you are thinking, I couldn't upgrade to the next preview build, you should know that the next preview build will be a 101xx build and will probably have a bugged upgrade system (It's bugged since build 10049 actually) so no upgrades.

And the new KB Update for 10074 is only a fix for Bluetooth, so don't think it would fix those issues ;)
I've upgraded to 10074 from 9600. (via ISO) and everything has gone smoothly, no issues with any of my apps.

Skora

Post by Skora »

gus33000 wrote:To anyone getting poor performance there are two things you should know :

Until they fix the issues I'm having with 10074, I'm sticking with 9926. However, it wants to automatically update me to the latest builds in 9926. How do I disable automatic updating?

Courage

Post by Courage »

PingTest wrote:

I've upgraded to 10074 from 9600. (via ISO) and everything has gone smoothly, no issues with any of my apps.
That's odd, I can confirm that an upgraded system from 10056 to 10074 via an extracted ISO has no issues whatsoever. It could just be my lucky day however, as I do have very good luck with more 'unstable' builds. (like 5259 and this build)

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

Courage wrote:
PingTest wrote:

That's odd, I can confirm that an upgraded system from 10056 to 10074 via an extracted ISO has no issues whatsoever. It could just be my lucky day however, as I do have very good luck with more 'unstable' builds. (like 5259 and this build)
Maybe your tolerant of unstable builds are higher than some whine babies out there.

Through 10074 does give you an explorer.exe error on the first sign in without a MS account when I installed it on VM workstation. It happened both times I installed it.

Courage

Post by Courage »

XDude wrote:
Courage wrote: That's odd, I can confirm that an upgraded system from 10056 to 10074 via an extracted ISO has no issues whatsoever. It could just be my lucky day however, as I do have very good luck with more 'unstable' builds. (like 5259 and this build)
Maybe your tolerant of unstable builds are higher than some whine babies out there.

Through 10074 does give you an explorer.exe error on the first sign in without a MS account when I installed it on VM workstation. It happened both times I installed it.
Offtopic Comment
It's not fully tolerance, but a mix of both tolerance and luck. Here's a rule of thumb for me; if it known to be a 'stable' build, if most certainly will have some issues with my system (think 90:10) and vice versa. The only exception to this rule for me would be Longhorn 4084.

Skora

Post by Skora »

XDude wrote:
Courage wrote:
PingTest wrote:

Maybe your tolerant of unstable builds are higher than some whiny babies out there.

Though 10074 does give you an explorer.exe error on the first sign in without a MS account when I installed it on VM workstation. It happened both times I installed it.
A couple typos i see....

I must be really unlucky then. Upgraded to 9926 from Windows 8.1 (9600 obviously) and never had an issue, runs great (although i did run into the notorious Start menu issue) and then i was automatically updated to 10041. First impressions were terrible, for whatever reason it decided to (on first boot by the way) boot to safe mode, with an error box displaying "Unknown Hard Error".

A while passes, and i see 10074 is out. Ok, seems pretty good, so i upgrade. Big mistake.

For the entire duration of me running 10074, there was a "COM Surrogate" process that completely maxed out my CPU, RAM, and hard disk, rendering the OS as pratically unusable. So no, i'm not being a "whiny baby", as you put it, i'm simply explaining my experience on a forum, which i am allowed to do.

Courage

Post by Courage »

Skora wrote: A couple typos i see....

I must be really unlucky then. Upgraded to 9926 from Windows 8.1 (9600 obviously) and never had an issue, runs great (although i did run into the notorious Start menu issue) and then i was automatically updated to 10041. First impressions were terrible, for whatever reason it decided to (on first boot by the way) boot to safe mode, with an error box displaying "Unknown Hard Error".

A while passes, and i see 10074 is out. Ok, seems pretty good, so i upgrade. Big mistake.

For the entire duration of me running 10074, there was a "COM Surrogate" process that completely maxed out my CPU, RAM, and hard disk, rendering the OS as pratically unusable. So no, i'm not being a "whiny baby", as you put it, i'm simply explaining my experience on a forum, which i am allowed to do.
Wow, this is an unfortunate series of events. Try backing up your data and do a clean install of 10074. (if you want to, that is. Also, do it in a VM first.) Also, that unknown error in 10041 also happened in 10056, but it did not affect much.

One more thing, here's my 'COM Surrogate Process' taken in 10074:

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

To be fair, 10074 does have its fair share of problems.

First, Spartan barely works. It opens, and then closes instantly.

Second, network bridging is heavily borked. My PCI-E wireless card, whose driver I had bridged to the loopback adapter for WinPCap purposes, started giving pings of up to 3114 ms to the router (problem definitely not with my hardware, as with the same card in Windows 7, I had pings to the router of <= 1 ms). Disabled it and plugged in the USB dongle, and pings to router are back to <= 1 ms. And at least one other person reported VMWare and VirtualBox bridging not working and network becoming just as unstable after the installation of said software (which bridge all of your network drivers to their own for obvious reasons).

Add to the fact the deprecation of the control panel (you need to specifically run it now to get access to the old stuff, otherwise everything goes to the Metro PC Settings) and other things in favor of their Metro counterparts... seriously, what part of "we, the desktop power users, want no Metro stuff on the desktop" do Microsoft not get?
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

I must say that 10074 is actually more stable than 1004x releases. The annoying scaling bug is fixed , less occurrences of the lock screen mix up and overall less hard resets.
Battler wrote: Add to the fact the deprecation of the control panel (you need to specifically run it now to get access to the old stuff, otherwise everything goes to the Metro PC Settings) and other things in favor of their Metro counterparts... seriously, what part of "we, the desktop power users, want no Metro stuff on the desktop" do Microsoft not get?

Oh come on... You seem to be a great Metro hater.
What's wrong with the Settings app? Even if it does not offer all the features of the Control Panel applet , I still call it interesting , though they need to increase the feature set for the Settings app. Add to the fact that the Mail app is much better now.

gus33000
Location: Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Post by gus33000 »

Guys, as I said in my post, the issue only appear when upgrading from build 10049 or later. But some of you might be lucky too (for post 10049) But anyway, Clean Installs are always recommended when dealing with Betas on your main PC, because you don't know if the registry settings from the previous builds won't mess up your install.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

x010 wrote:Oh come on... You seem to be a great Metro hater.
What's wrong with the Settings app?
People should still have access to desktop versions!
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

MrFreeman wrote:
What's wrong with the Settings app?
People should still have access to desktop versions!
Ok , I understand that , I was replying to the fact that he did not like the Settings App being replaced as the default one.
Even if it is not polished and actually difficult to access the desktop Control Panel for removing programs as an example, it's not bad at all.

Skora

Post by Skora »

People seem to forget that Windows 10 is in BETA, meaning almost everything they've implemented (or going to implement) is almost always experimental.

Now, there is a good chance that what they have now MIGHT (and i mean might) make to into the Release Candidate phase, however no one can completely predict that.

Why don't you tell Microsoft your thoughts and opinions on their Windows 10 Forum, or on the Windows Feedback app?

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Skora wrote:People seem to forget that Windows 10 is in BETA, meaning almost everything they've implemented (or going to implement) is almost always experimental.

Now, there is a good chance that what they have now MIGHT (and i mean might) make to into the Release Candidate phase, however no one can completely predict that.

Why don't you tell Microsoft your thoughts and opinions on their Windows 10 Forum, or on the Windows Feedback app?
We are in RC right now. UX changes are still a thing but the feature phase of Win10 development is mostly over. We'll have to wait for Redstone to see something drastically changed or new once again.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

What's wrong with the Settings app? Even if it does not offer all the features of the Control Panel applet , I still call it interesting , though they need to increase the feature set for the Settings app. Add to the fact that the Mail app is much better now.
Nothing wrong with the app per se. What's wrong is that it's being pushed down people's throats like the Start Screen was (and thankfully Microsoft backtracked on that).
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Battler wrote:
Nothing wrong with the app per se. What's wrong is that it's being pushed down people's throats like the Start Screen was (and thankfully Microsoft backtracked on that).
Most people won't even notice that it changed..
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

The bigger problem for most people is when they want to change a setting, and it's either in the Metro settings application, OR the control panel. Either they waste time maintaining both, or they kill one and stuff everything in the other. Seems like that's the route they're going down, which is a sensible move. The only problems this will cause is if they end up removing some configurability.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- hounsell: Wasting time? With the financial resources they have, they could surely hire some more people to maintain that stuff. We're not talking about a company involving 2 kids programming in a garage. We're talking about a multi-billion dollar company.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Battler wrote:- hounsell: Wasting time? With the financial resources they have, they could surely hire some more people to maintain that stuff. We're not talking about a company involving 2 kids programming in a garage. We're talking about a multi-billion dollar company.
Yeh, and we're not talking about a small application used by a handful of external clients, we're talking one of the most widely-used pieces of software in the world. The cost of maintaining two interfaces that do the same thing is not simply the development cost. Each bit of code in Windows will incur ongoing costs to support the use of and to maintain. There is no justification for Microsoft to do this when the two pieces of software do identical tasks. It is absurd. You talk about wasting time as if it is nothing, but Microsoft is a corporation in a nominally capitalist society in a genuinely increasingly competitive marketplace. To borrow that well-worn cliché, time is money. Microsoft are not going to throw it away. It has to prove that the increased effort will yield greater returns than the expense of splitting development and supporting both. I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Don't like it? Well, you aren't forced to use Windows 10. And I'm sure there'll be a few die-hards who clone the old UI as a third-party settings application, just as happened with the start menu. But ultimately, I suspect 99% of people won't care, because they won't venture any further into the settings app than changing their desktop wallpaper and colour scheme.