Windows 95 CD-ROM Setup Boot Disk

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Win95Fan

Windows 95 CD-ROM Setup Boot Disk

Post by Win95Fan »

According to some sources, the Windows 95 CD-ROM Setup Boot Disk contents varied from floppy to floppy.
Is that true!?
I'm your biggest fan, Windows 9x series of operating systems!

alcid34

Re: Windows 95 CD-ROM Setup Boot Disk

Post by alcid34 »

If I'm right, then yes. The Floppy had just the basics. The CD has extra stuff like Hover! for example
Pokemon Master Timothy, the greatest Pokemon Brainiac since Ash Ketchum, at your service. I'm also a beginner programmer and Windows Lover!

cantasan99

Post by cantasan99 »

No, he asks boot disk. Not installation media.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

GL1zdA

Post by GL1zdA »

Win95Fan wrote:According to some sources, the Windows 95 CD-ROM Setup Boot Disk contents varied from floppy to floppy.
Is that true!?
There were only OEM floppies - the OEM was supposed to create and deliver them, so every OEM would deliver it with CD-ROM drivers for their computer (if you buy a shrinkwrapped OEM Windows 95 you might find there floppy labels for the OEM boot disks). There was no Windows 95 Boxed CD edition - you could either buy a regular floppy edition or an Windows 95 Update CD edition (without boot floppies - you were supposed to have your CD-ROM configured).

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

The OEM was supposed to put their own cdrom.sys on it, and modify the boot floppy accordingly. There's a prototype diskette in the W95 OAK, and i uploaded the five Win9x disks derived from the OAKs etc, but these were not accepted.

There is an additional .INF file on the diskette, read during setup, which copies the cdrom.sys file to the hard drive.

Win95Fan

Post by Win95Fan »

os2fan2 wrote:The OEM was supposed to put their own cdrom.sys on it, and modify the boot floppy accordingly. There's a prototype diskette in the W95 OAK, and i uploaded the five Win9x disks derived from the OAKs etc, but these were not accepted.

There is an additional .INF file on the diskette, read during setup, which copies the cdrom.sys file to the hard drive.
Can you please upload the disk images somewhere else?
I'm your biggest fan, Windows 9x series of operating systems!

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

These are unmodified makes of the microsoft OAK kit diskettes. For OS/R2 and later, there are cdrom drivers on them, but you have to make your own for Win95 1.

Note that the downloads from betaarchive do not contain the diskettes, and the diskettes are not on the cdroms, unlike OS/2.

h++p//www.os2fan2.com/tmp/w9xboot.rar

Nashville

Post by Nashville »

You can always make untouched floppies in Windows 95 if you set date on 11/07/1995 (for Windows 95 RTM, for example).
My wanted stuff (original media):

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 SP4 (aka SP1a)

pottzman

Post by pottzman »

Win95Fan wrote:
os2fan2 wrote:The OEM was supposed to put their own cdrom.sys on it, and modify the boot floppy accordingly. There's a prototype diskette in the W95 OAK, and i uploaded the five Win9x disks derived from the OAKs etc, but these were not accepted.

Can you please upload the disk images somewhere else?

here is the bootdisk.img unmodified. You will need to copy your own cdrom driver to the floppy and edit the config.sys, autoexec.bat and drvcopy.inf files to include your cdrom driver file.

http://ul.to/4vpu6nap

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

I have two self-extracting WinImage images in my FTP that are also linked to on the http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm web page:

Windows 95 original and "A" floppy only, no CD-ROM support: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95A.EXE

Windows 95 "B" CD-ROM setup: http://sdfox7.com/win95/BOOT95B.EXE
ThinkPad 600E, T23, T41, T61p. ASUS X555 A12 Quad Core 16GB RAM Win10/Win7
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista