Is The Sims 2 actually an Abandomware now?

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
supra107

Is The Sims 2 actually an Abandomware now?

Post by supra107 »

I've seen an article on Polish gaming website that EA Games have DROPPED support on The Sims 2 and now the game with ALL addons is FREE on Origin using the code I-LOVE-THE-SIMS. It's pretty cool, but i wonder...

Did they REALLY dropped the support? Well, we will need to wait a bit to say that TS2 is Abandomware, but, did they actually dropped the support?
Heroes of Might and Magic III for life!

hounsell

Re: Is The Sims 2 actually an Abandomware now?

Post by hounsell »

The old DRM servers have been turned off, this code was supposed to simply be for existing Sims 2 owners to get the Origin version that still works. Think of it as the same sort of thing as when Adobe "accidentally" published CS2 for everyone with activation stripped after they shut down its activation servers.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Technically the Sims 2 will count as abandonware on BA in September, but in other ways, EA shows THEY say it's abandonware by giving it out free.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

the_dj21

Post by the_dj21 »

hounsell : The Sims 2 is available freely for everyone who use the I-LOVE-THE-SIMS code until the July 31 2014.

The_Dj21
Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows and after we will have Midori or an another kernel... I'm sure.

So on this new kernel "classic win32 x86 software" can't be used but with some trick, we can use WinRT software on this new kernel ?

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

how did you get the code?

the_dj21

Post by the_dj21 »

Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows and after we will have Midori or an another kernel... I'm sure.

So on this new kernel "classic win32 x86 software" can't be used but with some trick, we can use WinRT software on this new kernel ?

onza110
Donator

Post by onza110 »

I personally couldn't believe it, still gotta get through the first Sims yet :P

Windows_OS_X_Wheezy

Post by Windows_OS_X_Wheezy »

I don't think so. Rumour has it EA is going to release the Ultimate Collection (What it was giving away for free) on Origin to buy.

HomeBoy

Post by HomeBoy »

It shouldn't be considered abandonware since EA Maxis was a subsidiary of EA, EA still own the franchise as they're the ones who published it.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You will have to look at when the particular edition was released. The original release of Sims 2 can be considered abandonware now, but anything released after 2005 would not be abandonware, regardless of dropped support or not.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP