Windows XP OOBE Product Key step???

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
tariqm

Windows XP OOBE Product Key step???

Post by tariqm »

After "syspreping" an existing XP installation, it asked for an OEM key. I tried most of them and did not work. I know there's a way to bypass this step by adding the following in the oeminfo.ini file in the %windir%\system32\oobe directory:

Code: Select all

[version]
Product Key="valid product key"
Is there a way to completely bypass this step and/or instruct the OOBE to accept retail keys???
     Image     Gotta Catch 'em All?! We got 'em all!

Finding many rare pieces of software from my collection and rare valuables on the web and uploading 'em all to BA's FTP!

Lukas Marsik

Re: Windows XP OOBE Product Key step???

Post by Lukas Marsik »

How about installing a Retail version to begin with, not OEM.

Eggs6131

Post by Eggs6131 »

Lukas is right - as far as I know you can't bypass the Out of the Box Experience screens. Retail is the way to go - with XP Professional you can extract the product key from the ISO itself (I'm not giving you my key as it's a violation of forum rules)
... what are you looking at?

tariqm

Post by tariqm »

How can I make the OOBE ask for a Retail key???

Finding many rare pieces of software from my collection and rare valuables on the web and uploading 'em all to BA's FTP!

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

try to replace pidgen.dll with a version from the retail winxp ;)
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

ReztaNZ

Post by ReztaNZ »

Windows XP retail key should work but there are ways to skip it, like with Windows XP black edition, it doesn't use oobe, has a different install method as it doesn't use the standard installation screen. Perhaps worth checking it out as to how they did it.

tariqm

Post by tariqm »

Here's the screenshot about the Product Key step in the OOBE I'm talking about:

Note that the screenshot above is requesting an OEM key. I tested some Retail and Volume Licensing keys and they work correctly. Is there a way to tell the OOBE to request Retail keys? I tried replacing PIDGEN.DLL and it did not work. Also, how do I trick the Windows Welcome (OOBE when "syspreped") into thinking Windows is already activated so that the "Ready to activate Windows?" screen does not appear. It still displays if I "sysprep" a Windows XP machine with AntiWPA running. And how can I remove the Product Key step from the screenshot above?

yksoft1

Post by yksoft1 »

Use some external boot disk, replace msoobe.exe with cmd.exe, edit the target registry value SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Setup\SystemSetupInProgress.

tariqm

Post by tariqm »

yksoft1 wrote:Use some external boot disk, replace msoobe.exe with cmd.exe, edit the target registry value SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Setup\SystemSetupInProgress.
I tried the OEMBIOS Changer and that worked. I used a Product Key viewer (of course I'm not gonna make a screenshot of it because it's illegal and against the Forum rules!) and added that to the OOBEINFO.INI file and it worked. One time OOBE still declined the key and I felt like I was mad. I believe the OEMBIOS Changer is the solution.