How to build Microsoft Word 1.1A source without a VM

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
yksoft1

How to build Microsoft Word 1.1A source without a VM

Post by yksoft1 »

I have successfully built Word 1.1A source code without the use of any VMs under a modern PC, HP Pavilion Touchsmart 10.1.
First your PC must be able to boot to MS-DOS or Windows 95/98 DOS. This excludes all UEFI-Only systems such as Microsoft Surface Pro (Not sure about Intel Macs, as one of my Macbook Pro could boot to DOS from CD-ROM but not USB).
Second, your PC must have a whole continuous page (64KB) free in the High Memory Area for use with an EMS emulator. I used JEMMEX as the EMS emulator as it only use few KBs of conventional memory, compatible with modern motherboards and also provides XMS service.
Use UMBCHK in UMBPCI package without any memory manager loaded to see the free parts of High Memory Area.
If there are 4 or more continuous blocks, the EMS emulator will work. Take note of the start and the end address.
Write the config.sys using the addresses.
If Mem.exe reported more than 614K conventional memory and 32M EMS is available, the environment should be OK to build non-Debug builds of Word 1.1A.
Microsoft kindly provided the complete toolchain for building the source code with the archive. Most of those tools lay in /Opus/tools directory of the source archive.
Edit your INI file for makeopus.exe.
The "BUILD=" is the directory for storing intermediate files.
Use "+s" option for a Ship (release) build.
Use "NOAPPLOADER=" to disable the Word's own NE loader, thus the output EXE file could be used in Borland Resource Workshop, or potentially run under NTVDM.
Don't forget to check your TEMP environment variable, it must be pointed to a writable directory for some tools used in build progress.
Assume that your INI file name is fast.ini. under Opus directory, run this command

Code: Select all

tools\makeopus @fast.ini
If an Out of Memory error occurs, try running mo1.bat in the BUILD directory instead of running makeopus.exe again as makeopus.exe itself uses conventional memory.
If you see this, the build is succeeded.
If your DOS is booted from a slow media such a USB Flash drive, you could load XMSDSK or other DOS Ramdisk driver that don't use much conventional memory, copy everything to Ramdisk and build Opus from there to save time. However, makeopus.exe will fail if the BUILD directory is outside of boot drive so use mo1.bat in this situation.
Last edited by yksoft1 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

louisw3

Re: How to build Microsoft Word 1.1A source without a VM

Post by louisw3 »

Wow pretty amazing! does it work? Also can you alter the linker scripts so it'll run on 3.0...? or 3.1?

I haven't had time to try to mess with word... :(
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

yksoft1

Post by yksoft1 »

louisw3 wrote:Wow pretty amazing! does it work? Also can you alter the linker scripts so it'll run on 3.0...? or 3.1?

I haven't had time to try to mess with word... :(
I altered some error handling code in initwin.c and init2.c, so the binary even runs under NTVDM in Windows 8.1 without modification. (However it does not run well in Win9x even after using Borland Resource Workshop to convert the binary to Windows 3.0 format, because of some GDI-related bugs.)

yksoft1

Post by yksoft1 »

Bullsxxt I've successfully built this in NTVDM using an EMS-enabled PIF file...
However you won't be able to run this on Windows 8+ NTVDM as it disabled support of OS/2 hybrid executables..

kyberias

Post by kyberias »

ykssoft1, could you please provide more details on building this? E.g. used compiler, SDK, and other tools besides MS-DOS and Windows.

yksoft1

Post by yksoft1 »

kyberias wrote:ykssoft1, could you please provide more details on building this? E.g. used compiler, SDK, and other tools besides MS-DOS and Windows.
Everything required for compilation is already included in the released source archive.

Ringding

Post by Ringding »

I finally attacked the problem of severe memory shortage and managed to build Opus from DOS and Windows using protected mode: https://github.com/Ringdingcoder/hx-for-opus

yksoft1

Post by yksoft1 »

Ringding wrote:I finally attacked the problem of severe memory shortage and managed to build Opus from DOS and Windows using protected mode: https://github.com/Ringdingcoder/hx-for-opus
You made CSL to use HX-DOS DPMI? Amazing..

Ringding

Post by Ringding »

Yes. It was supposed to be able to do this anyway, there were just some bugs lurking.

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

Ringding wrote:I finally attacked the problem of severe memory shortage and managed to build Opus from DOS and Windows using protected mode: https://github.com/Ringdingcoder/hx-for-opus
you may replace some of instructions since HX extender sources has new home (done by Japheth)
https://github.com/Baron-von-Riedesel/HX

Ringding

Post by Ringding »

Thanks, I should do that. I was actually looking for a trustworthy git repo, but the only one I stumbled across was neozeed's project at sf.net.

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

Ringding wrote:Thanks, I should do that. I was actually looking for a trustworthy git repo, but the only one I stumbled across was neozeed's project at sf.net.
and he even showed up in BTTR:
http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board ... p?id=15450

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

Thanks again, I got Word to build & run! no doubt using the OS/2 tools is the more sane approach. I wonder how they would behave on earlier NT as you should be able to seamlessly run MS-DOS/OS2 commands in scripts...

And then Word via WOW
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer