IE6 Beta on Windows XP

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
imback

IE6 Beta on Windows XP

Post by imback »

Sadly, The explorer bars won't work :(
But for the rest, It works!

See?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put the following files from ANY Whistler Beta into a random empty folder:

Internet Explorer
-IEXPLORE.EXE

system32:
-browselc.dll
-browseui.dll
-dispex.dll
-dxtmsft.dll
-dxtrans.dll
-inetcpl.cpl
-inetcplc.dll
-jscript.dll
-mshtml.tlb
-mshtml.dll
-mshtmled.dll
-mshtmler.dll
-shdocvw.dll
-urlmon.dll
-wininet.dll
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WinPC

Re: IE6 Beta on Windows XP

Post by WinPC »

And the point is exactly...? There is no real purpose at all in running a pre-release version of Internet Explorer 6.0 on the OS described above, especially because you are running it on Windows XP Service Pack 3, which was released in 2008 and designed for Internet Explorer 7 and later.

Also, there is far more than that to be added, I'm sure. Even Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Explorer 6 were quite large browsers, and took up quite a lot of disk space. What you are basically getting is a Frankenstein build of Internet Explorer, so this is all quite pointless real.

Seriously, if you want to run a pre-release version of Internet Explorer 6.0, why not just run it the way that it was originally intended (which is to either install it in Windows 98/Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000, or even better yet, to install a Whistler build from the same time period)?

Of course, it is entirely your choice what you want to do with your projects (and I respect that), but all that I'm saying is that there really isn't much point in "installing" a pre-release version of Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Venetik
Donator

Post by Venetik »

WinPC wrote:*
So, moving forward your point, there wasn't purpose in other members works. Like Bogdan works, Kenneth, PortalCake and others high-ranked members.

The point of running ancient stuff is to experiment, see it.

WinPC, additionally, HE IS telling it about Whistler betas, as Whistler was the codename of XP, he pointed XP on topic.
Well, hello friends!

yksoft1

Post by yksoft1 »

IE always requires a LOT of COM components to work. Use a debugger to check whether your IE process loads those beta components or just using the components from the system IE.

bckf

Post by bckf »

WinPC wrote:And the point is exactly...? There is no real purpose at all in running a pre-release version of Internet Explorer 6.0 on the OS described above, especially because you are running it on Windows XP Service Pack 3, which was released in 2008 and designed for Internet Explorer 7 and later.

Also, there is far more than that to be added, I'm sure. Even Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Explorer 6 were quite large browsers, and took up quite a lot of disk space. What you are basically getting is a Frankenstein build of Internet Explorer, so this is all quite pointless real.

Seriously, if you want to run a pre-release version of Internet Explorer 6.0, why not just run it the way that it was originally intended (which is to either install it in Windows 98/Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000, or even better yet, to install a Whistler build from the same time period)?

Of course, it is entirely your choice what you want to do with your projects (and I respect that), but all that I'm saying is that there really isn't much point in "installing" a pre-release version of Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP Service Pack 3.
Do you really need to bring your OCD for "historical accuracy" in every thread you encounter?
Have you ever thought there may be other interesting things about software other than its history?
You clearly are not a technical person, so you don't see a point in trying to figure out how things work and putting them to work.
Well, for some people it's really all that matters.