Drivers

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Tootles
Donator

Drivers

Post by Tootles »

Hi again, just wanted to know where I can get the drivers for a Compaq V55 monitor, and for the onboard Ethernet card in a Dell Optiplex GX1?

I'm running Windows FLP, and would like to get the machine set up with Internet access, just to use to check my emails and to leave on for extended periods when I'm downloading a particularly large file (Windows Update? ). I can't leave my laptop on for days at a stretch, because it overheats very quickly (It's only a little Philips X59).
Long days, and pleasant nights.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

You wouldn't need a driver for a monitor - are you looking for a graphics card driver instead? Have you checked the Dell website? For FLP just use XP drivers, they're basically the same OS.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Yeah, all you get when looking for a monitor "driver" usually is an INF file telling the OS which resolutions at which frequencies/refresh rates the screen supports, and that's not really important. As for the ethernet driver, seeing it's an Optiplex, it's probably integrated (on the motherboard), so I'd have a look at the Dell website. Use XP drivers, as the poster above me said.

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

The OS is just seeing my monitor as a 'Generic PnP Monitor', and won't let me do anything higher than 1024*768, even though I've seen it do resolutions that are WAY higher.

The ethernet card is on the motherboard, that's what I said. I'll have a look for the drivers, thanks.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Have you installed the correct graphics driver for the (presumably onboard?) graphics from Dell? This is usually what would limit the available resolutions - my monitor is also seen as "Generic PnP" by Vista but does the full 1680x1050 with no problems.

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

I'm not sure; I'm just going to download the drivers for the whole motherboard (if I can!).

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

marktuson wrote:I'm not sure; I'm just going to download the drivers for the whole motherboard (if I can!).
You'll probably have to download them individually. What does Device Manager show in the Display adapters category? Does that category even exist?

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

It just says generic.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

iF you bought the monitor retail, it should come with a driver CD. My Dell monitor has a CD with drivers on it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

marktuson wrote:It just says generic.
That means your graphics driver is not installed. It's displaying that under "Display Adapters", right? Then install the drivers for your mobo's onboard GPU.