[Guide] Windows NT 5.0 Workstation PnP Build 1743 Install

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
Windows 94

[Guide] Windows NT 5.0 Workstation PnP Build 1743 Install

Post by Windows 94 »

I have experimenting with this build to see if it works on VPC 2007. And it works! :)
So I wanted to share this with you. This tutorial is for those who don't know how to install build.
1.) First disable ACPI and set BIOS date to any Memphis (in this case, I chose Memphis build 1593, you can choose any build, I recommend Beta 2-Beta 3).
2.)Type fdisk
3.)Do anything until you see this screen
4.)Type format c: /s (not format c:)!
5.)Type R:\WIN9X (RETAIL, WIN9X, or WIN98, it depends on build), and then setup.exe and start setup of Memphis build
6.)Do all settings and copy files, before hardware. Install hardware, and in third stage of Setup, configure settings. And you came to desktop! What now?
7.)You must boot now with Windows NT 5.0 CD and MS-DOS 6.20, 6.21 or 6.22 bootdisk. Type R:\cd i386\winnt /b (/b is to skip floppies). Copy files until you must restart. Don't use bootdisk and CD in other part.
8.)Choose Windows NT 5.0 Installation/Upgrade.
9.)You must create new partition, since it will overwrite Memphis.
10.)Format with FAT, since Windows 9x is FAT, copy files and when this screen appears, press ENTER.
11.) There will be error during hardware installation. Choose Yes, otherwise it will freeze when installing network. Continue until this screen.
12.) Choose "Use Hardware Default Setting" with 65336 color,1024x768, it will be best result, because of 16-bit icons.
13.) Continue until this screen:
14.) When you finish setup, boot into Memphis to delete fdc.sys and empty Recycle Bin.
15.) Boot into Build 1743. Enjoy!
Only problem is font on start menu, it's bad, I haven't got idea how to fix it.
Change icons to 16-bit icons with Effects, tick "Show icons using all possible colors.
Logoff and logon. Enjoy 16-bit icons! :)
16-bit icons are optional, if you want them.
Same way goes to 1745 Server and 1796 Workstation.
Offtopic Comment
Sticky-ing is optional, not required.
Last edited by Windows 94 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dian Li

Re: [Guide] Windows NT 5.0 Workstation PnP Build 1743 Instal

Post by Dian Li »

You dont need to install Windows 98. MS-DOS with the cd drivers works fine too for this purpose.
My Nick means electricity in chinese. I am learning chinese and it is my favourite word at the moment.

Windows 94

Post by Windows 94 »

Dian Li wrote:You dont need to install Windows 98. MS-DOS with the cd drivers works fine too for this purpose.
It's Memphis, codename for Windows 98, used in Beta 1, and in some places, in Beta 2. Memphis is needed for the fdc.sys, fdc.sys causes Black Screen of Death.
And Memphis is best when installing this build up to 1796. It detects second hard drive. So in Memphis fdc.sys can be safely deleted.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Windows 94 wrote:And Memphis is best when installing this build up to 1796. It detects second hard drive.
MS-DOS detects it too.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Windows 94

Post by Windows 94 »

But it's hard to delete files.
Offtopic Comment
Or maybe not?

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Isn’t just installing the NT5 build and then mounting the VHD, deleting the file and restarting the VM like much easier than the need to install 2 builds?

Windows 94

Post by Windows 94 »

Yes, it is, it's just to do something. I was boring here.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

The thing you just shown off is a tutorial known for a bit of time

Dian Li

Post by Dian Li »

Windows 94 wrote:But it's hard to delete files.
Offtopic Comment
Or maybe not?
In DOS:
[Drive Letter (C: for example)]
cd WINNT\system32\drivers
del fdc.sys

;)

After that you can convert the drive to ntfs.
My Nick means electricity in chinese. I am learning chinese and it is my favourite word at the moment.

Windows 94

Post by Windows 94 »

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that. ;)

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

The only problem with disabling ACPI is that it disables a major feature that was newly introduced into the Windows NT 5.0 feature set. You see, Windows 9x already had ACPI support, something which Windows NT 4.0 lacked. Likewise, Windows NT 5.0 was the first version of Windows based on the NT-kernel to support ACPI.

However, if I remember correctly, this build worked perfectly fine in QEMU, so if you tried it in QEMU Manager 5.0, it should work.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

WinPC wrote:The only problem with disabling ACPI is that it disables a major feature that was newly introduced into the Windows NT 5.0 feature set. You see, Windows 9x already had ACPI support, something which Windows NT 4.0 lacked. Likewise, Windows NT 5.0 was the first version of Windows based on the NT-kernel to support ACPI.

However, if I remember correctly, this build worked perfectly fine in QEMU, so if you tried it in QEMU Manager 5.0, it should work.
Well, ACPI support in the early development of Windows 2000 (especially between 15xx and 17xx) was very preliminary and not compatible with the ACPI support that was released in 1999/2000 with Win2000.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

TheCollector1988 wrote:Well, ACPI support in the early development of Windows 2000 (especially between 15xx and 17xx) was very preliminary and not compatible with the ACPI support that was released in 1999/2000 with Win2000.
Still, it would be interesting to see it in action.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

It was still incomplete at the time, hence why it's so buggy and mostly non-working... So getting it to work, but also being able to use the build can be quite a challenge. That's why it's just recommended you disable it altogether if you want to use the build at all...

cantasan99

Post by cantasan99 »

For NT builds, I recommend QEMU. And for Memphis... Some of Memphis builds need VPC 2004 on a older PC. Some of Memphis builds work in VPC 2007.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

Windows 94

Post by Windows 94 »

There's one problem. It sometimes causes BSOD. And did you detect the "Temporary shutdown screen" while shutting down?