WinFS Beta Refresh on Vista/XP - Possible? Useful?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
remi.serriere

WinFS Beta Refresh on Vista/XP - Possible? Useful?

Post by remi.serriere »

Hi all!

As I said in my question, is it possible to install WinFS Beta 1 Refresh (which needs dotNet Framework 2.0 Final, right?) under Windows Vista (final release), or Win XP?

If yes, is it usefull?
I mean... WinFS was about to be a very good stuff in Longhorn (even if I never used it under 4074)... Is the beta an usable release or not?

thanks...

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

I wouldn't say it's usable, it installs a lot of processes that thrash the CPU and use a lot of memory, and it doesn't really do anything useful either in my opinion (I find all this fuss about desktop searching, indexing etc to be just useless hype, it's not a feature I use very often at all - if you do want it you can use the indexer built into Vista or the Desktop Search program for XP anyway).

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

no this Version doesn't work with Vista only under XP
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

remi.serriere

Post by remi.serriere »

Ok... So it's useless, i think... even on XP.
So Indexer under Vista is a WinFS-like ?

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

It does. we mannaged to install it on Vista to make it more like longhorn for LHF xD

remi.serriere

Post by remi.serriere »

Ok !

Thanks for these informations!

longview

Post by longview »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:I find all this fuss about desktop searching, indexing etc to be just useless hype, it's not a feature I use very often at all - if you do want it you can use the indexer built into Vista or the Desktop Search program for XP anyway.
I agree, I never got the point of "INDEX ALL YOUR FILES SO YOU NEVER LOSE ANYTHING EVER" programs. Sure, they may be useful if you have a directory of 10000 documents and want to find one specific quite in one, but for images and music it's mostly useless.
Vista proves this, since really, who wants to go in and tag every single picture in their collection? Let's not forget music files, when was the last time you downloaded a MP3 that had proper tags?
It is not unlikely that you need to manually tag every single one because some moron forget the year, or band name, or just didn't tag them at all!
And then there's file formats, I have a ton of .dts files for 5.1 music, what are the odds that WinFS or whatever could read them?
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X