Computer magazine (Czech) - Whistler, Longhorn...

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
jagotu

Re: Computer magazine (Czech) - Memphis, NT5.0...

Post by jagotu »

Yes, there is, and I'll come to it eventually, for example Whistler build 2462 has a big article :)
Offtopic Comment
@AlphaBeta: Všiml jsem si už před nějakou dobou že jsi z Ostravy, je fajn najít tady parťáka z Čech ;)
Windows TEN - Totally Erroneous Numbering
Always watching you...

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Given how they covered Windows NT 5.0 (later Windows 2000), I'm really not at all surprised that they would also cover Whistler (later Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, obviously).

Boris
Donator

Post by Boris »

Interesting to see some unleaked builds in a magazine for a change instead of just screenshots (which could be fake anyway). If you have more of these articles I'd like to see them :)

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

I thought these builds were leaked... I've got lots of other articles, one even being from local "Microsoft News" magazine, but it takes some time to translate them so I keep on adding them one by one.
Always watching you...

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

NT5 aka 2000 finishes...
NT5 will be called Windows 2000 (November 1998)

Translation:
//No more Windows NT, here comes Windows 2000. Because that's the new name of operating systems we were calling Windows NT 5.0 till now and which still exists only in beta versions. There will be more editions as usual: Professional for workstations, Server for servers (which itself will come in 3 different editions). We hope that Microsoft makes it with Windows 2000 the next year and won't release them on year 2000 (but on the other side it will mean they don't have to deal with the 2000 problems). //
Windows 2000 Beta 3 - Build 2031 (June 1999)
Download PDF
As always, too long to translate, so if you are particulary interested in something then just ask away :)
ProTip: If you download the PDF, you can copy the images from it in higher resolution and even get the parts that are overlapped in the picture!

Windows 2000 RTM (February 2000)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Download PDF
Even though this article talks mainly about Windows 2000 RTM, on the bottom of the last page is a "column" called "How did the beta versions work?" This column mensions these builds with numbers and release dates:
Beta 3 - Build 2031 (Date unknown)
RC1 - Build ???? (Date unknown)
RC2 - Build 2128 (beginning of October 1999)
RC3 - Build 2183 (November 1999)

It also mentions that "RC2 is not sold anymore", which implies that it WAS actually sold at some point.

Alright, next time we will finally put 2000 to sleep with a czech localisation and go straight ahead to our next stop: Windows ME.
Last edited by jagotu on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always watching you...

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

These are all very interesting. Build 2138 is unleaked, unless if it's a typo of 2183 which we have... ;)

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Yes, it was my mistake. It's fixed now.
Always watching you...

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Windows Millenium Beta 1 - Build 2380 (February 2000)
Download PDF
This article also mentions that Windows ME should be avaliable at 26th of May this year. Full buildstring visible in the first screenshot is Microsoft Windows Millenium 4.90.2380.2 Beta 1.

Windows Millenium Beta 1 - Build 2419 IN CZECH! (June 2000)
ImageImage
Download PDF
OK, so this is a proof that build 2419 existed in Czech Language. Not only it is visible on the screenshots, but the article even says it in the first paragraph: "The Czech beta version, which I installed on my computer near the end of May proves it." The string on the desktop (sadly almost unreadable) says Windows Millenium 4.90.2419.

I think that's enough of beta stuff for today, tommorow we'll come to year 2001 with Windows XP on its way. Maybe I'll scan another article about Windows 2000 beta from local "Microsoft News" as a little bonus, sadly I wasn't able to identify the build, but I think it's Beta 2 (the fact that they posted the same screenshot twice doesn't help much...)
Always watching you...

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Nice, keep them comming... ;)

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Windows 2000 beta 2 (Spring 1999)
ImageImageImage
Download PDF
This is the article from Microsoft News I was talking about. It doesn't mention build number. The article calls it Windows 2000, even though in Beta 2 stage it was still called NT 5.0 (according to BA's wiki).

BONUS: Microsoft gives source code of Windows Server NT4.0 to ČVUT* (Spring 1999)
*ČVUT is a Czech university
That's all for today, maybe I'll take a short brake and post the next batch on Monday, but we'll see ;)
Always watching you...

Kobi

Post by Kobi »

I have never recognized this magazine as good-one. You changed my mind ....
Offtopic Comment
Taky zdravim :)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Well, seeing as it's a magazine directly from Microsoft, it could be possible that they have a late Beta 2 build, compiled few days/weeks after they changed the name to Windows 2000. Or the build still calls itself NT 5.0, but the magazine was published after they changed the name. Many possibilities ;)
Offtopic Comment
Nazdar z Ostravy! :)
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

The name change probably leaked prior to being applied to any actual builds...

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Name changes are often announced well in advance of any builds receiving branding.

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

I know you are more interested in Blue now, but I'll keep posting these as usual ;)
Windows XP beta 2 coming soon (February 2001)
Translation:
/// Are you experienced? Ready… steady… go! The second beta version of Windows XP should be out in the 28th of February, but only for a narrow range of testers so far. Final Windows are expected about the end of May. Even the new office won't have the year 2001 in its name, but will contain XP. "Experience" means new experiences. Grouches may identify XP as "eXPerts only", because a normal user won't utilize new features and even won't find many of them.
Windows XP beta 2 is out (April 2001)
Translation:
Windows XP second beta is among people and besides .NET technology also contains Internet Explorer in version 6. I don't know, Win2k hasn't yet found his supporters and Explorer 5.5 isn't on every windows machine, but still we are supposed to buy bigger hard drives and more powerful computers for their successors. ///
Windows Whistler Build why-is-that-picture-so-freakin'-lowres (May 2001)
Download PDF
No matter how hard I try I still can't make anything from it. It talks about some conference in Seattle where Microsoft introduced Office XP and Windows XP. Here is the original image (yes, its resolution is 141x113):
If I'll find this issue in higher quality (preferably on paper, so I can make a proper HQ scan), I'll be sure to upload it. I doubt anybody will make something out from this, but if you do, please share, as I always like to learn new things ;) Tommorow expect a loooong article about Whistler Build 2462
Always watching you...

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Yesterday I forgot to post this - sorry (Not that anyone noticed *hehe* :P ). So here comes
Whistler Build 2462 (May 2001)
Picture from the title page:
And the article itself:
ImageImageImage
Download PDF
Offtopic Comment
Anyone other finds the recycle bin with handles really weird? :D
What can you look forward to? Mainly build 2505 and some other stuff before we move to LongHorn era. I can't promise that I'll post them soon, though, because it seems I won't be around for the rest of this week.
Always watching you...

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Long time no see :)
Windows Whistler @ eXPo, New York; new beta coming soon (August 2001)
This article talks about a new build presented at Windows XP eXPo in New York, and in the end mentions that they should get a new beta soon.

Windows Whistler RC1 - Build 2505 (August 2001)
Download PDF

Next time we should get through XP RTM and one Service Pack beta and you can all say hello to the huge project that later became Vista - LongHorn!
The funny thing is that they write more about the delays of LongHorn than the actual features...
Always watching you...

jagotu

Re: Computer magazine (Czech) - Whistler, Longhorn...

Post by jagotu »

Windows XP SP1 Beta Build 1060 (July 2001)
Translation:
Many users haven't even finally decide whether they love or hate Windows XP, but yet the beta version of the first service pack Windows XP SP1 Beta Build 1060 showed up on the internet. You have to download about 120MB of data, so we recommend: don't even look for the pack and wait until we bring it on our CD. But this depends on Microsoft, too.
Bonus: Here's an article from their website (zive.cz belongs under Computer magazine) including two (now dysfunctional) links and a high-res screenshot:
http://www.zive.cz/bleskovky/windows-xp ... 4-a-107313

The screenshot itself:
Always watching you...

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Now you're talking long time :|
History of Windows (February 2003)
ImageImage
Download PDF
This article is from the days that Windows 98 was the most used operating system and WinXP was still a newborn baby. I collected all dates mentioned in this article (Note: some of they may be local):
Autumn 1981 - Interface Manager renamed to Microsoft Windows
Autumn 1983 - First public Microsoft Windows announcement
Before christmas 1985 - Windows 1.0 released
1987 - Windows 2.0 released
May 1990 - Windows 3.0 released
April 1992 - Windows 3.1 released
October 1992 - Windows for Workgroups 3.1 released as a free update from Microsoft's FTP
Autumn 1993 - Windows NT 3.1 released
September 1994 - Windows NT 3.5 released
August 1995 - Windows 95 released
August 1996 - Windows NT 4.0 released
Autumn 1996 - Windows CE 1.0 released
1998 - Windows CE 2.0 released
2000 - Windows CE 3.0 released
1998 - Windows 98 released (Who would've guessed :P)
2000 - Windows 2000 released (Another obvious one)
Autumn 2001 - Windows XP released
Near the end, they also mention LongHorn, which is still expected to have "SQL-based file system" (=WinFS) and to come in year 2005.

Next time (if I remember), we'll take a look at Longhorn Build 4008.main.030219-1933
Always watching you...

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

LOL @ the note on the botttom of the second page *hehe*
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Longhorn Build 4008 (March 2003)
ImageImage
Download PDF
Cover Image:
Table Of Contents Image:

Full buildstring visible in screenshots: 4008.main.030219-1933
If anybody wants, I have this issue on paper, so I can make higher quality scans.

Next time we will have... Well I don't know, it'll be a surprise ;)
Always watching you...

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

That's some pretty cool stuff! Would never have thought that a magazine included screenshots of longhorn builds
Offtopic Comment
チェコ語 わかりません
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Well, I kinda forgot about this topic, but now I'll try to make it more regular. Keeping one article at a time, I should be able to handle it for some time ;)
Microsoft postopned the release of Longhorn (October 2003)
Microsoft? More like DelaySoft...
Translation:
Microsoft postopned the release of Longhorn - a new operating system - to year 2006. In the coming years they won't even release a new Visual Studio or Office. It's a marketing move, which should convince users of older operating systems to switch to Windows XP. No matter how much you fry a snake, it won't become an eel.*

*a czech byword
See you next time ;)
Always watching you...

Pwned
Donator

Post by Pwned »

When it got to Longhorn stuff, I started to be interested. :P

Thanks!

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Second day and I already forgot... what a horrible person I am *hehe*
New Longhorn beta (November 2003)
Translation:
Are you looking forward to the new Windows? A Longhorn betaversion should be already avaliable when you are reading this article. However, it will be sold for a "symbolic" charge. On the other hand, looking at a system which will be released in two years could be interesting.
I know some of you don't find these articles so interesting, but I think they may help with chronologically sorting what happened in the Longhorn developement (soon news about cancelled WinFS will come). Next time, we will actually have a screenshot (one!), but from a build I don't know exactly and only estimated from leaked builds.

Thanks everyone for support, it's nice to see that somebody appreciates what I do ;)
Always watching you...