Installing a newer Media Player version in Windows 2000

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
MSUser2013
Donator

Installing a newer Media Player version in Windows 2000

Post by MSUser2013 »

I decided to port newer Windows Media Player Versions into to older windows versions (Windows 98/2000/Me), Here are my attempts

Windows Media Player 8 (Was only available for Windows XP at the time)

1. Install WMP7 and WMP7.1
2. Copy the WMP8 Files and DLLs from Windows XP RTM into Windows 2000 (Installing it doesn't work, It tells you it needs Windows XP to work but lets you install, but doesn't show the components list)
3. It *sort of* works

It has so many UI bugs, Which DLL is responsible for this?

However, it's somewhat decent in skin mode

Windows Media Player 10

As mentioned in this post, WMP10 RTM utilizes a function in Kernel32.DLL that's only in Windows XP SP1 or newer, There are workarounds to this as mentioned below, Once i get around to trying them, I'll post about it later
Last edited by MSUser2013 on Mon May 06, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

q3hardcore

Re: Installing WMP8 in Windows 2000

Post by q3hardcore »

Can't you just install WMP9 on Windows 2000?
---

pyrobisqit

Post by pyrobisqit »

Do you know Wine? There was kind of a movement in order to make older Windows version ran Windows programs which were only available for more recent editions. Wine is a layer used to run Windows games in Linux, from which ReactOS (which is a free Windows clone) has emerged.

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

pyrobisqit wrote:Do you know Wine? There was kind of a movement in order to make older Windows version ran Windows programs which were only available for more recent editions. Wine is a layer used to run Windows games in Linux, from which ReactOS (which is a free Windows clone) has emerged.
KernelEX was an unoffical SP for Windows 98/Me that does a similar thing

I also plan on porting WMP10 and 11 to Windows 2000 once WMP8 is finished, I could upload a copy of the WMP8 Files to mediafire if interested to run WMP8 in Windows 2000 or NT4 (with IE4), I know there are some DLLs inside System32 that WMP installs (wmpcore.dll for example), Which also need to be added for manually installing
EDIT: I decided to reset this project by simply installing the newest RC build of WMP8, Replacing some components (Skins and such) with newer versions (From Windows XP RTM's Media Player), As well as editing the About dialog so it says "Windows Media Player" instead of "Windows Media Player for Windows XP", So this would make as an "RTM" of WMP8 for Windows NT4/98 and Newer

dewaterfall

Post by dewaterfall »

MSUser2013 wrote:
pyrobisqit wrote:Do you know Wine? There was kind of a movement in order to make older Windows version ran Windows programs which were only available for more recent editions. Wine is a layer used to run Windows games in Linux, from which ReactOS (which is a free Windows clone) has emerged.
KernelEX was an unoffical SP for Windows 98/Me that does a similar thing

I also plan on porting WMP10 and 11 to Windows 2000 once WMP8 is finished, I could upload a copy of the WMP8 Files to mediafire if interested to run WMP8 in Windows 2000 or NT4 (with IE4), I know there are some DLLs inside System32 that WMP installs (wmpcore.dll for example), Which also need to be added for manually installing
EDIT: I decided to reset this project by simply installing the newest RC build of WMP8, Replacing some components (Skins and such) with newer versions (From Windows XP RTM's Media Player), As well as editing the About dialog so it says "Windows Media Player" instead of "Windows Media Player for Windows XP", So this would make as an "RTM" of WMP8 for Windows NT4/98 and Newer
If it is possible to, I can help you to port WMP 12 from Windows 7 into Windows 2000! ;) If it isn't possible to port WMP 12 into Windows 2000, what are the exact hurdles preventing it from being possible?

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

dewaterfall wrote:*snip*
If it is possible to, I can help you to port WMP 12 from Windows 7 into Windows 2000! ;) If it isn't possible to port WMP 12 into Windows 2000, what are the exact hurdles preventing it from being possible?
The thing is, WMP12 was only meant for Windows 7, It could be possible to port to Vista, But for XP or 2000, I doubt it's possible to port it, WMP11 is similar to WMP12, With only a few Differences, I could try porting WMP10 and 11 to Windows 2000

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

. . .
(NOTE : This is a critical situation where dots were needed)
Exact reasons to preventing it from being possible : Development of Windows.

LoneCrusader
Donator

Post by LoneCrusader »

MSUser2013 wrote:*snip*I could try porting WMP10 and 11 to Windows 2000
CaptainPeanut wrote:. . .
(NOTE : This is a critical situation where dots were needed)
Exact reasons to preventing it from being possible : Development of Windows.
Well... If WMP10 can be ported to Windows 98, then it certainly should be possible for Windows 2000.
As for the later versions, I have no idea, but there no reason not to try.

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

Well, I decided to try installing WMP10, By copying the files from the extracted MP10SETUP.EXE into the appropriate location, Then i installed GDI+ which is required for WMP10 to work, However, When i try to start it, I got the lovely "The procedure entry point GetUserGeoID could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" error message
Is there any workarounds to this error?

z180
Donator

Post by z180 »

You don't understand the shown message.
I assume NOPing function calls and editing PE imports is too difficult to for you.
Stephen Elop….I curse you, that after your death your soul will be forever trapped in the sourcecode of Windows and one day Microsoft will fall because of that virus code!

Zv45Beta
Donator

Post by Zv45Beta »

MSUser2013 wrote:Well, I decided to try installing WMP10, By copying the files from the extracted MP10SETUP.EXE into the appropriate location, Then i installed GDI+ which is required for WMP10 to work, However, When i try to start it, I got the lovely "The procedure entry point GetUserGeoID could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" error message
Outdated Kernel32.dll, i doubt you can fix this. Probably WMP10 uses entry points unavailable in older Windows.
Main computer: HP 820 G4 | i5-7500U | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB M.2 SATA SSD & 2TB 2.5" HDD | Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce
XP PC: ASUS P5QPL-AM | Xeon L5408 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 870 EVO SSD | ATi HD 6450 | XP SP4
9x PC: MSI MS-6368 v5 | Pentium III-S 1266 | 640MB PC133 | ATi 7000 PCI | 10GB HDD | WinMe
Other PCs: 2x EeePC 701 (1x spare, 1x XP SP3), HP 800 G2 DM (Win11 23H2), Wyse Cx0 (XP SP1a)
I collect Windows CE devices.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Have you tried porting Internet Explorer 7 to the earlier versions of Windows? I would personally be very interested in seeing this myself.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

MSUser2013 wrote:Well, I decided to try installing WMP10, By copying the files from the extracted MP10SETUP.EXE into the appropriate location, Then i installed GDI+ which is required for WMP10 to work, However, When i try to start it, I got the lovely "The procedure entry point GetUserGeoID could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" error message
Maybe it will work with the Unofficial Service Pack 5 for Windows 2000. It adds some new functions into tke Kernel32 library, as far as I remember from the MSFN forums ;)
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

I seriously doubt that any version of WMP meant for Vista and up would work on Windows 2000...

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Maybe it will work with the Unofficial Service Pack 5 for Windows 2000. It adds some new functions into tke Kernel32 library, as far as I remember from the MSFN forums ;)
I'll try that, I know WinPC said someone got WMP10 to work on Windows 2000 using KernelEx, Maybe I'll try that as well, It would be easier to use a beta version of WMP10 for this experiment
Zv45Beta wrote:Outdated Kernel32.dll, i doubt you can fix this. Probably WMP10 uses entry points unavailable in older Windows.
A beta version of WMP10 *might* be easier to get working than the RTM (which is what i tried with this experiment), And might not utilize those extra functions not available in Kernel32.DLL in Windows 2000, But still, As said above, Workarounds exist for this situation

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

MSUser2013 wrote:I'll try that, I know WinPC said someone got WMP10 to work on Windows 2000 using KernelEx, Maybe I'll try that as well, It would be easier to use a beta version of WMP10 for this experiment.
I'm not sure where you thought I said that, unless I already posted it and somehow forgot. I also don't remember saying such about Windows Media Player 10 either, unless I was accidentally referring to the version used in this topic by the wrong name.

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

WinPC wrote:I'm not sure where you thought I said that, unless I already posted it and somehow forgot. I also don't remember saying such about Windows Media Player 10 either, unless I was accidentally referring to the version used in this topic by the wrong name.
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 93#p330993
WinPC wrote:[As far as I know, someone here managed to get a newer version of Windows Media Player to work on Windows 2000 using KernelEx, even though KernelEx's functions are mostly already in Windows 2000 (this particular case was a notable exception, since KernelEx added the updated code that was apparently introduced with Windows XP, possibly with one of the Service Pack releases).
You didn't mentioned the version of the Media Player, But i just assume it was WMP10 considering the latest version officially supported for Windows 2000 is WMP9

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

MSUser2013 wrote:
WinPC wrote:I'm not sure where you thought I said that, unless I already posted it and somehow forgot. I also don't remember saying such about Windows Media Player 10 either, unless I was accidentally referring to the version used in this topic by the wrong name.
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 93#p330993
WinPC wrote:[As far as I know, someone here managed to get a newer version of Windows Media Player to work on Windows 2000 using KernelEx, even though KernelEx's functions are mostly already in Windows 2000 (this particular case was a notable exception, since KernelEx added the updated code that was apparently introduced with Windows XP, possibly with one of the Service Pack releases).
You didn't mentioned the version of the Media Player, But i just assume it was WMP10 considering the latest version officially supported for Windows 2000 is WMP9
Nope, I was referring strictly to this topic. Sorry for any confusion that it may have caused.