[TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
DeFacto

[TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g

Post by DeFacto »

This is a pretty simple solution, all you have to do is:

1. Have a working copy of build 73g installed in Virtual PC or some other hypervisor.
NOTE: Download this VHD if you're having issues installing this build. There is no password set.

2. Mount the VHD in Windows or use MS-DOS to replace C:\CHICAGO\CAB32.EXE with this one.
NOTE: Replace C:\CHICAGO with your installation directory.

3. Start the virtual machine and watch the magic. ;)

Thanks to Hounsell, the hidden menu and start button are now functional the way Microsoft probably wanted them to be.

Last edited by DeFacto on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Distractor

Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7

Post by The Distractor »

This looks more like playing with resources than anything else, which is why the other two buttons are still there.

EDIT: having checked, it seems that there is no code that loads the start menu resources in 73g's cab32.exe..

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

The Distractor wrote:This looks more like playing with resources than anything else, which is why the other two buttons are still there.

EDIT: having checked, it seems that there is no code that loads the start menu resources in 73g's cab32.exe..
Indeed. I replaced the default menu for the Windows button with this one, which is unused and the bitmap. The buttons can't be removed according to my knowledge, unless if you put 81's CAB32.exe in 73g, but that would void the purpose of the hidden menu.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

So basically, it was being developed this early, but it was simply never enabled (as your post seems to imply), or was it just a fan-made hack?

starcraft

Post by starcraft »

DeFacto wrote:This is a pretty simple solution, all you have to do is:

1. Have a working copy of build 73g installed in Virtual PC or some other hypervisor.
NOTE: Download this VHD if you're having issues installing this build. There is no password set.

2. Mount the VHD or use MS-DOS to replace C:\CHICAGO\CAB32.EXE with this one.
NOTE: Replace C:\CHICAGO with your installation directory. If you mounted the VHD in Windows 7, make sure to reboot first before starting the VM to properly eject the VHD.

It's not the most beautifull thing, as I'm yet to find a way to remove the other two buttons, but at least you get the new menu later seen in build 81. :)

As i have never used chicago and never plan to i may as well ask: what are the "st" and "art" buttons for?
Mitt Romney wrote:Hope is just an illusion, Death is the only certainty

mycomputerhelp

Post by mycomputerhelp »

starcraft wrote:
DeFacto wrote:This is a pretty simple solution, all you have to do is:

2. Mount the VHD or use MS-DOS to replace C:\CHICAGO\CAB32.EXE with this one.
NOTE: Replace C:\CHICAGO with your installation directory. If you mounted the VHD in Windows 7, make sure to reboot first before starting the VM to properly eject the VHD.

It's not the most beautifull thing, as I'm yet to find a way to remove the other two buttons, but at least you get the new menu later seen in build 81. :)

As i have never used chicago and never plan to i may as well ask: what are the "st" and "art" buttons for?
St and art are caused by the texture loaded for the modded start menu. The St and art buttons you see are there as they were in the original, unmodded build without the odd textures.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

starcraft wrote:As i have never used chicago and never plan to i may as well ask: what are the "st" and "art" buttons for?
They're the old taskbar buttons leftovers.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

WinPC wrote:So basically, it was being developed this early, but it was simply never enabled (as your post seems to imply), or was it just a fan-made hack?
Yes, it was there but not enabled/used. Wack0/Distractor found it recently and I took a look, attempted to enable it with reshacking and these are the results. Every part of this menu is already included in the original CAB32, I just replaced the old menu and image with the hidden ones. The "St" and "art" are part of the image (same as the one used in build 81), but because there's no way to remove those two buttons, the image splits accross all three, causing this not-so-eye-friendly glitch. Originally, there were three buttons for three sepparate menus (Windows, search and help). The hidden menu is only used with the first button, so when I replaced the original menu, the other two buttons became obsolete.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Will you make a guide how to mod the Cab32 executable so we will be able to mod it ourself?

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Just use Resource Hacker and play around with the menus... ;)

Hounsell is supposedly working on a fix to remove the two useless buttons (which were unintentionally made useless by me).

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Well, I think I got it:
Rename these ordinal numbers:
203 -> 204
204 -> 203
142 -> 143
143 -> 142
...and enjoy!

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

DeFacto wrote:Hounsell is supposedly working on a fix to remove the two useless buttons (which were unintentionally made useless by me).
k, done.

Download CAB32.EXE here

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Works very well hounsell, but how did you do it? :)

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

nice one hounsell, now it looks exactly like 81.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

TheCollector1988 wrote:nice one hounsell, now it looks exactly like 81.
Not quite. Some menu items are disabled/not implemented yet and the start button image is slightly different. But otherwise it's very simmilar... ;)

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

DeFacto wrote:Works very well hounsell, but how did you do it? :)
Time + IDA + Hex Editor.

Essentially, changes the following things:
  • Only make one button out of the bitmap provided for the toolbar instead of three.
  • Change resource it pulls the bitmap from
  • Change size of the button from default to 57x16
  • Change resource it pulls the menu from.

flicktrace75

Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g

Post by flicktrace75 »

This is basically just a sticker on 73g's start buttons. If you want a Start menu that actually works, use a newer Chicago beta.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

flicktrace75 wrote:This is basically just a sticker on 73g's start buttons. If you want a Start menu that actually works, use a newer Chicago beta.
No, if you would actually read the topic, you would see that hounsell did some hex editing to remove the other two buttons and menus. So it's not just a sticker, it's an actual "hack"/fix/whatever to use the new start button and menu, which were otherwise first available by default in build 81.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Most likely, it was already added in but made only available to certain people at Microsoft and possibly several other companies also, since they likely had it disabled for the PDC 1993 release.

Here is another screenshot, this time, of what appears to be a similar build (extracted directly from the Chicago Beta 1 Reviewer's Guide, meaning that it obviously came directly from Microsoft itself):

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

I'm guessing that's already in the 8X range...

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

DeFacto wrote:I'm guessing that's already in the 8X range...
It would still have to be earlier than Build 81, though, since Build 81 had the new Close, Minimize, and Maximize/Restore buttons.

Most likely, I would say that this build is either Build 78 or Build 79, or Build 80 at the absolute latest.

LangsamSpieler

Post by LangsamSpieler »

I will say, it's maybe the real Chicago 78 or it's a painted Chicago 73 with the new Startmenu.
416175:38 BetaArchive Registration
416176:06 First BetaArchive Post
4251811:32 Archive Access Granted

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

WinPC wrote:Most likely, it was already added in but made only available to certain people at Microsoft and possibly several other companies also, since they likely had it disabled for the PDC 1993 release.

Here is another screenshot, this time, of what appears to be a similar build (extracted directly from the Chicago Beta 1 Reviewer's Guide, meaning that it obviously came directly from Microsoft itself):
Looks rather like a mockup to me.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

LangsamSpieler wrote:I will say, it's maybe the real Chicago 78 or it's a painted Chicago 73 with the new Startmenu.
Not sure where you pulled 78 from, since all this is clearly labeled as 73g.
AlphaBeta wrote:Looks rather like a mockup to me.
Probably is, given the odd borders on the taskbar and all.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

LangsamSpieler

Post by LangsamSpieler »

Look this Guys:
416175:38 BetaArchive Registration
416176:06 First BetaArchive Post
4251811:32 Archive Access Granted