Windows 3.1 builds

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
DeFacto

Windows 3.1 builds

Post by DeFacto »

In this magazine article from a serbian computer magazine called "Računari" (=Computers) from December '91 I found a reference to Windows 3.1 build 34f. We have build 34e, but the two are probably very simmilar.... Still, it's an interesting find. :)

The article also says it comes on 5 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disks and is labeled as "Beta Release 1".
Last edited by DeFacto on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Re: Windows 3.1 build 34f

Post by TheCollector1988 »

so, if 34f is indeed "beta release 1", then build 34e would be the same.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Wasn't build 34 always considered a Beta 1?

But anyway, it's kinda logical that since there are 34e and 34f, that there were also from a-d and possibly from f onwards...
Last edited by DeFacto on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MbccompanyX

Post by MbccompanyX »

We need to find the floppy, it can be a good piece for beta collectors

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

MbccompanyX wrote:We need to find the floppy, it can be a good piece for beta collectors
Almost a mission impossible. AFAIK this is the first confirmation of the build at all, so I don't think anyone still has it... :(

TheCollector1988
Donator

DeFacto wrote:
MbccompanyX wrote:We need to find the floppy, it can be a good piece for beta collectors
Almost a mission impossible. AFAIK this is the first confirmation of the build at all, so I don't think anyone still has it... :(
yeah, it's like getting NT 3.2 build 1.175.1 outside Microsoft.

MbccompanyX

Post by MbccompanyX »

DeFacto wrote:
mission impossible for olthers, we need only find that floppy on ebay or olther site that sell things

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

The only people who had it were the journalist at the said magazine. Unfortunately, this magazine is long dead, so finding the authors would be just as hard as finding the build itself.

EDIT: @MbccompanyX Good luck with that. Also, here's another page talking about a beta build of Windows 3.1 (no exact build number stated but probably 34f) with some screenshots.

MbccompanyX

Post by MbccompanyX »

DeFacto wrote:The only people who had it were the journalist at the said magazine. Unfortunately, this magazine is long dead, so finding the authors would be just as hard as finding the build itself.

EDIT: @MbccompanyX Good luck with that. Also, here's another page talking about a beta build of Windows 3.1 (no exact build number stated but probably 34f) with some screenshots.
only one copy of the floppy? i think that exist more of 20 copies of that floppy

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

I was talking about people outside MS that we know of for sure... Obviously there were other testers, but can't really find them if you don't know who they were, don't you think?

MbccompanyX

Post by MbccompanyX »

DeFacto wrote:I was talking about people outside MS that we know of for sure... Obviously there were other testers, but can't really find them if you don't know who they were, don't you think?
we had only a pierce of paper, that isn't from america. Maybe the 34f was a world-wide beta not only a simple beta

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

MbccompanyX wrote:
DeFacto wrote:I was talking about people outside MS that we know of for sure... Obviously there were other testers, but can't really find them if you don't know who they were, don't you think?
we had only a pierce of paper, that isn't from america. Maybe the 34f was a world-wide beta not only a simple beta
You certainly don't know the difficulty of getting an unleaked build.

Sgt. Goodal
Permanently Banned

Post by Sgt. Goodal »

ah windows 3.1 back when windows was a decent os :)

i hope this build leaks soon :D
Hello.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

As said, that will hardly ever happend due to obvious reasons.

Creative3DMM

Post by Creative3DMM »

Just wondering for curiosity...are there any Rare or LOST versions of Windows 3.1?

What i mean with LOST: Is Windows 3.1 versions that are gone forever and that will never be seen again in this existence.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Uhm... no, there's plenty of copies both online and in RL, for both RTM and beta builds. :? So it's definetly not lost, but there are several rare editions (mostly OEM) and builds (such as this one).

TheCollector1988
Donator

DeFacto wrote:Uhm... no, there's plenty of copies both online and in RL, for both RTM and beta builds. :? So it's definetly not lost, but there are several rare editions (mostly OEM) and builds (such as this one).
including some mentioned ones, like 43e, 70 etc. (I believe 70 was mentioned somewhere but I don't remember where)

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

68 (which is leaked), 70 and 71 are mentioned in a French MS KB article regarding some MS Office programs and OLE... These definetly exist because the article clearly states that they recieved error reports about the before mentioned problem from testers using beta version 3.1.068, 3.1.070 and 3.1.071.

BTW, that same magazine (and some others) stated several times that there were over 7000 beta builds of MS-DOS 5.0... :o

marxo

Post by marxo »

The magazine isn't dead, it's part of "Svet kompjutera" (World of Computers) www.sk.rs. Maybe you could contact someone there and ask. I've also seen a professor showing NT4 SP7 in a book published by PMF (University of Mathematics and Natural science) , I think it was Build 1384 or Build 1389. The book wasn't mine so I couldn't scan it, but if anyone had it, the guys from Svet Kompjutera would.
May our software be open-source, and our women closed-source.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Thanks for the info... Maybe I'll contact them, but I highly doubt they still have something from 20+ years ago. :/

Creative3DMM

Post by Creative3DMM »

DeFacto wrote:Uhm... no, there's plenty of copies both online and in RL, for both RTM and beta builds. :? So it's definetly not lost, but there are several rare editions (mostly OEM) and builds (such as this one).
Alright, well that's all i needed!

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

I may aswell expand this topic onto other windows builds described in said magazines... There's a 5 page article about Chicago build 58s from January 1994 with wonderfull screenshots. :) The build is definetly 58s because a screenshot from page 2 says so. :P

Most of you probably don't understand serbian, so the text is of little help to you (and it would take some time to translate it), but the screenshots are indeed very nice and good quality.

ImageImageImageImageImage

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

It would have already been outdated, though, by the time that that article was written. Either that, or it somehow got published late, because by that point, Microsoft had already compiled and released Build 73g, not to mention that it was the December 1993 PDC (Professional Developers Conference) release, as far as I know.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Presumably, they didn't get instant access to every build rightaway... ;) In some other magazine, they reivewed build 189 (itself from September 1994) as late as in February 1995, so I suppose you get the point. And here's the scan of that article:

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

WinPC wrote:It would have already been outdated, though, by the time that that article was written. Either that, or it somehow got published late, because by that point, Microsoft had already compiled and released Build 73g, not to mention that it was the December 1993 PDC (Professional Developers Conference) release, as far as I know.
58s was the Pre-Release (or Preliminary, not sure which) Developer's Kit (the PDK).
73g was PDK2.