UnixWare 7.1.4 download?

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
anapplegeek

UnixWare 7.1.4 download?

Post by anapplegeek »

Is this the UnixWare OS cd: http://www.sco.com/support/update/downl ... hp?rid=346 ?

How comes it is available for download online? Isn't it proprietary?

PeterPanPirate

Re: UnixWare 7.1.4 download?

Post by PeterPanPirate »

anapplegeek wrote:Is this the UnixWare OS cd: http://www.sco.com/support/update/downl ... hp?rid=346 ?

How comes it is available for download online? Isn't it proprietary?
If I remember correctly Unix is a copyright of SCO. And your link takes us to SCO.com. So if the copyright holder allow you to download thing from his website, it must mean that that they know about it :D

Also it's just the first CD not the whole OS, as the whole OS is about 3 or 4 CD's
I'm a spider

bckf

Post by bckf »

Proprietary doesn't mean it can't be free or available for download.
In this case, UnixWare is NOT free and requires a license by SCO to be installed (you're prompted to type a license key).
It's like Windows 7: finding an ISO is easy, just because it's not the product they're selling.
They're selling you a license, in the form of a key.

Uh, just to be clear, SCO does NOT hold any UNIX copyright or patent.
Don't feed the patent troll.
They hold, of course, the copyright for their product UnixWare, that is just one of many Unix operating systems.

anapplegeek

Post by anapplegeek »

I am currently installing OpenServer in VirtualBox with Evaluation license. Wish their license(s) wasn't so expensive.

bckf

Post by bckf »

I've installed the UnixWare 7.1.1 in the abandonware section of the BA FTP.
It's pretty cool and license keys for it can be easily found with a Google search.

anapplegeek

Post by anapplegeek »

bckf wrote:I've installed the UnixWare 7.1.1 in the abandonware section of the BA FTP.
It's pretty cool and license keys for it can be easily found with a Google search.
I don't believe it is morally and ethically correct to use keys from the internet. It is like piracy (which I hate).
However, if there is someone selling/trading their license, I would be happy to save some money and buy it (if it is not some crazy price)
I would also like to try IRIX and other UNIX OSs, but I couldn't find a way to get it for free (and legally).
But I think I will contact the company that acquired SCO if they still have free hobbyist licenses. :)

anapplegeek

Post by anapplegeek »

Here are some SCO OpenServer screenies:

I will soon post more (and from UnixWare too) in the August 2012 screenshots thread

bckf

Post by bckf »

anapplegeek wrote:
bckf wrote:I've installed the UnixWare 7.1.1 in the abandonware section of the BA FTP.
I don't believe it is morally and ethically correct to use keys from the internet. It is like piracy (which I hate).
However, if there is someone selling/trading their license, I would be happy to save some money and buy it (if it is not some crazy price)
I would also like to try IRIX and other UNIX OSs, but I couldn't find a way to get it for free (and legally).
But I think I will contact the company that acquired SCO if they still have free hobbyist licenses. :)
I'm also against piracy, but let me explain the point.
UnixWare 7.1.1 is outdated and unsupported.
I couldn't buy it even if I wanted to.
It's not nice to "steal" the software, but they don't care about it... and I do it just to increase my knowledge... come on, it's sort of a fair use.
Please note that also BetaArchive community is against piracy, but not against abandonware.

Anyway, it's not important.
Let's keep talk about Unix. ;)
Keep in mind that most of the Unix systems of the '90s were tied to the proprietary hardware of their respective vendors.
That is, you can't run them anyway in your x86 PC (these architectures are often hard to emulate too, with some exception).
This could be good news for you, because you'll need to buy an used workstation in order to try those systems (so it's legal).
Take a look on Bay, they're usually not so expensive, and if you get the hardware too you may be willing to pay a little more.

anapplegeek

Post by anapplegeek »

bckf wrote:
anapplegeek wrote:
I'm also against piracy, but let me explain the point.
UnixWare 7.1.1 is outdated and unsupported.
I couldn't buy it even if I wanted to.
It's not nice to "steal" the software, but they don't care about it... and I do it just to increase my knowledge... come on, it's sort of a fair use.
Please note that also BetaArchive community is against piracy, but not against abandonware.

Anyway, it's not important.
Let's keep talk about Unix. ;)
Keep in mind that most of the Unix systems of the '90s were tied to the proprietary hardware of their respective vendors.
That is, you can't run them anyway in your x86 PC (these architectures are often hard to emulate too, with some exception).
This could be good news for you, because you'll need to buy an used workstation in order to try those systems (so it's legal).
Take a look on Bay, they're usually not so expensive, and if you get the hardware too you may be willing to pay a little more.
Well, I still think that stealing is a sin, and I won't do it, but I am still positive about hobbyist licensing, and I believe that there are still some companies who would gladly give hobbyist licenses away, so my hope is in that.

Actually, as a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, I should stay faithful to God to provide me all my needs and desires of my heart as long as it is not contrary to His will (Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart - Psalm 37:4). And I also believe that my talent about computers is a gift from God, one which should be wisely used.

In meanwhile, I also got a OpenVMS hobbyist license, and will be emulating it. I am just waiting to get a media kit download, and I will install it as soon as possible.

I have also downloaded UnixWare, and installed it using evalution license (for 60 days), and it looks very cool. It makes me want to install it on real hardware and have it in dual boot with Arch Linux. But I have also contacted with a SCO Unix reseller from UK if they can help me get a hobbyist license, because for some reason I couldn't send an e-mail to UnXis.

This thread can be closed, as I will post another one for discussion of the UnixWare operating system itself, where I will also post some screenshots from my virtual machine.

bckf

Post by bckf »

Yeah, UnixWare is good.
I was going to suggest you OpenVMS, the only operating system I know is available with an hobbist license.
It's not Unix, but it's a nice OS.
But still holds the point of the difficulty of VSM-compatible architectures emulation.
As far as I know, there's no effective Alpha emulator for Linux or other OSes.
There' are a few good ones for Windows, however.
So if you want to run it on Linux, you should stick to the VAX version, that can be run on SIMH.

wbyte
Donator

Post by wbyte »

Actually Stromasys provides VAX/Alpha free emulators.
The Alpha emulators can be run on Linux.

Code: Select all

SYSTEM V/68 Release 3.0  Version 1-Rev_A  M68020
sysV68
Copyright (c) 1984 AT&T
Copyright (c) 1985 Motorola, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

orsg

Post by orsg »

anapplegeek wrote:Well, I still think that stealing is a sin
I don't care if it's a sin or not, but taking stuff away from others is definately unethical and in general illegal.
Copying software, however, does not take it away from the other side. There is absolutely no difference for him if you copy it or don't do anything (because you cannot afford a license, ...), so at least from an ethical point of view, I don't see much of a problem here.
anapplegeek wrote:I've installed the UnixWare 7.1.1 in the abandonware section of the BA FTP.
Most proprietary Unixes only run on the vendor's own hardware anyway, so it's not common to have some activation mechanism. (The only larger company I know was DEC with VMS and it's Unix-line).
More specificly, the general consesus in nekochan is, that you are actually legally entitled to run IRIX if you own an SGI box.

bckf

Post by bckf »

wbyte wrote:Actually Stromasys provides VAX/Alpha free emulators.
The Alpha emulators can be run on Linux.
Good to know, I've been searching this for a while.
I'll try it soon.

deref

Post by deref »

Every so often SCO "respins" the media to support new hardware, or at least did when the OS was supported. They make these discs available publicly on their ftp. Further on the topic of piracy of media discs, Caldera made all of the OpenServer 5.0.x and 6.0 and UnixWare 7.x.x free for public download from their website and even had a hobbyist program (as previously mentioned in the thread). I have purchased, at the time current, SCO media with used but active license files. Upon contacting SCO, they said they didn't care how the media was obtained, the licenses are tied to the registering entity and non-transferable. Long story short, bought a license.

To rehash:

SCO, especially after the Caldera buyout, did not care about copying ISO images of their media.
They did however care about copying licenses and the licenses were non-transferable.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Are these ISO-files still available?
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Gligar13

Post by Gligar13 »

http://www.sco.com/support/download.html
Found their site, though I haven't checked any images to be sure they aren't just patches because tbh, I'm not that interested in Unixware (I already have IRIX :P)

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Seems there are no more any full Unixware ISOs available, just patches and additional software.

bckf

Post by bckf »

If you scroll down through the downloads for UnixWare you can see the last entry is the installation ISO link...

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Yes, but that's just one ISO, out of several in a set.

deref

Post by deref »

I have unopened media packs for some random releases of the 7.0.X and 7.1.X. The 7.1.4 media I have is one > 4.3GB DVD.

Onyx_RE2

Post by Onyx_RE2 »

Hi everyone,
You can install using just the first disc.
I have an original CD set of Unixware 7.1.4 and these are the discs it came with:

Base Operating System CD
Base Operating System/Upgrade CD
Optional Services CD
OpenServer Kernel Personaility (OKP) CD
UnixWare and OpenServer Development Kit CD
SCOx Web Services Substrate
Ericom Software PowerTerm Series

You need licenses otherwise it will run in a time-demo mode.
There are also pre-configured VMWare images available for download from the SCO FTP/website

saq

Post by saq »

I doubt you'll get a hobbyist license from SCO or successors in interest. They had them back in the late '90s when they were first trying to leverage the Novell acquisition and "System V Release 5" (remember that little marketing maneuver?) For the past 10+ years they've seemed to be a bit more stagnant, focused on extracting as much as possible from their current customer base. As for UnXis... well, it's been 2 years and they haven't even bothered to create a Wikipedia page or update all of their promotional material yet.

Go ahead and use the trial version. It's in there, so it's at least semi-approved, and my guess is that you'll get bored with UnixWare pretty quick - it's a fairly standard V.4, and you can get those elsewhere no problem.

No telling how much of this is residual bad taste from SCO's behavior.

cleeve555

Post by cleeve555 »

The SCO Unixware 7.1.4 download still works from this page of the SCO website:

http://www.sco.com/support/update/downl ... d=1&prid=6

The UnixWare-7.1.4-June2008 ISO image is free to download, and it can be run as a 90 day evaluation copy without the license key.
It works in Virtualbox, which I am running on Windoze 10.

sunborn

Post by sunborn »

Talk about a necro thread...

I recently inquired about a perpetual license for hobbyist or something similar, I wanted their 7.1.4 vmware version. They don't have one and the normal version is about 4k$. In the end, I think their OpenServer 6 is a much better product anyway.