Windows Classic theme error in XP?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
michel3

Windows Classic theme error in XP?

Post by michel3 »

OK, so I'm obviously still using XP. :P Recently when I select the "Windows Classic" theme it looks like this:

However, when I go to the Appearance tab and select Windows Standard or Classic or any other color scheme, things go back to normal. Another problem have is that when I try to switch to Windows XP's default (Luna) theme, the wallpaper doesn't change back to Bliss, but always stays the same as the current one in use.

Have any of you ever experienced such problems?
I tried looking for the alternative Windows Classic theme in XP, but found nothing. IMO, I think it looks quite cool, but I wonder if it's a real theme? The taskbar, the title bar, and the caption buttons look larger and the Start menu is white.

linuxlove
Donator

Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?

Post by linuxlove »

This happens when the theme engine is broken.
Goodbye.

Zv45Beta
Donator

Post by Zv45Beta »

Go to services.msc and look is the Themes service enabled.
Main computer: HP 820 G4 | i5-7500U | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB M.2 SATA SSD & 2TB 2.5" HDD | Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce
XP PC: ASUS P5QPL-AM | Xeon L5408 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 870 EVO SSD | ATi HD 6450 | XP SP4
9x PC: MSI MS-6368 v5 | Pentium III-S 1266 | 640MB PC133 | ATi 7000 PCI | 10GB HDD | WinMe
Other PCs: 2x EeePC 701 (1x spare, 1x XP SP3), HP 800 G2 DM (Win11 23H2), Wyse Cx0 (XP SP1a)
I collect Windows CE devices.

michel3

Post by michel3 »

My Themes service is enabled; I think it's caused by the uxtheme patch I applied. I'm going to revert the changes.

Funny thing is I find that faux-Windows Classic theme quite good looking (it's sure looks fresher than the standard classic theme). Wish there was a way to create a custom theme from it. ;)

beanboy89

Post by beanboy89 »

michel3 wrote:Wish there was a way to create a custom theme from it. ;)
Display Properties > Themes > Save As.

michel3

Post by michel3 »

linuxlove wrote:This happens when the theme engine is broken.
I tried fixing it with sfc / scannow, but it's still the same. 8-)

Than

Post by Than »

Try http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/62643 ... xthemedll/ or http://www.ehow.com/how_7195936_restore ... ll-xp.html :). Found this using Google to 'restore uxtheme.dll windows xp'.

The second website speaks about registering the DLL; did you try that?

Jbrenn41140

Post by Jbrenn41140 »

Looks like the themes service isn't running,when i disable unnecessary services to speed up games the desktop goes like this.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

That is the Luna theme when the Themes service is turned off. Try deleting the Luna resources.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

michel3

Post by michel3 »

Than wrote:Try http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/62643 ... xthemedll/ or http://www.ehow.com/how_7195936_restore ... ll-xp.html :). Found this using Google to 'restore uxtheme.dll windows xp'.

The second website speaks about registering the DLL; did you try that?
Hi, there! The file is already restored and I still get that and the wallpaper doesn't change to Bliss when applying the standard XP Luna Blue theme.

I did try to register the DLL and I get a pop up entitled "RegSrv32" that reads:

"C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

This file cannot be registered."

MiaFan2010

Post by MiaFan2010 »

michel3 wrote:OK, so I'm obviously still using XP. :P Recently when I select the "Windows Classic" theme it looks like this:

However, when I go to the Appearance tab and select Windows Standard or Classic or any other color scheme, things go back to normal. Another problem have is that when I try to switch to Windows XP's default (Luna) theme, the wallpaper doesn't change back to Bliss, but always stays the same as the current one in use.

Have any of you ever experienced such problems?
I tried looking for the alternative Windows Classic theme in XP, but found nothing. IMO, I think it looks quite cool, but I wonder if it's a real theme? The taskbar, the title bar, and the caption buttons look larger and the Start menu is white.
I have no problems on my XP Computer, but reinstall your Windows XP and see what happens!
KatieCadet2012

98fan

Post by 98fan »

Something like that happens on a computer I have with XP SP2 installed on it. In my case the taskbar reverts from classic to blue with the green start button all on its own. I keep changing it back and it will be good for two, three or four boots before it happens again.

I can't be bothered doing a reinstall at this point.