BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 32d, 4h, 39m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5823MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:23 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 98 and Vista; OS X
OK, so I'm obviously still using XP. :P Recently when I select the "Windows Classic" theme it looks like this:

However, when I go to the Appearance tab and select Windows Standard or Classic or any other color scheme, things go back to normal. Another problem have is that when I try to switch to Windows XP's default (Luna) theme, the wallpaper doesn't change back to Bliss, but always stays the same as the current one in use.

Have any of you ever experienced such problems?
I tried looking for the alternative Windows Classic theme in XP, but found nothing. IMO, I think it looks quite cool, but I wonder if it's a real theme? The taskbar, the title bar, and the caption buttons look larger and the Start menu is white.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:27 pm 
Donator

This happens when the theme engine is broken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Go to services.msc and look is the Themes service enabled.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:44 pm 

Favourite OS
My Themes service is enabled; I think it's caused by the uxtheme patch I applied. I'm going to revert the changes.

Funny thing is I find that faux-Windows Classic theme quite good looking (it's sure looks fresher than the standard classic theme). Wish there was a way to create a custom theme from it. ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 6.2
michel3 wrote:
Wish there was a way to create a custom theme from it. ;)

Display Properties > Themes > Save As.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:15 pm 

Favourite OS
linuxlove wrote:
This happens when the theme engine is broken.

I tried fixing it with sfc / scannow, but it's still the same. 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:54 pm 

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22 + WfW3.11
Try http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/62643 ... xthemedll/ or http://www.ehow.com/how_7195936_restore ... ll-xp.html :). Found this using Google to 'restore uxtheme.dll windows xp'.

The second website speaks about registering the DLL; did you try that?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista X64 SP2
Looks like the themes service isn't running,when i disable unnecessary services to speed up games the desktop goes like this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
That is the Luna theme when the Themes service is turned off. Try deleting the Luna resources.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:57 pm 

Favourite OS
Than wrote:
Try http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/62643 ... xthemedll/ or http://www.ehow.com/how_7195936_restore ... ll-xp.html :). Found this using Google to 'restore uxtheme.dll windows xp'.

The second website speaks about registering the DLL; did you try that?

Hi, there! The file is already restored and I still get that and the wallpaper doesn't change to Bliss when applying the standard XP Luna Blue theme.

I did try to register the DLL and I get a pop up entitled "RegSrv32" that reads:

"C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

This file cannot be registered."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
73g,468,950,1111,1216,1998,2222
michel3 wrote:
OK, so I'm obviously still using XP. :P Recently when I select the "Windows Classic" theme it looks like this:

However, when I go to the Appearance tab and select Windows Standard or Classic or any other color scheme, things go back to normal. Another problem have is that when I try to switch to Windows XP's default (Luna) theme, the wallpaper doesn't change back to Bliss, but always stays the same as the current one in use.

Have any of you ever experienced such problems?
I tried looking for the alternative Windows Classic theme in XP, but found nothing. IMO, I think it looks quite cool, but I wonder if it's a real theme? The taskbar, the title bar, and the caption buttons look larger and the Start menu is white.

I have no problems on my XP Computer, but reinstall your Windows XP and see what happens!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Classic theme error in XP?        Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98SE and 2000
Something like that happens on a computer I have with XP SP2 installed on it. In my case the taskbar reverts from classic to blue with the green start button all on its own. I keep changing it back and it will be good for two, three or four boots before it happens again.

I can't be bothered doing a reinstall at this point.

Top  Profile