[REQUEST] MS-DOS 7.1 Add-ons disk

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
DeFacto

[REQUEST] MS-DOS 7.1 Add-ons disk

Post by DeFacto »

We have MS-DOS 7.1 floppy version on the FTP, but only the installation disks - the add-ons disk is missing. I need it so if someone has it please share. ;)

The Distractor

Re: [REQUEST] MS-DOS 7.1 Add-ons disk

Post by The Distractor »

i have it somewhere.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Could you please upload it somewhere?

LoneCrusader
Donator

Post by LoneCrusader »

Don't think I've ever heard of this disk, but it sounds interesting.

For the record here is a link to the MS-DOS 6.22 Supplemental Disk, I don't know if this has been included somewhere on the FTP or not.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/117600
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... sup622.exe

PlyrStar93

Post by PlyrStar93 »

I have also been looking for this add-on disk, as noticed an option of "install add-ons" when installing MS-DOS 7.1, though the CD version includes the content of add-ons. So I think the add-on disk(s?) should be somewhere else but just could not find.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

LoneCrusader wrote:Don't think I've ever heard of this disk, but it sounds interesting.

For the record here is a link to the MS-DOS 6.22 Supplemental Disk, I don't know if this has been included somewhere on the FTP or not.
During the installation, you are asked if you want to install "Add-ons" (checkdsk, smartdrv, antivirus, ...), which are located on the disc I'm looking for. You can skip the add-ons if you want, but I'd like to test them out myself... I found the complete disk set on the web some time ago but lost the link. Now all I find are ISO images of questionable quality... :(

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

Correction: I used to have it, but I can't find it any more :/

It contained a customised Windows 3.x, and a bare minimum Windows 98 installation.

I however do have at least two copies of the MS-DOS 7.1 installation ISO, which includes many addons..
...and somewhere I have a burnt CD of MS-DOS 7.1 with the addons that I mentioned above, if I remember correctly.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

DeFacto wrote:We have MS-DOS 7.1 floppy version on the FTP, but only the installation disks - the add-ons disk is missing. I need it so if someone has it please share. ;)
Considering that neither MS-DOS 7.0 or 7.1 was officially ever released as a standalone product I doubt there is a supplementary disk for them. I don't even think we should have 7.1 on the FTP as it's not official and just a mere custom compilation put together into a working installer.
LoneCrusader wrote:Don't think I've ever heard of this disk, but it sounds interesting.

It's already included in the abandonware set.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Zv45Beta
Donator

Post by Zv45Beta »

Isn't that Disk 2?
Main computer: HP 820 G4 | i5-7500U | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB M.2 SATA SSD & 2TB 2.5" HDD | Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce
XP PC: ASUS P5QPL-AM | Xeon L5408 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 870 EVO SSD | ATi HD 6450 | XP SP4
9x PC: MSI MS-6368 v5 | Pentium III-S 1266 | 640MB PC133 | ATi 7000 PCI | 10GB HDD | WinMe
Other PCs: 2x EeePC 701 (1x spare, 1x XP SP3), HP 800 G2 DM (Win11 23H2), Wyse Cx0 (XP SP1a)
I collect Windows CE devices.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

The version of DOS referred to here is Weniger's MS-DOS 7.1.

This is not an extract of ms-dos from Windows 98 or 98se. It has some files from 98fe (build 1999), with a good deal of alternate files. It's more an implementation of a modern DOS (for recent computers) then a heritage DOS.

The russian project of MS-DOS 8.0 is far more authentic as this goes. It actually uses microsoft-only software, but adds a number of diverse utilities from different places. Not-withstanding, it looks like something that MSFT could had released.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

os2fan2 wrote:The version of DOS referred to here is Weniger's MS-DOS 7.1.

This is not an extract of ms-dos from Windows 98 or 98se. It has some files from 98fe (build 1999), with a good deal of alternate files. It's more an implementation of a modern DOS (for recent computers) then a heritage DOS.

The russian project of MS-DOS 8.0 is far more authentic as this goes. It actually uses microsoft-only software, but adds a number of diverse utilities from different places. Not-withstanding, it looks like something that MSFT could had released.
Not alternate, they're just from the Simplified Chinese version of Windows 98 as opposed to the English version (and yes the files there are mostly in English, just with different file sizes).
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I collect a large number of DOS versions, mostly english, although i do keep german and french sets, and some versions from the further points. These all have particular points in the 'review table', because there is a lot of cross-comparison between these.

The version the title refers to is a package by Weniger and Roy through "China DOS Union", and is listed in the catalogue as 'ChinaDOS'. It is an interesting package, in that it brings a good number of interesting utilities together, and has some interesting configuration files. My standard Win9x file is based on the file in this version. There's a package of MS-DOS addins that you can replicate MS-DOS 7.1 or MS-DOS 8.0 from your own CD-ROM.

It's hardly a pure MS-DOS 7.1, though. It's more a mix of external utilities, from MS-DOS, PC-DOS, ROMDOS, and a number of freeware utilities. It's certianly boots to 'MS-DOS 7.1', but it's like booting that DOS and running NU on top of it.

I did do a version of MS-DOS 7.1 (review point 2400), which is a composite of the standard and additional utilities from Windows 9x. Unlike the ChinaDOS version, this one is essentially, the MS-DOS 7.1 extracted from Windows 98, along with a number of finds and updates. The DOS is not all that fancy, but it is at least what MS-DOS would have looked like. A project had been started to doing an SI install over a different version of Windows, to test various theories there. Matching this version is MS-DOS 6.3, which started off as a generic 'OLDMSDOS' source, but eventually including the entire DOS.

A similar project at trying to keep to MS-DOS stuff is the Russian MSDOS8 project. This keeps the basic notion that MS-DOS should be as the label says, but run as a standalone. From what i have seen of it, it's quite a good attempt at it. One thing to look for is my help system and qbasic (which has various patches in it, including the Phatcode patch for the floppy-disk seek.) I'm not sure if qbasic in this form is there, but at the help is the first GA version.

mycomputerhelp

Post by mycomputerhelp »

I have the full CD with addons.
http://mywindowspage.com/dos71scd.zip

TheThingThatFlies

Post by TheThingThatFlies »

I have an ISO file of DOS 7.1 with the addons with it.