Microsoft Kills Aero for Release Preview

New news and release discussion.
hogsy

Re: Microsoft Kills Aero for Release Preview

Post by hogsy »

Then WMP is being removed. The Music and Video apps are complete garbage when using the desktop, if you want quick access to control your music then you either switch to it and have it take up your entire screen or you have it take up a quarter of the screen... Ditto for the Video app.
Administrator @ TalonBrave.info; The Dedicated Video-Games Archive
Developer @ OldTimes Software

evangelikevin
Donator

Post by evangelikevin »

hogsy wrote:Then WMP is being removed. The Music and Video apps are complete garbage when using the desktop, if you want quick access to control your music then you either switch to it and have it take up your entire screen or you have it take up a quarter of the screen... Ditto for the Video app.
Meh. That doesn't bother me so much. I usually work split-screen with one side being a media player and the other being for all my other projects anyway. I can see how that might frustrate some people, though.
Yawn.

gamelover101

Post by gamelover101 »

I liked WMP with DirectShow and all that. Codec packs work wonders!
Oops!

Windows XP

Post by Windows XP »

linuxlove wrote:>implying DWM has been removed
>implying uxtheme has been removed

If you don't like it, just wait 'till the style builders get to work.

In reality, pretty much everyone on this board except for me, evangelikevin, Tandyman100 and hounsell all hate Windows 8 so everyone is looking for any reason to hate Windows 8.
I don't hate Windows 8.
I know style builders will make awesome themes.
Stardock may also produce WindowBlinds for Windows 8 PCs (I know people will be wondering who uses it anymore but think: Stardock has already got the Start8.)
Inactive. I also don't have anything ROBLOX-related, anymore. Please don't ask.

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

...people still use Windowblinds?
Really? 0.o

Hrimfaxi

Post by Hrimfaxi »

Derf wrote:...people still use Windowblinds?
Really? 0.o
Shockingly, there are some people out there that are still crazy enough to use Windowblinds. Om nom nom RAM.

Win200095

Post by Win200095 »

I'm GLAD Microsoft got rid of Aero! Aero just hogs down PCs. And besides, I think Windows 8 Preview looks much better without all that transparancy anyway.

gamelover101

Post by gamelover101 »

Win200095 wrote:I'm GLAD Microsoft got rid of Aero! Aero just hogs down PCs. And besides, I think Windows 8 Preview looks much better without all that transparancy anyway.
Hog? No it doesn't. A lot of the rendering doesn't affect the comp. speed. ;)
Oops!

beanboy89

Post by beanboy89 »

It appears that Aero glass still exists in Windows Server 2012 RC (and likely Windows 8 RP, but I haven't tested it yet). After enabling the Desktop Experience in the Server Manager and turning on all visual effects in Performance Options, you get this:

There is still glass, but it's really toned down, and you can no longer adjust the strength of the transparency, only the color intensity of the window borders.

Ciastex

Post by Ciastex »

I don't see a reason why I wouldn't upgrade to Windows 8. If you like glass just switch to Linux with KDE - there you have your glass and some more glass (not that I like the Linux, but KDE looks nice :P). For me, the appearance is fourth thing I need in OS. First three are stability, usability and support from community and publisher. If all of those conditions are satisfied, then I search for eye-candy.

On the other side, I feel pretty happy that Aero goes away. Plus I love Metro (I have Lumia 800 and WP7's really easy-to-use).
--

Gamma

Post by Gamma »

Looks pretty good to me. Doesn't really matter though, you can always mod and change the theme.
Instagram: samxthomas
Flickr: https://www.flic.kr/lucemsequimur

hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Gamma wrote:Looks pretty good to me. Doesn't really matter though, you can always mod and change the theme.
Yes but that isn't especially consumer friendly is it 8-)

Gamma

Post by Gamma »

hogsy wrote:
Gamma wrote:Looks pretty good to me. Doesn't really matter though, you can always mod and change the theme.
Yes but that isn't especially consumer friendly is it 8-)
And?
Instagram: samxthomas
Flickr: https://www.flic.kr/lucemsequimur

john11
Donator

Post by john11 »

beanboy89 wrote:It appears that Aero glass still exists in Windows Server 2012 RC (and likely Windows 8 RP, but I haven't tested it yet).
RP1 still has Aero (and the new format is not even an option yet), but the scroll bars and explorer are a lot flatter, looks more metro, but I'm not sure if I like it.

hogsy

Post by hogsy »

I also believe buttons have a subtle budge appearance though it's a little hard to see.

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

hogsy wrote:I also believe buttons have a subtle budge appearance though it's a little hard to see.
I kinda like the flat buttons in the Release Candidate - it reminds me of Watercolor :D
Goodbye.

hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Yes I was thinking the same ;)

BogdanV

Post by BogdanV »

Kind of offtopic, but perhaps it would've been better if they simply made the Music app as a Metro extension of WMP, like they did with Internet Explorer : same program, two front-ends.
Not only that, but the way WMP uses the Superbar is simply put - sublime. It makes using 1/4 of a screen seem like a ridiculous waste of space.

hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Haha yes I was literally just thinking that now. It would make a whole lot more sense than removing WMP entirely.
I assume Microsoft's tactic is to try and get even desktop users to switch over to using Metro apps...

john11
Donator

Post by john11 »

hogsy wrote:Haha yes I was literally just thinking that now. It would make a whole lot more sense than removing WMP entirely.
I assume Microsoft's tactic is to try and get even desktop users to switch over to using Metro apps...
Which I don't think will work. Why use Metro when you have a desktop?

hogsy

Post by hogsy »

That's like asking why Metro even exists for desktop users to be quite honest.
I've given up really...

evangelikevin
Donator

Post by evangelikevin »

hogsy wrote:That's like asking why Metro even exists for desktop users to be quite honest.
I've given up really...
I would like to note that the Music app is one of the few things I WILL use the Snap feature for, since you can use it in conjunction with the desktop. I usually have several things going on at once, so being able to switch albums without having to close my work window will be nice. I can see how it isn't for everyone, though, as even on my huge screen it took up a good chunk of the real estate.
Yawn.

calupti

Post by calupti »

Pre-RTM Screenshots leaked:
------Calupti

PS. Any comments, remarks, suggestions, complaints?

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

Those screenshots do remind me of Aero Lite in the early M2/M3 builds. I still say they should bring back Watercolor as the default theme.
Goodbye.

JustDC

Post by JustDC »

Tandyman100 wrote:
Jecag wrote:You'll have to forgive me but I don't find theming to be a critical feature. I'm personally with Paul Thurrott on this one, Aero takes up resources and battery life, and Microsoft wants to nab that (again imho) in the butt, besides, they can use that as a selling point that it is resource light and light on battery power consumption.
This. Though I think Aero was gorgeous in Vista, I do agree that you *can* make a visually pleasing OS without relying on flashy-flash graphical nonsense like that.
This.
And in my opinion, this is just the next step in the look of Windows, just as Aero was the next step for Vista and up. Aero, if I remember correctly, was highly critiqued at first. But look at it now, It is looked at as a necessary feature by many. I think in time the same will happen here. And I have no doubts in my mind that some coders will get together and find a way to re-implement DWM/Aero into Windows 8 if it comes down to that.