Private "Win Developer Preview Install Fair" invites sent

New news and release discussion.
Derf
Donator

Private "Win Developer Preview Install Fair" invites sent

Post by Derf »

Got mine yesterday.
Help the Windows team prepare for beta by signing up for the Windows Developer Preview Install Fair

Sign-up to be a part of our virtual install fair. We’d really appreciate your help and for two days only – Saturday, October 8th and Sunday, October 9th – Microsoft will have engineers available to chat with you live about your installation experience. From determining if your PC can run the Windows Developer Preview and downloading all the way through your installation, engineers will be available to answer your questions and troubleshoot any errors you may encounter.

How does the virtual install fair work?
On the day of the event, log-on to our website from the computer on which you intend to install the Windows Developer Preview and follow our instructions. During the process Windows engineers will be available to chat with you in real-time and answer your questions. Or should you encounter any issues, we will be available to debug and troubleshoot. Or if you simply want to provide us feedback about what you like and dislike during the installation, we’re here for that as well.

Accept the Invitation

or copy the following URL and paste it into your Web browser's address bar: *clipped*

A couple of things to keep in mind when deciding to participate.
Remember, the Windows Developer Preview is just that – a preview, pre-beta release. If you are not comfortable with installing Windows and working with pre-release software than this event is not for you. The Windows Developer Preview is not intended to be installed in a production environment and if you intend to install it on your primary PC please keep in mind that there is no way to uninstall it. In order to go back to a previous version of Windows you must have restore or installation media.

Once you are OK with that, you’ll need to make sure that your system meets the minimum requirements. The Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7, including:

· 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
· 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
· 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
· DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
· Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
· To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater

If you are already registered on Connect, another option to accept or decline your invitation is to accessMy Dashboard and click onMy Pending Actions in the upper right corner. Accept and decline links will be available in the display.

If you do not see My Pending Actions, then you are not signing in with the Windows LiveID associated to the Connect account which has this invitation.

After accepting the invitation you may be asked to take a survey or submit further information. In some cases your status could be set to Pending in which case the product team will contact you only if you are chosen for participation. To report a problem, visit the help page.

If you are not interested in participating you need to take no action.

Thank you for your interest, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Program Administrator
Can't wait.

4tified
Donator

Re: Private "Win Developer Preview Install Fair" invites sen

Post by 4tified »

Tech support at your beckon call? Nice. Let us know how it goes!
Laptop: Precision M6300 2.4GHz Core 2 T8300 / 4GB RAM / 320GB HD / ATI Quadro FX 3600m
Server: PowerEdge 1950 (Gen III) (x1) 2.5Ghz Xeon E5420 / 24GB FB-DDR2 / 1.5tb 7.2k SAS RAID 0
Desktop: Precision T5500 2.66GHz Xeon X5650 / 24GB DDR3 ECC / 2x 300GB Seagate 15k7

TechDudeGeorge
Donator

Post by TechDudeGeorge »

Hmm, why are they doing that a month after the release.
Current Windows 8 Leaks: 7850 / 7929 / 7955 / 7959 (x64) / 7989 (x64)
Current Windows 8 Releases: Windows Developer Preview - 8102 (M3) , Windows 8 Consumer Preview - 8250, Windows 8 Release Preview - 8400
Future Release: Windows 8

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

Where can I get invited? Or how?

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

It's not the sort of thing that you can request to be invited to - Microsoft either choses you or they don't, unfortunately. :\

viper
Donator

Post by viper »

Hmm,
did you install the W8 DP "Send Feedback Tool" on any DP installs?

I Dl it but haven't installed it yet.

Windows 8 Beta Fan
Donator

Post by Windows 8 Beta Fan »

Wow they're getting ready for the BETA!

Andrew Tapferke
Donator

Post by Andrew Tapferke »

Windows 8 Beta Fan wrote:Wow they're getting ready for the BETA!
It is Windows Developer Preview (8102.101). Nothing new. Just a way to chat with the windevs.

Windows 8 Beta Fan
Donator

Andrew Tapferke wrote:
Windows 8 Beta Fan wrote:Wow they're getting ready for the BETA!
It is Windows Developer Preview (8102.101). Nothing new. Just a way to chat with the windevs.
it says to get our team prepared for the beta ;)

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Which is just a nice expression of looking for bugs and fixing them... 8-) They obviously don't reffer directly to the beta, but are curious to find any show stoppers...

Windows 8 Beta Fan
Donator

DeFacto wrote:Which is just a nice expression of looking for bugs and fixing them... 8-) They obviously don't reffer directly to the beta, but are curious to find any show stoppers...
yeah the bugs will show up too this way they fix those when they start updating to beta :beta:

Vista custo

Post by Vista custo »

Checked my email and found an invite, I'll gladly give them a few suggestions on how to improve the installation and setup routine. :P

BChat

Post by BChat »

I got one today, went to provided link, filled out survey and am awaiting acceptance to the program.

Phenom II

Post by Phenom II »

No thanks, and if I am invited I will politely decline.

How boring would that be... the Dev P is boring enough as it is without having to talk to MS about it
"The people who know, won't say, and the people who say, don't know."

BChat

Post by BChat »

BChat wrote:I got one today, went to provided link, filled out survey and am awaiting acceptance to the program.
I got the following email last night - looks like I was accepted - I think this is more about install via download than the WDP itself

Welcome!

Greetings from Microsoft Connect,
Welcome to the Windows Developer Preview Install Fair! We’re excited to start the event this weekend and help you with your installation.
The Connect site will officially open onFriday, October 7th at 5:00pm PDT. Please log into the site during any of the times listed below to receive your installation instructions and begin the Windows Developer Preview download.
We’ll have support engineers available to assist you during the following times:
PDT (UTC-7) UTC
Friday, October 7, 2011

5:00pm to 11:00pm Saturday, October 8, 2011
12:00am and 4:00am
Saturday, October 8, 2011
8:00am to 6:00pm Saturday, October 8, 2011
3:00pm and 11:00pm
Sunday, October 9, 2011
8:00am and 1:00pm Sunday, October 9, 2011
3:00pm and 8:00pm

A few of things to keep in mind as you prepare for your installation this weekend:
• The download that we will be providing you is approximately 2GB. Depending on the speed of your Internet connection this could take a while to complete.
• The time it will take for your installation to complete depends on which installation method you select and can range anywhere from 20 minutes to more than an hour if you want to keep all of your programs, files, and settings in-place.
• Please plan to try to have your installation finished by no later than 1:00pm PDT on Sunday, October 9th (8pm UTC on Sunday, October 9th). Once you are finished, please log into the Connect site again to let us know how things went by completing a quick survey.
• Lastly, you will be installing the Windows Developer Preview, which is a pre-beta release. If you are not comfortable with installing Windows and working with pre-release software than this event is not for you. The Windows Developer Preview is not intended to be installed in a production environment and if you intend to install it on your primary PC please keep in mind that there is no way to uninstall it. In order to go back to a previous version of Windows you must have restore or installation media.

xpclient

Post by xpclient »

Well the biggest improvement they can make to installation is if they bring back slipstreaming service packs and speed up installing the MSU updates by an order of magnitude (installing updates on XP was very quick). Windows 8/7/Vista installation completes today in about 15 minutes but it takes too long to install a service pack and post SP-updates. Only those who know where to look (cough)torrent(cough) and people with MSDN subscription have access to ISOs which integrate the service pack.
xpclient
Huge Microsoft fan and old software collector since Windows 3.0 and MS-DOS :mrgreen:
I did the testing and feedback for Classic Shell.

rafaelgs

Post by rafaelgs »

xpclient wrote:Well the biggest improvement they can make to installation is if they bring back slipstreaming service packs and speed up installing the MSU updates by an order of magnitude (installing updates on XP was very quick). Windows 8/7/Vista installation completes today in about 15 minutes but it takes too long to install a service pack and post SP-updates. Only those who know where to look (cough)torrent(cough) and people with MSDN subscription have access to ISOs which integrate the service pack.
PS: Windows Developer Preview installs very fast;
     //We are Amanda~
     using Amanda.Carolina;

Windows 8 Beta Fan
Donator

I got mine three (3) days ago Yay!

gulshan666

Post by gulshan666 »

Please Share whatever you are invited to :)
.::::gulshan::::.
My PC Config:
HP ZR30w 30 LCD
Cooler Master RC-932-KKN5-GP
Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition 3.46GHz
ASUS Sabertooth X58
RAZER Black USB Wired BlackWidow Ultimate
12 Gig RAM
1 x 2 TeraByte HDD
GeForce GTX 580