Nashville KERNEL32.DLL

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
98fan

Nashville KERNEL32.DLL

Post by 98fan »

Nashville on the BA server has a copy of KERNEL32.DLL and NW16.DLL (Netware API stubs) in the win95 folder of the ISO. KERNEL32.DLL is 24kb larger than the one inside the CAB files and NW16.DLL isn't listed in the LAYOUT.INF file at all. Both are version 4.10.999 (but version numbers can be changed)

Any ideas about this?

98fan

Re: Nashville KERNEL32.DLL

Post by 98fan »

Since nobody has any ideas about these two files in the Nashville win95 folder I decided to install Nashville both with and without them present.

If NW16.DLL isn't in the win95 folder the Nashville install routine looks for it and tells you it can't find it and gives you the option to look for it or skip it. That's a bit surprising since NW16.DLL isn't listed in LAYOUT.INF. If you skip NW16.DLL then the old Win 95 version remains in place. I guess NW16.DLL is there for a reason.

If KERNEL32.DLL isn't in the win95 folder then Nashville uses the copy that is inside the CAB files without any message. If the larger version IS in the win95 folder then the Nashville install routine uses that copy instead. Not a bad way to install an upgraded file during installation.

Interesting that Microsoft would give two different versions of the same file for the same OS the same version number. There is a lesson in that I think.

Nashville has some interesting graphics effects but some things were not implemented. For instance it doesn't save the view setting in Windows Explorer. Other than that I think some of the fancy graphics would become become annoying after a while and would be switched off by most users. I couldn't find a way to switch them off in Nashville.

Just about every article I have read about Nashville says that some of the features in Nashville were incorporated into Internet Explorer 4. Really??? I don't see it. Are these articles are just quoting each other or is there something I am missing?

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

After Nashville was canceled, it became a codename for IE4 and some Explorer integration originally planned for Nashville was asigned to it. Remember, Nashville --> IE4 --> Windows 98... So some stuff did move to IE...

98fan

Post by 98fan »

DeFacto wrote:So some stuff did move to IE...
Yeah, but what stuff exactly?

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

It's up to you to find out... ;)

98fan

Post by 98fan »

I'll take that to mean that you don't know either. ^^
It's hard to figure because Nashville doesn't come with IE and neither does win 95 4.00.950 so I don't see how Nashville morphed into IE4. The files that make up IE just aren't there. Anyway, I hope some Microsoft insiders will write a history one day. They are probably sworn to secrecy at the moment. Maybe when they start retiring....

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Remember Antena PIM... ;)

98fan

Post by 98fan »

Yeah, ok. So it was the desktop update that shipped with IE4 that delivered the features promised for Nashville rather IE 4 itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Nashville

dans34
Donator

Post by dans34 »

what happens if you install them on a regular windows 95 ?

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

98fan wrote:Yeah, ok. So it was the desktop update that shipped with IE4 that delivered the features promised for Nashville rather IE 4 itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Nashville
yep, you guessed it... ;)