Microsoft Plus! for Windows NT 4.0

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Daniel

Microsoft Plus! for Windows NT 4.0

Post by Daniel »

Just noticed this in the NT 4.0 Resource Kit while cleaning up my drive:

Anybody with more information about it? I never heard of it before and can't find anything....

FoobyZeeky
Donator

Re: Microsoft Plus! for Windows NT 4.0

Post by FoobyZeeky »

Daniel wrote:Just noticed this in the NT 4.0 Resource Kit while cleaning up my drive:

Anybody with more information abou it? I never heard of it before and can't find anything....
Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95

This was the first version of Plus! and included Space Cadet Pinball, the Internet Jumpstart Kit (which was the introduction of Internet Explorer 1.0), DriveSpace 3 and Compression Agent disk compression utilities, the initial release of theme support along with a set of 12 themes, dial-up networking server, dial-up scripting tool, and the graphical improvements such as anti-aliased screen fonts, full-window drag, the ability to stretch or shrink the wallpaper to fit the screen and highcolor icons. Task Scheduler as it is present in later Windows versions was included as System Agent. A utility to notify the user of low disk space (DiskAlm.exe) also ran as part of System Agent. Plus! for Windows 95 was initially marketed for adding features for high-performance computers so Windows 95 could meet the minimum system requirement of an 80386 CPU with 4 megabytes of RAM.[citation needed] Later releases of Windows 95 (OSR2 and onwards) included DriveSpace 3 and Internet Explorer 3.0. Windows 98 included all of the enhancements except the Pinball game, which was included in all Windows releases starting with Windows 2000, although Windows NT 4.0 also included it.
I dunno, maybe they're the Pinball files, the descriptions of which never got changed, and originally Pinball was going to be part of Plus! for NT 4.0 which was in the end never released. Just a theory...

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Plus!)
sup

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

I guess Microsoft intended to release the first Plus! package for NT systems (NT 4.0) back in 1996/1997 but later cancelled because maybe of the Option Pack was coming (No source for this, just a guess, remember)

Edit: a question, was Plus! for Windows 98 released at the same time as the retail Windows 98? Windows 95 Plus! was, but I don't remember for Windows 98 Plus!.
Last edited by TheCollector1988 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FoobyZeeky
Donator

Post by FoobyZeeky »

I wonder if more files labelled as "Microsoft(R) Plus! for Windows(R) NT 4.0" appear in other Cairo builds.
sup

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Interesting... :o

FoobyZeeky
Donator

Post by FoobyZeeky »

Has this NEVER been found before, then? I don't find any references to it on Google except this thread.
sup

DarkerJ
Donator

Post by DarkerJ »

There is Plus! for Windows NT as illustrated by the screenshot above. However, I don't think it comes as a separate package.
<°)))><●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬●><(((°>
When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Part of P!us appeared as the base install of Windows, especially the properties in 'display'. Pinball (the game) started in P!us, also. These files in the display look like part of the attachment for the display control panel, i dare say.

There is also themes for NT4, which appears with the resource kit v0-2. This adds themes functionality to nt4. NT5 already has this.

madalin88

Post by madalin88 »

Didn't knew there was a Plus! for NT4

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

I thought it was the #1 reason people bought the NT 4 Resource Kit...

But I certainly used it back in the day, if not for the screensavers & wallpapers.

NT was targeted to corporate people who always bought resource kits, I guess thats why there was no real 'plus pack' as corporate people would need a new PO set for ordering that, while with the new version of NT it'd be the same thing and the accountants wouldn't go wild.
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

Oh and the other thing on the resource kits was the POSIX sdk components, but I guess it didn't matter I've never seen anyone seriously try to use POSIX after they find out there is no TCP/IP.

Not until they bought the internetix people
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

DarkerJ
Donator

Post by DarkerJ »

louisw3 wrote:I thought it was the #1 reason people bought the NT 4 Resource Kit...

But I certainly used it back in the day, if not for the screensavers & wallpapers.

NT was targeted to corporate people who always bought resource kits, I guess thats why there was no real 'plus pack' as corporate people would need a new PO set for ordering that, while with the new version of NT it'd be the same thing and the accountants wouldn't go wild.
Maybe before Neptune they have tried to make something like a home edition of NT 4, with the Plus! pack as an addon?
<°)))><●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬●><(((°>
When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa