Longhorn 08 Final!

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
Evil2828

Longhorn 08 Final!

Post by Evil2828 »

I found an interesting page with a newer (apparently final version of longhorn 08!)
anyway here is your link!

http://longhorn08.site90.net/index.html

Panda X
Donator

Re: Longhorn 08 Final!

Post by Panda X »

It installed Firefox 2? What what what?!

Also I'm not sure if he's aware of this or not, but it's 2010. 2008 was two years ago.

tushar_verma_333

Post by tushar_verma_333 »

the download link isnt working it opens up a google custon search page
could you please post a working link

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

It's already been posted once in Downloads Requests/Offers.

It's an awful rip of an ageing modification that brings nothing new to the party and is liable to break functionality.

You can read my "review" of it in this post.

Kobi

Post by Kobi »

hounsell wrote:It's already been posted once in Downloads Requests/Offers.

It's an awful rip of an ageing modification that brings nothing new to the party and is liable to break functionality.

You can read my "review" of it in this post.
Now I understand why you had grumbled this on joejoe. What is the hidden window bug what he had fixed ?
I also don't know exactly what he done in these fixes ...
-Installs Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 and patches Internet Explorer 6.05 and Windows Explorer with side by side configurations to stop them from breaking
-Installs a recompiled copy of WindowsBase.dll with Threading bugs fixed
-Installs a recompiled copy of System.Windows.Explorer.dll with most notable hang bug fixed after DWM is enabled for a long time. However LimExplorer patch is still included since it is MilCore that causes the other problem. Additionaly, the new folder bug has been fixed within the actual DLL so a reg import is not nessecary.
-Fixed shader bug in Milcore.dll
-Fixes to Desktop server

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Kobi wrote:-Installs Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 and patches Internet Explorer 6.05 and Windows Explorer with side by side configurations to stop them from breaking
-Installs a recompiled copy of WindowsBase.dll with Threading bugs fixed
-Installs a recompiled copy of System.Windows.Explorer.dll with most notable hang bug fixed after DWM is enabled for a long time. However LimExplorer patch is still included since it is MilCore that causes the other problem. Additionaly, the new folder bug has been fixed within the actual DLL so a reg import is not nessecary.
-Fixed shader bug in Milcore.dll
-Fixes to Desktop server
- Didn't actually even work for me. .NET Framework 2.0 failed to install (He'd failed to fix a common issue with WinSxS that prevents .NET 2.0 installing on Longhorn), and I also didn't get the explorer.exe.config copied right.
- "Recompiled" copies don't work. They're installed to the wrong place for a start, showing complete incompetence when understanding Windows, then shows complete incompetence in .NET by failing to fix the strong-name verification and signing issues (which prevent modified DLLs from executing. Whilst it is theoretically possible to work around such an issue, in this case, it'd requiring manually patching practically the entire .NET Framework bit-by-bit to accept the DLLs, and then it's likely there's still be blocking issues. I investigated this avenue thoroughly in Longhorn 08. There's a reason we ditched such a complex idea)
- The other "patches" are invariably just taken from other modifications, and described incorrectly a lot of cases.
- The bundled software is just criminal. Firefox 2 and Element Software crap? Are you serious?

It's also a bloody pisstake to call this Longhorn 08, a customisation that a lot of effort and thought went into. Admittedly, you can't see a lot of that, because Longhorn was a pretty restrictive platform, but there's few avenues we didn't dig around in. It's then insulting to rip that work, bugger it up, and redistribute it using the same name.

Evil2828

Post by Evil2828 »

good thing I never bothered to download this then XD