First version of Windows on CD-ROM?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
xpclient

First version of Windows on CD-ROM?

Post by xpclient »

Some of these I dunno and some of these I wish to confirm:
1. Which was the first version of Windows to be available on CD-ROM? Was it NT 3.1?
2. And was Windows 95 the first consumer version on CD-ROM?
3. Which is the first Windows with bootable CD? Windows NT 4.0? or some OEM Windows 95?
4. Was Windows 98 the first consumer version to be released only on CD-ROM?
5. Isn't Windows 7 the first client Windows to be DVD-only? (Vista also had setup from CD option?)
xpclient
Huge Microsoft fan and old software collector since Windows 3.0 and MS-DOS :mrgreen:
I did the testing and feedback for Classic Shell.

Ken_

Re: First version of Windows on CD-ROM?

Post by Ken_ »

xpclient wrote:Some of these I dunno and some of these I wish to confirm:
1. Which was the first version of Windows to be available on CD-ROM? Was it NT 3.1?
3. Was Windows 98 the first consumer version to be released only on CD-ROM?
4. Isn't Windows 7 the first client Windows to be DVD-only? (Vista also had setup from CD option?)
1. NT 3.1 came on CD for anyone that wanted the CD version, Win 3.1 came on CD in the MS Subscriptions only...
2. See above, I have NT 3.1 boxed, on floppy, it also came with a card I could fill out & send to MS to request a CD of it...
3. Win 98 1st edition also came on floppy, last edition to come on floppy, & first Win9x to come on a bootable CD...

Coppermine
Donator

Post by Coppermine »

1. Maybe Windows 3.0 Multimedia Edition?
4. Windows 98 was released on floppies.
5. Yes, Vista has the Setup on CDs.
Last edited by Coppermine on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live Windows XP!

Ken_

Post by Ken_ »

Coppermine wrote:1. Maybe Windows 3.0 Multimedia Edition?
Yeah, dead right, I forgot about that, I have an IBM branded version of it here somewhere...

pizzaboy192

Post by pizzaboy192 »

Ken_ wrote:
Yeah, dead right, I forgot about that, I have an IBM branded version of it here somewhere...
And I've got the Gateway version... not bootable though =( (not without a small mod atleast)

GL1zdA

Post by GL1zdA »

Ken_ wrote:
Is it for the PS/2? Could you upload it?

win98
Donator

Post by win98 »

Windows 98 FE CD's weren't boot able as far as I know the first was SE and it was only OEM discs and both the ones from computer makers or the ones you could buy yourself for when building a PC were bootable so it wasn't just recovery disks only.
PC Gamer and hardware plus software enthusiast (especially betas).

Ken_

Post by Ken_ »

win98 wrote:Windows 98 FE CD's weren't boot able as far as I know the first was SE and it was only OEM discs and both the ones from computer makers or the ones you could buy yourself for when building a PC were bootable so it wasn't just recovery disks only.
ImageImage

Win98 1st Edition with Plus! is also bootable..!
ImageImage

& like all other Win9x series, this one isn't bootable..!
ImageImage

Edited for shorter picture layout & spelling..!
Last edited by Ken_ on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Cats869
Donator

Post by Cats869 »

xpclient wrote:5. Isn't Windows 7 the first client Windows to be DVD-only? (Vista also had setup from CD option?)
Like the other person said, yes Vista had setup from CD option but they also have a DVD to install it.
My YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/xComputerWizardx
Visit my CSS clan here by going to www.tmuservers.net! We have CS:S, TF2, and Minecraft servers!

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

xpclient wrote:1. Which was the first version of Windows to be available on CD-ROM? Was it NT 3.1?
3. Which is the first Windows with bootable CD? Windows NT 4.0? or some OEM Windows 95?
4. Was Windows 98 the first consumer version to be released only on CD-ROM?
5. Isn't Windows 7 the first client Windows to be DVD-only? (Vista also had setup from CD option?)
1. Some version of Microsoft Windows 3.x
2. The first consumer version available on a CD-ROM is a version of Microsoft Windows 3.x. EDIT: The last version available on floppy disks was Microsoft Windows 98.
3. Microsoft Windows NT 3.10.
4. Yes
5. Probably yes.
Last edited by Random_User on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:59 am, edited 7 times in total.

Ken_

Post by Ken_ »

I really don't know why I even bother to post, seems there's just some here who make it a point of going against
all other responses in threads, & dribble on like they have any idea themselves...
I'm sure most of you will know who I'm referring to, I refuse to even aknowledge his existence here so I wont
quote him, though I'm sure he'll edit his post once I've posted this...
98 1st edition was the last to be released on floppy, 1 bootdisk & 38 setup disks...
I released them on OSBA long ago...

win98
Donator

Post by win98 »

[quote="Ken_"][/quote]
I stand corrected though before today i'd only ever seen / heard of bootable SE discs as thats the edition most people used due to it being more stable.
PC Gamer and hardware plus software enthusiast (especially betas).

Ken_

Post by Ken_ »

win98 wrote:
Ken_ wrote:
I stand corrected though before today i'd only ever seen / heard of bootable SE discs as thats the edition most people used due to it being more stable.
Yeah no probs, even some of the Win98 betas were bootable, though the 1650 bootable CD was a bugger up on MS's behalf,
they used an NT5 boot sector to make it bootable, seems like that one might have been rushed out the door...

In looking for that Win3.0 MME CD I found another win98 1st edition CD, according to it's part number was released in
Dec 98, & according to it's files within the cabs has updated java & DX, I'm wondering if perhaps it's a Y2k updated version...

ImageImageImage

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Offtopic Comment
Random_User wrote:...
Do you really have to quote all things said like that you wrote it?
You just copyed it -.- and edited ones Ken_ posted later on, please STOP doing that, it is really getting irritating!.

And thanks Ken_
For much interesting facts!

Jens
Donator

Post by Jens »

Cool - I didn't know, that Windows 98 was officially available on Floppies until now. I suppose they aren't too common and quite a collector's item?!

southeastsa

Post by southeastsa »

Ken_ wrote: In looking for that Win3.0 MME CD I found another win98 1st edition CD, according to it's part number was released in
Dec 98, & according to it's files within the cabs has updated java & DX, I'm wondering if perhaps it's a Y2k updated version...
I did some research on this a few months ago, and it seems that some Java files were changed because of yet another Microsoft vs Sun legal issue. When comparing the original 98 FE CD, and the 1298 CD, there are only really Java differences from memory.

There are no Y2K fixes in the 1298 edition, as these shipped on another CD.

Ken_

Post by Ken_ »

Yeah I didn't place too much thought into what it might have been different for before posting, thinking about it now
of course both the java & DX3.cab files are used by the browser...

ricardo12458

Post by ricardo12458 »

I agree, the ABSOLUTE first version of Windows on CD is Windows 3.0/MPC.
155MB, to be exact.....

-R
CONNECT 26400/24000/V34/LAPM/V42B
Yes, I live in an area without competent digital communications services. [The DSL is crap, and there's no fibre service in my town]

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I used an OEM version of DOS and Windows 3.11 on cdrom, when i was preparing my first cdrom (1995), so windows 3.1 was certianly OEM released on cdrom as early as this.

Since we note also that Windows 3.0 MME was intended for computers that had cdroms (part of the mmpc 1 specs), so it would have been a cdrom release. Note also that all cdrom releases seen to date of Windows 3.x and DOS have been uncompressed files.