Learning OS X developing on OSX 10.1

Discuss OS X and OS X Server.
SystemV

Learning OS X developing on OSX 10.1

Post by SystemV »

Hi there,

I got an old PowerMac G3 bw with an installed OS X 10.1 Puma. Now I want to try some first steps in developing on this machine, but at Apples website I just can find XCode 1.0 which needs OS X 10.3. Google tells me that I need some program called 'Project Builder 2.0' to compile programs for OS X 10.1. Does anyone know a link to this version or a useable version of 'Project Builder' to run on Puma. That is not a software request for BAs FTP server, because I know the 10 posts limit and so. But this free developemant tool of apple is no longer available at Apples website. So perhaps there is another download source at the web, or another Apple webpage which offer this version.

Thanks a lot for your help

SystemV

RacerX

Re: Learning OS X developing on OSX 10.1

Post by RacerX »

I don't believe either 10.0 or 10.1 came with the Developer Tools... back then you still needed to be part of Apple's developer program to get that software (only ever distributed on CDs). The first version to include the Developer Tools with the OS install disks was 10.2... but it was all part of the set, not a separate/free download.

I don't know if the versions included with 10.2 or 10.3 will work with 10.1 (I doubt it), so odds are you'd need to find someone willing to sell/give away the versions of the Developer Tools from the developer program for 10.0/10.1.

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

Well, my iMac G4 shipped with Mac OS X 10.1.5, however on the disks i had not only 10.1.5 but also retail update to 10.2. I've just looked at the Developer Tools that were included and they are indeed for 10.2 or later:

If you, or anyone else want it anyway, i can upload it. I can also upload the retail upgrate to Mac OS X 10.2

SystemV

Post by SystemV »

Well, it would be a great help if you would upload both. At the moment I can't access to BA FTP but with the time and after some useful posts and answers and more experience with MAC OS X i hope to get access. Thanks a lot for your fast reply and the help you will give.

SystemV

neonsonicboy
Donator

Post by neonsonicboy »

Project Builder was the old name for Xcode. And once you get FTP access there's plenty of PPC betas

If you want to learn Objective-C, Apple's reference library is a big help, and I believe the getting started stuff can be viewed with a free account but I'll check.

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

Developer Tools: http://153.19.170.21/Apple/Developer%20Tools.dmg
You'll have to wait propably until tomorrow for the OS X 10.2 update. It's 1GB and i got very slow upload

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

RacerX wrote:I don't believe either 10.0 or 10.1 came with the Developer Tools... back then you still needed to be part of Apple's developer program to get that software (only ever distributed on CDs). The first version to include the Developer Tools with the OS install disks was 10.2... but it was all part of the set, not a separate/free download.
There were Developer Tools for all versions of OS X if you got the retail box:

Image Image

However, you'd be far better off just upgrading your Blue and White G3 to OS X 10.4 Tiger (or 10.5 Leopard if you install a G4 processor upgrade) and using the Xcode package for Tiger that is on the Apple Developer website, as 10.1, 10.2 etc are prehistoric these days so you'll be learning very outdated stuff.

neonsonicboy
Donator

Post by neonsonicboy »

Yes, Objective-C 2 is current now, and that was introduced in Leopard. It's not worth using 10.1 any more, in fact I would strongly recommend an Intel machine.

RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
RacerX wrote:I don't believe either 10.0 or 10.1 came with the Developer Tools... back then you still needed to be part of Apple's developer program to get that software (only ever distributed on CDs). The first version to include the Developer Tools with the OS install disks was 10.2... but it was all part of the set, not a separate/free download.
There were Developer Tools for all versions of OS X if you got the retail box:
I don't have my 10.0 packaging anymore, so I most likely have that disk mixed in with all the other ones I got from Apple. I was given the free 10.1 upgrade from Apple which only included the 10.1 upgrade CD and the 9.2 upgrade CD, but no developer tools disk. I had stopped paying for my developer membership around the time of the release of 10.2, and I still have the full packaging for that release (and all subsequent releases).

I'd guess that the developer tools that included WebObjects elements are the ones Apple sent me.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Any uploads of these dev discs (or upgrade discs) would be nice, I can add them to the abandonware section.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

RacerX wrote:I don't have my 10.0 packaging anymore, so I most likely have that disk mixed in with all the other ones I got from Apple. I was given the free 10.1 upgrade from Apple which only included the 10.1 upgrade CD and the 9.2 upgrade CD, but no developer tools disk. I had stopped paying for my developer membership around the time of the release of 10.2, and I still have the full packaging for that release (and all subsequent releases).

I'd guess that the developer tools that included WebObjects elements are the ones Apple sent me.
Yep, I've got the 10.0/10.1 upgrade packs as well and they don't seem to include the Developer Tools, only the full retail boxes look to have done. No WebObjects goodies as far as I can see for us non-ADC members though, except for with OS X Server you of course get the disc with the WebObjects software itself - you must have got a lot of interesting stuff as an ADC member, I turned up a couple of interesting ADC OS X Server 10.0 beta seed discs on eBay recently that look like they are a few of the many that subscribers used to get! Presumably the ADC discs look different to the grey ones that came with the retail sets, are they marked as ADC like the beta seed ones that I found are?