POSSIBLE LEAK: Windows Neptune 5056

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
LongerHorn

Re: POSSIBLE LEAK: Windows Neptune 5056

Post by LongerHorn »

Battler wrote:- LongerHorn: How do you explain the December 1999 certificate with a file date of May 1999?
Battler, I can't. This isn't a leak from my original media, and I won't know until my friend ships the disc. Sorry :(

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Battler wrote:- LongerHorn: How do you explain the December 1999 certificate with a file date of May 1999?
Occam's Razor.
Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
The answer with the fewest assumptions is that Time Travel is possible, and in order to speed up their compilation times, Microsoft have built Build Labs that exist in a craft capable of travel through time.

Much more likely that someone lying on the internet, if you ask me.

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

LongerHorn wrote:I won't know until my friend ships the disc. Sorry :(
I don't think "your friend" has a disc. It was initially uploaded to some kid's forum, probably to troll said kid. (he's been permabanned from BA 3 times in a period of several days, I know some known trolls within the beta community knew about him.) Interesting that you fell for it aswell...
http://releasearchive.boards.net/thread ... built-5056

LongerHorn

Post by LongerHorn »

The Distractor wrote:
LongerHorn wrote:I won't know until my friend ships the disc. Sorry :(
I don't think "your friend" has a disc. It was initially uploaded to some kid's forum, probably to troll said kid. (he's been permabanned from BA 3 times in a period of several days, I know some known trolls within the beta community knew about him.) Interesting that you fell for it aswell...
http://releasearchive.boards.net/thread ... built-5056
I did not fall for anything. This was messaged to me by an anonymous source who I actually know. I'm not blind to the fact it could be fake...

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

hounsell wrote:Much more likely that someone lying on the internet, if you ask me.
Ah well, it's always worth an analysis to see if we didn't stumple upon another Cougar 28.
I'm still quite excited. If it turns out to be fake, I guess everything's back to normal.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Don't worry, Longerhorn. You won't need to come up with any explanations for the validity or lack thereof. You won't get a disc. The disc is a lie. The build is a lie. The cake is a lie.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

James

Post by James »

Now, now, lads. Let's calm down and not break rules.

LongerHorn

Post by LongerHorn »

Wheatley wrote:Don't worry, Longerhorn. You won't need to come up with any explanations for the validity or lack thereof. You won't get a disc. The disc is a lie. The build is a lie. The cake is a lie.
For the community's sake, I hope you're wrong :P
Offtopic Comment
Of course the cake is a lie!

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

LongerHorn wrote:
Wheatley wrote:Don't worry, Longerhorn. You won't need to come up with any explanations for the validity or lack thereof. You won't get a disc. The disc is a lie. The build is a lie. The cake is a lie.
Offtopic Comment
I wonder if your "source" can send you a photo of his disk and you post it here. Just wondering. :)
James wrote:I wonder how you would explain the fact that during setup, "winver" says the OS is licensed to William H. Gates III / Microsoft Corp... that's pretty unusual, don't you think? :p
See this topic: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31194

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

LongerHorn wrote:For the community's sake, I hope you're wrong :P
lol no.

Wheatley has been a valuable member of our community, and I would NOT expect him to lie like that.

I'm pretty sure the disc doesn't even exist anyway...
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

DiskingRound wrote:
LongerHorn wrote:
Offtopic Comment
I wonder if your "source" can send you a photo of his disk and you post it here. Just wondering. :)
You break the alleged vehicle the in which alleged disc is allegedly transported at this exact moment.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

LongerHorn

Post by LongerHorn »

DiskingRound wrote: I wonder if your "source" can send you a photo of his disk and you post it here. Just wondering. :)
See this topic: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31194
Good idea. I'll message him about that. he hasn't replied to my previous message, and I don't think I'll hear from him until morning.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

LongerHorn wrote:Good idea. I'll message him about that. he hasn't replied to my previous message, and I don't think I'll hear from him until morning.
You know, if you really wanted to impress us with that build, you could have gotten ALL that information from day one...
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

I wouldn't wait for him if I were you. At least the cake was real in the end of Portal 1. This, however is still as fake as it gets. A lie, in other words. This build is 5111 with modified build numbers and file dates. Anyone who cares enough to whip out file comparison tools will know. Battler also presented clear evidence of this being fake.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Will anyone post some screenshots of the desktop? Or anything else other than words or setup?
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

yourepicfailure wrote:Will anyone post some screenshots of the desktop? Or anything else other than words or setup?
I would if VMware Tools of PCEM-X would cooperate with this build.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

James

Post by James »

Windows OS wrote:
yourepicfailure wrote:Will anyone post some screenshots of the desktop? Or anything else other than words or setup?
I would if VMware Tools of PCEM-X would cooperate with this build.
PCem-X is an accurate emulation of hardware... you don't use VMWare Tools... you get the actual drivers from the original hardware manufacturer... like ATi... :/

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

James wrote: PCem-X is an accurate emulation of hardware... you don't use VMWare Tools... you get the actual drivers from the original hardware manufacturer... like ATi... :/
Yeah, but so far, I'm having problems with this build on PCem-X. I'll keep working on it.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

yourepicfailure
Donator

Looks like I'll have to waste the rest of my tiny drive(8gb, 90% full) to md5 the files.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

The files iyuv_32.dll and tsbyuv.dll in the DRIVER.CAB cabinet of this 5056 have build number 5111. More evidence for fakery.

Edit: And tosdvd.sys in the same cabinet has build number 5095.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

DiskingRound

Re: Windows Neptune 5056

Post by DiskingRound »

Overdoze wrote:
xZEROx wrote:I was under the impression that Neptune had only one build ever compiled from source?
We know at least 2 builds were made. Aside from 5111.1, there's also a 5111.6 which was also probably distributed to someone.
Build 5111.6 disk picture for reference:

Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Here you go:
I feel like if it is obvious that this build is fake, just everything from 5111 is here, AutoUpdate or even the same Activity Centers. There isn't any difference except some changed build numbers.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Exactly, Valerio. This *is* 5111.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Just looking through the files in the ISO make me believe more and more this 'build' is fake.
MD5's coming up. If you guys also want sha256's just ask.

LongerHorn

Post by LongerHorn »

Valerio wrote:Here you go:
I feel like if it is obvious that this build is fake, just everything from 5111 is here, AutoUpdate or even the same Activity Centers. There isn't any difference except some changed build numbers.
That's what I originally thought, so I came here for help. It's sad to think a close friend was lying, or maybe someone was lying to him. This is a very elaborate fake, nevertheless.